Shanghai Hongqiao Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Shanghai Hongqiao Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
At Hongqiao itself there doesn't appear to be a place to sleep, and it's awfully crowed anyway. - Rod
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported back to us during their time at Shanghai Hongqiao International Airport.
What to Expect
- A large and modern international airport with two separate terminals: Terminal 1 is used solely for international flights, and the much larger Terminal 2 is used for domestic flights. A wide variety of shops, restaurants and services are available, including some “children’s gardens”!
- WiFi is available. See WiFi in the airport guide below.
Where to Sleep
- As of February 2017, we have no reviews from travellers who have attempted to sleep in this airport. Write a review to help future travellers!
- For uninterrupted sleep, there are hotels near the airport. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
Good to Know
- Economy class passengers can pay to enter one of the airport’s first class lounges. See Airport Lounges in the airport guide below for locations and rates.
- One reviewer noted that the taxi queue seemed ridiculously long, with a wait time of 2 hours for a taxi! If you are traveling light, consider taking the metro!
For more information about the services and facilities available, scroll down to continue exploring our Shanghai Hongqiao Airport Guide. Send us your airport tips to help us keep this information up to date.
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
- VIP Lounge - Location: Domestic Terminal 1, Landside, near Gate 6. Hours: 5:30AM - 9:30PM (Daily).
- First Class Lounge (V1) - Location: Domestic Terminal 2, Airside, near Gates 25 and 26. Hours: 6:00AM - 10:30PM (Daily).
- Business Class Lounge (B11) - Location: International Terminal 1, Airside, near Gate B11. Hours: 6:40AM - 6:30PM (Daily).
- First Class Lounge - Location: International Terminal 1, Airside, near Gate B12. Hours: 6:40AM - 6:30PM (Daily).
WiFi is available at Shanghai Hongqiao Airport in all public departure and arrivals area. It is not known if the service is free. See also the Gardens section below.
If sleeping in Hongqiao Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Shanghai International Airport Hotel - (5 min walk from the airport) Adjacent to Terminal 1. Free airport transfers available. Day rooms available from 6:00AM to 4:00PM for 150 RMB/2-hour block (50 RMB per additional hour over 2 hours) and include airport shuttle service.
- Argyle International Airport Hotel - (5 min walk from the airport terminal) Located adjacent to Terminal 1, to the right of the Departures Level exit ramp. Airport pick-up service available. Free hourly shuttle to Terminal 2.
- Boyue Shanghai Hongqiao Airport Hotel - Located in Terminal 2, a corridor connects the hotel to the airport check-in area. Shuttle service to Terminal 1 available.
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Shanghai Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
- Baggage Trolleys - Yes, available in both Terminals free of charge.
- Business Center - Yes, providing, fax, printing and internet service. Locations Terminal 1, opposite Gate 5, Departure Floor, Building B (Hours: 7:00AM - 8:30PM) • Terminal 2, South of the Business Area on Floor M2 (Hours: Not known).
- Currency Exchange
- Terminal 1 - Locations: Baggage Claim Area • Guest-Meeting Area of Building B • International Departure Hall (Hours: 7:00M - the last flight)
- Terminal 2 - You can find currency exchange machines (15 currencies to RMB) in the following locations • Two exchange machines are located on the southern and northern sides of the Check-In Area on the Departure Floor (3F).
- Gardens - Gardens include rest areas as well as play areas for children and free internet service. Location: Next to Gate 25 and Gate 71 on M2 Departure Floor in T2.
- Information Desk - Terminal 1, Building B, center of the Check-in Hall • Terminal 2, Check-In Hall, 3F and Arrivals Hall, 1F. Airport Ambassadors can also be found throughout the terminals.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - Yes. Arrival Hall (Hours vary depending on flight times) Eastern • Transportation Center Island E (Hours: 7:00AM - 8:30PM). Rates for both locations are not known.
- Medical Services - Provided at 3 different first-aid stations found in lounge areas on Floor 3, Transit Level M2 and the Arrival Level of Floor 1. The hours vary however the Arrivals Area has the longest hours at 6:30 AM - 10:00PM.
- Mobile Charging - Yes, in M2 Departure Floor in Terminal 2, free service.
- Smoking Rooms - There are many designated smoking rooms in both Terminals.
A reader tells us that the Domestic Terminal is open from approx. 4:00AM - 10:00PM. We do not have details about the International Terminal.
Information not available.
Last Updated: 21 January 2016
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items mentioned in the guide, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.