King Shaka Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our King Shaka Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
This airport does not have seating for its passengers. I am disabled and had to resort to sitting on the floor along with my fellow passengers to wait for my flight. - a traveller
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported back to us during their time at King Shaka International Airport.
What to Expect
- A small, but modern and busy international airport with one main passenger terminal, split into two levels.
- A good variety of shops and brand name restaurants are available in the airport, and open until about 11:00PM. Have some food and beverages handy for late-night snacking if you plan to spend the night.
- One mobility-impaired reviewer reported a lack of seating in the airport terminal.
- Free WiFi is available. See WiFi in the airport guide below.
Where to Sleep
- As of February 2017, we have no reviews from travellers who have attempted to sleep in this airport. Write a review to help future travellers!
- For uninterrupted sleep, there are hotels near the airport. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
Good to Know
- Economy class passengers can pay to enter one of the airport’s first class lounges. See Airport Lounges in the airport guide below for locations and rates.
For more information about the services and facilities available, scroll down to continue exploring our Durban King Shaka Airport Guide. Send us your airport tips to help us keep this information up to date.
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
If you are an economy class traveller, you can enter these lounges at King Shaka airport either by purchasing a lounge pass or through a membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details (ie. facilities, hours, pass and membership information):
- Bidvest Premium Lounge - Location: Domestic Terminal, Airside, 3rd Floor. Showers are available. Lounge Access: Book Online (£20.00 - minimum 24 hour advance purchase is required)
- Umphafa Lounge - Location: International Terminal 1, Airside, 3rd Floor. Showers are available. Lounge Access: Book Online (£24.00)
Free WiFi is available at King Shaka Airport for up to 4 hours or 1GB, whichever comes first. Connect to the “Airports@Vast” network. Registration requires an email address and contact number.
The Tourist Information desk also offers internet services.
If sleeping in King Shaka Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Shapes of Africa Rustic Stayover - (5 min from the airport) Stay in your own private rondavel (traditional Zulu hut). Airport transfers are available upon request for R100 each way. Note - check-in closes at 8:00PM.
- De Charmoy Estate Guest House - (8 minutes from the airport) Airport transfers are available upon request for R200.00 each way.
To see more options there is a list of hotels near King Shaka Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - Yes, there are at least 4 banks providing ATM’s. Location: in the public area concourse.
- Baby Care Facilities - Changing tables are located inside the ladies washrooms throughout the airport.
- Car Rentals - Avis • Bidvest • Dollar • First Car Rental • Hertz • Thrifty • Woodford and more.
- Chapel / Prayer Room - A prayer room is available for Muslim travellers. Ask a staff member for directions.
- Currency Exchange - A bureau de change is located in the International Arrivals & Departures Terminal. Hours: when international flights arrive and depart. ABSA Bank. Location: in the public concourse. Hours: 30 minutes before the first flight and 30 minutes after the last flight.
- Duty Free & Shopping - The airport offers a variety of shops selling items including books, cellular services, clothing and souvenirs. Duty Free is available at The Big Five Duty Free store.
- Food & Drinks - Food options are available both Landside and Airside. There is also a Woolworths Department Store which may have food and drinks available. At the time of this update it was not known if there are any 24 hour food or beverage concessions.
- Information Desk - A tourism information kiosk is located in the arrivals area. In addition to providing local area information they also offer internet and fax services. Hours: Monday - Saturday 8:00AM - 9:00PM and Sundays 9:00AM - 9:00PM.
- Observation Deck - Location: Domestic Terminal, first floor
- Pharmacy - Link Pharmacy is located at the airport. Unfortunately, I do not have the location or hours.
- Post Office - Location: Public Concourse. Hours: opens 30 minutes before the first flight and 30 minutes after the last flight.
- Showers - Available in the Bidvest Lounge and the Umphafa Lounge. [ see Airport Lounges above ]
- Smoking - There is a smoking lounge available inside the Bidvest Lounge. [ see Airport Lounges above ]
- Spa Services - If you have time for a manicure head to Yemaya Nail Express.
As of this update, we were unable to confirm airport hours of operation. We recommend that you read a few reviews before deciding to sleep in the airport overnight. If you know the airport hours, please send an email to email@example.com and we will update this airport guide.
Information not available
Last Updated: 20 February 2017
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items mentioned in the guide, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.