Haikou Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Haikou Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the name of a hotel near the airport in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, here is a quick run-down of what to expect during your time at Haikou Airport.
What to Expect
- There are two, connected terminals: one for domestic flights, and an international terminal that opened in 2013.
- The airport shuttle to the city center operates until approx. midnight.
- Beware of taxi scams and price gauging, particularly after the airport shuttle stops operating.
Where to Sleep
- Outside of the baggage claim there are two seating areas with plenty of seats, athough they are hard. Avoid sleeping near the coffee machine, as the audio instruction is loud. (Sep 2016)
- For uninterrupted sleep, there are hotels within walking distance of the airport, though only one provides airport shuttle service. See our Airport Hotel section below for more info.
Good to Know
- Economy class travellers can pay to access one airport lounge. See our Airport Lounges section for locations and rates.
For more information about the services and facilities available, scroll down to continue exploring our Haikou Airport Guide. Send us your airport tips to help us keep this information up to date.
If you are an economy class traveller, you can enter these lounges at Haikou airport either by purchasing a lounge pass or through a membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details (ie. facilities, hours, pass and membership information):
- First Class Lounge - Location: International Terminal, Airside. Hours: opens 5 minutes prior to check-in of first International flight - last international flights. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (CNY150)
Free WiFi is available in Haikou Meilan Airport. Connect to the “Airport WiFi Free-Meilan” or “@AIRPORT-FREE-WiFi” network. Mobile number or WeChat account required for log-in. In addition to free WiFi, the airport offers all-in-one PC’s and ipads for use, free of charge, at internet stations located throughout the airport. You can find them at the International terminal boarding gates or at these Domestic boarding gates: 2 • 4 • 9 • 12 • 14 • 30-34 • 50-53.
If sleeping in Haikou Meilan Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Haikou Meiya Hotel - (3 min from the airport) No airport shuttle, but the hotel can be reached on foot within 15 minutes if traveling light.
- Haikou Meile Hotel Meilan Airport - (3 min from the airport) No airport shuttle, but the hotel can be reached on foot within 15 minutes if traveling light.
- Eadry Royal Garden Hotel - (5 min from the airport) Free airport shuttle
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Haikou Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - ATMs are available in International Departures (landside, opposite the Information Counter) and Domestic Departures (opposite of entrance/exit Door 2 and airside in the west wing).
- Baby Care Facilities - Feed and care for your baby in comfort and privacy in the Mother and Child Room. Changing table, wash basin, comfortable couch and more are available. Two locations: Domestic terminal, airside, opposite boarding gate 20 • International terminal, landside, right side of the Departures Hall.
- Currency Exchange - Tonghui Currency Co. offers currency exchange in these locations: International Departures (opposite First Class lounge) and International Arrivals (left of exit). Hours: Open from 1st international flight of the day until the last.
- Duty Free & Shopping - DFS Hainan Market offers duty-free shopping in the International terminal from 9:00AM - 10:00PM. A wide variety of goods, produce, souvenirs, local crafts, and more are available for purchase from a selection of shops and mini markets in the Domestic terminal.
- Food & Drink - Food concessions throughout the airport operate on varying schedules, with many open according to daily flight schedules. At the time of this update, there are no 24-hour dining options. Some of the food options are: Baskin-Robbins • Burger King • Cafe Ritazza • Esenco Illy • McDonald’s • Mengzi Noodle Shop • Spices • Starbucks • Toasty Toasty
- Luggage Wrapping - Fee: unknown. Location: Domestic Terminal, landside, west of entrance/exit Door 2 (Hours: according to flight schedules) and east of entrance/exit Door 4 (Hours: 5:00AM - 8:30PM) • International Terminal, landside, near Check-In Desk 109 (Hours: according to flight schedules).
As of this update, we were unable to confirm airport hours of operation. We recommend that you read a few reviews before deciding to sleep in the airport overnight. If you know the airport hours, please send an email to email@example.com and we will update this airport guide.
Designated “airport buses” offer express service between the airport and city center at an affordable price. Line 1 offers service every 30 minutes to and from the Civil Aviation Hotel, outside Mingzhu Plaza in downtown Haikou, for RMB 20 per person. Line 2 offers hourly service to and from West Bus Station (near 0898 Hotel) in downtown Haikou at a price of RMB 20 per person. The bus stop is at Gate 4 on the 1st floor of the Domestic Arrivals hall. For route information, visit the Haikou Meilan International Airport website.
Public bus line 41 links the airport with Haikou Port. Buses run every 15 minutes from 6:10AM - 9:00PM. Fare is up to RMB 6 for a single ride ticket, depending on your destination. The bus stop is at Entrance A of Meilan Station. For route information, visit the Haikou Meilan International Airport website.
Metered taxis are readily available for hire in the ground transportation area of the airport, accessible from Gate 3 on the 1st floor of the Arrivals hall. For safety reasons, only hire licensed taxis and always insist on using the meter.
Donghuan high-speed rail system connects the airport (via Meilan Station) to the city center. To access Meilan Station from the terminal, walk from Gate 2 on the 2nd floor of the Departures hall, or Gate 2 on the 1st floor of the Arrivals hall. For further information, visit the Haikou Meilan International Airport website.
Last Updated: 15 January 2017
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items mentioned in the guide, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.