Freetown Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Freetown Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
There were guards, but they were sleeping too.
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported back to us during their time at Lungi International Airport.
What to Expect
- A single-terminal international airport surrounded by water. With no ferries running after 1:00AM and high prices for hotels in the city, passengers who need to catch an early flight end up having to sleep in the airport. If you choose to spend the night in the airport, you definitely won’t be alone!
- The airport restrooms tend to be dirty or non-functioning, due to low water supply. A reviewer recommends paying to use the VIP lounge for its upgraded amenities and clean restrooms.
- WiFi is available. See WiFi in the airport guide below.
Where to Sleep
- There are plenty of armrest-free benches in the airport, so have a travel blanket and pillow handy!
- For uninterrupted sleep, there are hotels near the airport. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
Good to Know
- If you plan to spend the night here, make sure to show up before the terminal closes for the night. Upon closing, all doors are locked, and passengers will not be let in or out.
For more information about the services and facilities available, scroll down to continue exploring our Freetown Airport Guide. Send us your airport tips to help us keep this information up to date.
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
- Sky Lounge - Location: Airside, 1st Floor. Hours: varies.
Internet is available at the Freetown Airport in the Business Center.
If sleeping in Freetown Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Lungi Airport Hotel - (2 min from the airport) Located across from the airport. Airport shuttle service is available.
To find a cheap room, there is a list of hotels near Freetown Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price.
- Business Center - Yes
- Currency Exchange - In addition to the currency exchange kiosks in Arrivals, there are two full-service banks on airport grounds.
- Duty Free & Shopping - Duty-free shopping is available in Departures.
- Food & Drinks - Yes
- Information Desk - Yes (Arrivals Hall)
- Prayer Room - There is a mosque on the airport grounds. Location: unknown.
As of this update, we were unable to confirm airport hours of operation. We recommend that you read a few reviews before deciding to sleep in the airport overnight. If you know the airport hours, please send an email to email@example.com and we will update this airport guide.
The cheapest, but certainly not the fastest way to town is by ferry and bus. This mode of travel can take 3 hours or more.
Sea Coach Express offers a water taxi service between the airport and town. You’ll see the water taxi station when you exit the airport and walk to the right. This option is faster than the ferry, taking about 30 minutes, but costs around $40 USD for a ticket.
Last Updated: 09 January 2017
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items mentioned in the guide, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.