We were not allowed inside the Airport lobby so we had to stay outside. Security is OK but you have to have a tireless fight with mosquitoes. - rowlandmichael
"Me and a group of friends stayed at Julius Nyerere 'International' Airport one night in February this year waiting for a flight in a middle of the night. When we arrived around 10pm we were not allowed inside the terminal building before the check-in would start (2:30am). There were limited number of steel chairs outside and most of them occupied already. It was passible to snooze a little, but no real sleep. Inside its even worse: just two rows of seats for 'physically challenged persons' :) occupied of course. we had to sleep on the floor, but the good thing is no one bothers you. Toilets were totally fine if youre not too picky.
All the shops were closed when we arrived, but luckily tax- free is open also at 3am, so its possible to get some snacks and water.
No mosquitoes at this time of the year."
Have you been to Dar es Salaam Airport recently? Tell us about it!
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
If you are an economy class traveller, you can enter these lounges at Dar-es-Salaam airport either by purchasing a day pass or through a membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details (ie. facilities, hours, pass and membership information):
- Tanzanite Lounge - Location: Terminal 2, Airside. Hours: 12pm - 830pm (Mon, Wed, Fri) • 7am - 10pm (Tues, Thurs, Sat, Sun). Lounge Access: Pay at the Door • Book Online (£20) • Priority Pass.
information not available
If attempting to sleep in the Dar es Salaam Airport does not appeal to you, there are no hotels at the airport to see refuge. The nearest hotels are:
- Tanzanite Executive Suites -15 minutes from the airport / 3 minutes from the ferry. Airport transfers are available ($).
- Hotel Nikko Towers - 20 minutes from the airport / 3 minutes from the ferry
- New Africa Hotel
Hostels & Budget Hotels near the airport: Transit Motel Airport
To find a cheap room, there is a list of hotels near Dar es Salaam Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - 2 ATM cash machines are available landside, none inside*
- Car Rentals - Information not available
- Children's Play Areas - not available*
- Currency Exchange - Yes*
- Food & Drinks - At the time of this update there were no known 24-hour food concessions. Food is available in the Departures Lounge and outside. There is nothing available in the Arrivals area.*
- Information Desk - Information not available
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - not available *
- Showers - not available
The airport is open 24 hours.
If you have questions about this airport that are not answered here or in the airport reviews, post a question on our Facebook Page. If you post a question, remember to mention the airport or nobody will understand what you are asking about.
The SleepingInAirports community depends on travellers, like you, to share their airport experiences through airport reviews and survey responses. If you had a good or bad experience at Dar-es-Salaam Airport, tell us about it!
- Complete the 2015 Airport Survey - Your responses to this short (and easy!) questionnaire will help us determine the Best and Worst Airports of 2015.
- Submit your Airport Review - Register to submit your airport review or simply email your annonymous review to me and I will add it to the database.
Thank you for helping the Community!
Dar es Salaam Travel Resources
- Tripadvisor - search for Dar es Salaam hotel deals, check availability and read traveller reviews.
Last Updated: 20 February 2014
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airport's and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you du ring your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items quoted in the guide, email me.