George Best Belfast City Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our George Best Belfast City Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the name of a hotel near the airport in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
George Best Airport closes at night; that is the beginning and end of the story. Do not attempt to sleep there. - tashore14
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported back to us during their time at George Best Belfast City Airport.
What to Expect
- This is a small airport with a single terminal.
- Free WiFi is available. See WiFi information in the airport guide below.
Where to Sleep
- This airport is closed at night, so sleeping here is not permitted.
- If you’re looking for a good place to nap during day, there are a few long benches airside.
- Since the airport is busy during the day, don’t forget a pair of earplugs or noise cancelling headphones to drown out the noise.
- For uninterrupted sleep, there are hotels near the airport. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
Good to Know
- Economy class passengers can pay to use one of the first class lounges. See Airport Lounges in the airport guide below for locations and rates.
For more information about the services and facilities available, scroll down to continue exploring our Belfast City Airport Guide. Send us your airport tips to help us keep this information up to date.
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
If you are an economy class traveller, you can enter these lounges at George Best Belfast City Airport either by purchasing a lounge pass or through a membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details (i.e. facilities, hours, pass and membership information):
- Aspire Lounge - Location: Airside, at the end of the corridor past Gate A. Hours: 5:00AM - 9:00PM (Sun - Fri) • 5:00AM - 7:00PM (Sat). Lounge Access: Pay at the Door • Book Online (£19.99 - minimum 24 hour advance purchase is required)
- British Airways Lounge - Location: First floor departures, adjacent to door A. Access: Purchase a day pass
Unlimited free WiFi is provided by Belfast City Airport for up to 4 hours. After the 4 hours is up, you can start a new session by logging in again.
If sleeping in Belfast City Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Park Avenue Hotel - This is the closest hotel to the airport. No airport shuttle.
- Premier Inn Belfast Titanic Quarter Hotel - (1 mile from airport) No airport shuttle.
- Ramada Encore City Centre - (2 miles from the airport) No airport shuttle
- Ibis Belfast City Centre Hotel - (10 min from the airport) No airport shuttle
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Belfast City Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
- ATMs - Three cash machines are available. Two are located in the main concourse beside Costa Coffee (dispenses Bank of England Sterling Notes). One is located in the departures lounge (dispenses Sterling, Euros and Dollars).
- Car Rentals - Yes, see our Airport Transportation section below.
- Conference Facilities – One suite available landside.
- Currency Exchange – Travelex located in the main concourse beside PRM desks.
- Disabled Services – Seating and special assistance available.
- Duty Free & Shopping - World Duty Free offers duty-free shopping. In addition, the airport also has a Boots Pharmacy, WHSmith newsstand, and a House of Ireland gift shop.
- Family Services – Baby changing facilities available throughout the terminals.
- Food & Drink - Food concessions throughout the airport operate with varying schedules. Dining options include: Bushmills • Costa • Harvest Market • O’Brien’s • Starbucks
- Information Desk – Location: Right hand side of the terminal building, just past the arrivals exit doors
- Pharmacy – Boots Pharmacy located airside.
- Smoking Area – Permitted only outside the airport
The airport is open 4:30AM - 10:00PM. Sleeping in the airport overnight is not possible.
The Airport Express 600 is a daily express service between the airport and Belfast Europa Bus Centre (next to Europa Hotel) in downtown Belfast. Buses depart every 30 minutes from 5:45AM - 9:25PM (every 40 minutes on Sundays).
Metro Bus 3 offers regular daily service between City Hall and Sydenham Halt, served by trains traveling to and from Belfast Central or Victoria train stations. The bus stop, located near Sydenham Halt, is a 10 minute walk from the airport, via footbridge.
Visitors to Belfast can purchase the Belfast Visitor Pass, good for unlimited bus and rail travel within the Translink Metro network for up to 3 days, along with some great discounts on visitors attractions, local businesses and eateries. Prices start at £6.50 per adult. For route maps, schedules and fare information for the Airport Express 600, Metro Bus 3 or any other Translink services, visit the Translink Metro website.
Transporter buses travel between Belfast City Airport and Belfast International Airport, or from the airports to Derry and Londonderry. Multiple scheduled departures are available daily. A one-way adult fare is £10.00 to travel between the airports, or £20.00 to travel from the airport to Derry/Londonderry. For route maps, schedules and additional fare information and ticket purchase, visit the Airporter website, or go to the Tourist Information Desk in the main concourse of the airport.
Airport Express 600 and Transporter buses stop at a bus stand located directly outside of the airport terminal.
Car rental services are available onsite from the following car rental agencies: Avis, Budget, Enterprise, Europcar and Hertz.
Taxis are available at the taxi rank in front of the airport, during airport hours of operation. All taxis are metered, and reservations are not required. At the time of this update, the estimated one-way fare between the airport and central Belfast is £10.00.
Sydenham Halt is located within walking distance of Belfast City Airport, connected by a footbridge located in front of the airport terminal. From Sydenham Halt, Line 1 trains travel daily to and from Belfast Central or Victoria rail stations every 20 minutes from 6:00AM - 11:00PM, and from 9:00AM - 10:00PM on Sundays. From Belfast Central station, connections are available to trains from Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland. Although Sydenham Halt is within walking distance of the airport, a shuttle service is also available, ideal for those who are mobility-impaired, traveling with children or a lot of luggage.
Visitors to Belfast can purchase the Belfast Visitor Pass, good for unlimited bus and rail travel within the Translink Metro network for up to 3 days, along with some great discounts on visitors attractions, local businesses and eateries. Prices start at £6.50 per adult. For route maps, schedules and fare information for NI Railways services, visit the Translink NI Railways website.
Last Updated: 27 December 2016
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items mentioned in the guide, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.