Galapagos Islands (Baltra) Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Baltra Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
Claiming luggage on arrival was a free for all. They lay the luggage out under a pavillion and then open the gates and the crowd rushes in to get their luggage! It was crazy! - snkrsalab
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported back to us during their time at Baltra Airport.
What to Expect
- A tiny eco-friendly airport with very limited facilities, located on a small, uninhabited island.
Where to Sleep
- Overnight sleeping is prohibited at this airport, and the nearest accommodations are about 1 - 1.5 hours from the airport. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
Good to Know
- Economy class passengers can pay to use one of the first class lounges. See Airport Lounges in the airport guide below for locations and rates.
For more information about the services and facilities available, scroll down to continue exploring our Baltra Galapagos Airport Guide. Send us your airport tips to help us keep this information up to date.
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
- Aeropuertos VIP Lounge - Some of the deluxe category boats and Santa Cruz hotels use this for its guests. Location: Airside. Hours: 7:00AM - 3:00PM (Daily). Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (US$ 30 - Arriving passengers or US$ 18 - Departing Passengers)
WiFi is available in the VIP Lounge.
There are no hotels at Baltra airport and is highly unlikely that the military will allow you to sleep here. You will have to take the ferry back to Santa Cruz Island and then board the bus back to Puerto Ayora. Here are a few of the more economical hotel options based on Tripadvisor reviews:
- Hotel Ninfa - (1 hr from the airport) Airport shuttle service is available upon request. Approx. cost is $40.00 each way for up to 4 people.
- Casa Natura - (1 hr from the airport) No airport shuttle.
- Hotel Pelican Bay - (1 hr from the airport) No airport shuttle.
- Galapagos Best Homestay - (1 hr from the airport) No airport shuttle.
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Baltra Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
- Car Rentals - not available
- Duty Free & Shopping - Duty Free is not available. You will find a selection of souvenir shops to buy your `I love boobies´ t-shirt.
- Food & Drinks - There is a cafe located landside.
- Information Desk - not available
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - not available
- Showers - not available
The airport is open from 8:00AM until the last scheduled flight of the day. Overnight stays are not permitted at this airport.
Buses links the airport to the lower part of Baltra Island, where a barge can be taken to or from Santa Cruz Island in a 10 minute trip for $1 USD. The dock in Santa Cruz is linked to the capital city, Puerto Ayora, by an $18.00 USD taxi ride or a $2.50 bus ride. Total trip time between the dock and Puerto Ayora is 45 minutes to 1 hour.
Last Updated: 11 December 2016
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items mentioned in the guide, please email us at email@example.com.