Dar-es-Salaam Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Dar-es-Salaam Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
We were not allowed inside the Airport lobby so we had to stay outside. Security is OK but you have to have a tireless fight with mosquitoes. - rowlandmichael
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported back to us during their time at Julius Nyerere International Airport.
What to Expect
- A small international airport with two terminals (Terminals II and III), and very limited shopping and dining options. 24-hour dining is available.
- Some areas of the airport terminal are not air-conditioned, so dress in layers that can be removed if you get too warm.
- Uncomfortable seating, and seemingly not enough for everyone at the airport.
- One reviewer reported seeing cockroaches in the food display units at landside food concessions but not airside, so eat at your own risk.
- Reviews are mixed on the cleanliness of the bathrooms, but be sure to use one before you disembark the plane or before you leave the airport. Traffic in Dar Es Salaam is terrible, so you don’t want to be stuck while having to go!
- No WiFi, no flight display boards and barely any overhead announcements.
Where to Sleep
- One of our reviewers slept in the airport without incident. The seats are uncomfortable but armrest-free. Although sleeping in the airport will invite curious stares, airport security will probably leave you alone.
- For uninterrupted sleep, there are hotels near the airport. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
Good to Know
- Economy class passengers can pay to enter the airport’s first class lounge, and reviewers for this airport highly recommend it for its superior amenities. See Airport Lounges in the airport guide below for locations and rates.
For more information about the services and facilities available, scroll down to continue exploring our Dar Es Salaam Airport Guide. Send us your airport tips to help us keep this information up to date.
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
If you are an economy class traveller, you can enter these lounges at Dar-es-Salaam airport either by purchasing a lounge pass or through a membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details (ie. facilities, hours, pass and membership information):
- Tanzanite Lounge - Location: Terminal 2, Airside. Hours: open 24 hours. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door • Book Online (£20 - minimum 24 hour advance purchase is required)
As of this update we were unable to confirm whether internet access is available outside of the Tanzanite Lounge. If you know, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If attempting to sleep in the Dar es Salaam Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Transit Motel Airport - (5 min from the airport) Airport transfers are available for $5.00 USD each way. The Motel offers a day rate of $25.00 USD.
- Tanzanite Executive Suites - (15 min from the airport / 3 minutes from the ferry to Zanzibar) Airport transfers are available for $25.00 USF each way upon request.
- Hotel Nikko Towers - (20 min from the airport / 3 minutes from the ferry to Zanzibar) Airport transfers are available ($).
- Tiffany Diamond Hotel & Spa- (20 min from the airport) 3 minutes from the ferry to Zanzibar. Shuttle service to airport and ferry are available upon request, airport shuttle is $25.00 USD each way.
To find a cheap room, there is a list of hotels near Dar es Salaam Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - 2 ATM cash machines are available landside, none inside
- Children's Play Areas - not available
- Currency Exchange - Yes
- Food & Drinks - At the time of this update there were no known 24-hour food concessions. Food is available in the Departures Lounge and outside. There is nothing available in the Arrivals area.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - not available
- Showers - not available
The airport is open 24 hours.
Travel like the locals do! Shared-ride minivans called “daladalas” run along the main road in front of the airport. Make sure the one you hire is heading to your destination before you hop in!
Fixed-rate taxis are readily available for hire in the ground transportation area of the airport. Cheaper rates are available from taxis out on the main road in front of the airport, but for safety reasons, it is best not to attempt this at night.
Last Updated: 02 January 2017
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items mentioned in the guide, please email us at email@example.com.