Kilimanjaro Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Kilimanjaro Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the name of a hotel near the airport in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
We had been warned about staying at the airport, but were pleasantly surprised. It was clean and safe. - a traveller
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported back to us during their time at Kilimanjaro International Airport.
What to Expect
- A small and outdated single-terminal international airport with clean facilities, friendly staff and a limited variety of shopping and dining options in and around the airport terminal.
- Fast and efficient airport procedures, including check-in, airport security, arrivals and baggage claim.
- Free WiFi is is available. See WiFi in the airport guide below.
- Travelers cannot enter the airport without flight ticket or boarding pass.
Where to Sleep
- Part of the terminal is open air and mosquitoes can be a problem. Bring repellent!
- For uninterrupted sleep, there are hotels near the airport. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
Good to Know
- Economy class passengers can pay to enter the airport’s first class lounge. See our Airport Lounges section for locations and rates.
- Reviewers suggest waiting until it’s close to your departure time to go through the security checkpoint to get to the boarding area. Otherwise you will be stuck in a tiny transit area for longer than you want to be while waiting to board your flight.
For more information about the services and facilities available, scroll down to continue exploring our Kilimanjaro Airport Guide. Send us your airport tips to help us keep this information up to date.
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
If you are an economy class traveller, you can enter these lounges at Kilimanjaro airport either by purchasing a lounge pass or through a membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details (ie. facilities, hours, pass and membership information):
- Tanzanite Lounge - Location: Airside. Hours: 6:00AM - 10:30PM (Daily). Lounge Access: Book Online (£20 - minimum 24 hour advance purchase is required)
If sleeping in Kilimanjaro International Airport does not appeal to you, these are some of the closest hotels to the airport:
- Kia Lodge - (5 min from airport) Free airport transfers are available upon request and day rooms are available.
- Moshi Leopard Hotel - (35 min from the airport) Airport shuttle service available ($).
- Twiga Home Hostel - (40 min from the airport) Single or double occupancy beds, with or without A/C. Airport pick-ups can be arranged upon request via email, for $35 USD per car, each way. Advanced payment via Paypal is preferred.
- Mountain Inn - (50 min from the airport) No direct airport shuttle however you can take an airport shuttle to nearby Moshi for $10.00 USD and from there a taxi costs $5.00 USD.
- Sal Salinero Hotel - (40 min from the airport) Airport transfers can be arranged by the hotel ($)
To find a cheap room, there is a list of hotels near Kilimanjaro Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price.
Free unlimited WiFi is available at Kilimanjaro Airport.
- ATMs - Yes, there is a machine available 24 hours a day.
- Currency Exchange – Yes
- Duty Free & Shopping - Duty Free Shops are available, as are a few bookshops, garment shops, curio shops and jewelry shops.
- Food & Drink - At the time of writing, no 24-hour options are available. However, the airport does have a few restaurants inside and outside the passenger terminal.
- Medical Care - First Aid and emergency medical care is provided at the AAR KIA Clinic. Hours: open 24 hours.
- Mobile Charging - Power outlets are available for mobile charging.
- Shopping - Duty Free is available as well as a small variety of shops.
The airport is open 24 hours.
Information currently unavailable. If you are familiar with the modes of ground transportation available at this airport and would like to contribute to this airport guide, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Last Updated: 12 February 2017
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items mentioned in the guide, please email us at email@example.com.