Bucharest Henri Coandă Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Bucharest Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
I was nervous about sleeping here as I spoke no Romanian and had never spent the night at an airport. But, when I arrived there were probably 20 others doing the same, so that made me feel better. - robbo79
photo credit: Joe Mabel / Wikimedia
To help you plan your layover, here is a quick run-down of what travellers have reported to us during their time at Bucharest Henri Coandă Airport.
What to Expect
- OTP is one of two airports serving Romania’s capital city, and home to most international flights serving the country.
- This is an old, renovated airport with a single terminal. It’s divided between Schengen and non-Schengen zone flights.
- Airport staff and security are generally tolerant of overnight travellers though some travellers report that they wouldn’t allow them in some areas.
- There are plenty of 24-hour eateries and cafes. The tap water is undrinkable (don’t even try it!), so have bottled water on hand for drinking. See Food & Drinks in the airport guide below.
- Power outlets are few and far between, but there is a mobile charging station near Gate 2.
- Free WiFi is available, but it is reportedly very slow. See WiFi in the airport guide below.
Where to Sleep
- Armrest-free seats are rare in this airport, and the only couches to be found are in the smoking lounges. Unless you don’t mind the smoke, be prepared to sleep on the floor by having a travel mat or sleeping bag handy.
- Now that the children’s play area has been replaced with a casino, the best place for sleeping in the airport is the hallway between the Arrivals and Departures areas.
- Airside seems more comfortable, with a decent amount of benches.
- For uninterrupted sleep, there are a few hotels near the airport. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
For more information about the services and facilities available, scroll down to continue exploring our Bucharest Henri Coandă Airport Guide. Send us your airport tips to help us keep this information up to date.
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
- Tarom Business Lounge - Location: International Departure Terminal, Airside, 2nd floor, above Gate 7. Hours: open 24 hours. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (€44,40)
- Mastercard Business Lounge - Location: International Departure Terminal, Airside, 2nd floor, above Gate 8. Hours: open 24 hours. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (€44,40)
- Satellite Business Lounge - Location: International Departure Terminal, Airside, 2nd floor, above Gate 14. Hours: open 24 hours. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (€44,40)
Free WiFi is available at Bucharest Henri Coandă Airport.
If sleeping in Bucharest Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Angelo Airporthotel Bucharest - (5 minutes from the airport) Free roundtrip airport transfers are available upon request.
- Motel Casa Romaneasca - (5 minutes from the airport) Free roundtrip airport transfers are available upon request.
- RIN Airport Hotel - (5 minutes from the airport) Free roundtrip airport transfers are available upon request.
- Hotel Otopeni - (5 minutes from the airport) Free roundtrip airport transfers are available upon request.
- Hotel Denisa - (10 minutes from the airport) Free airport shuttle departs every half hour
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Bucharest Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
- Airport Tours - The airport conducts four different tours of the airport. You can choose from Passenger Terminals (90 minutes), Airside (2 hours), Passenger Terminals + airside (3-4 hours) and Airport Operations (3 hours). Departures: 10:00AM on the second last Friday of the month and the last Saturday of the month.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - Locations: Departures, landside, Ground Floor • Arrivals, landside, 1st Floor • Baggage Reclaim • corridor between Departures and Arrivals terminals.
- Baby Care Facilities - A Mother and Baby room is available for care and feeding of infants. Ask at the Information Desk for assistance. Hours: Open 24 hours Airport restrooms are also equipped for travelers with infants.
- Baggage Trolleys - Available free of charge.
- Banking - Romanian Bank for Development and Transilvania Bank offer full-service banking in the airport. Location: corridor between Departures and Arrivals terminals • Arrivals, landside, Ground Floor Hours: 9:00AM - 5:00PM Mon-Fri.
- Car Rentals - Yes, see our Airport Transportation section below.
- Chapel - Christian-Orthodox Chapel - Location: Departures Terminal, Landside, First Floor.
- Currency Exchange - Foreign currency exchange offices throughout the airport operate on varying schedules. These locations are open 24 hours: Adriatica & Company (Departures (landside), Departures (airside, 1st floor and 2nd floor gates), Arrivals (airside near gates) • QUICK Exchange (corridor between Departures and Arrivals terminals).
- Duty Free & Shopping - You will find several shops that are open 24 hours a day including all 5 locations of BestValue (both Landside and Airside).
- Food & Drinks - Food concessions throughout the airport operate with varying schedules. These options are open 24 hours:
- Departures, landside, Ground Floor: Brioche Dorée • Gloria Jean’s Coffees • Lavazza Espression • Route 96
- Departures, airside: Brioche Doree (Gates 4 - 6) • Burger King (Gates 24 - 29) • city cafe (Gates 24 - 29) • Haagen-Dazs (Gates 2 - 3) • illy Espressamente (Domestic Departures and Gates 12 - 16) • La Sarmale (Gates 24 - 29) • Momenti Peroni (Gates 7 - 11) • refuel (Gates 2 - 3) • Trattoria Buongiorno (Gates 24 - 29)
- International Arrivals, landside, 1st Floor: Segafredo Zanetti
- If you need to pick-up some groceries before heading to your home in Bucharest, Billa Supermarket is located on the Ground Floor of the Arrivals Terminal. Hours: 6:00AM - 11:00PM Mon-Sat (open until 11:45PM on Sundays).
- Hair Salon - A hair salon/barber shop is available. Location: Landside, underground Hours: 9:30AM - 5:30PM Mon-Fri, 9:00AM - 2:00PM Sat, Closed Sundays
- Information Desks - Locations: Departures, Landside • Arrivals, Landside.
- Luggage Storage - not available
- Luggage Wrapping - Available for 25 lei per bag Location: Departures, landside, Check-In.
- Mailbox - Location: in front of the Departure and Arrivals Terminals.
- Pharmacy - 2mPharma - Location: passageway between Arrivals and Departures. Hours: open 24 hours.
- Post Office - In addition to postal service, Western Union money transfers, GSM phone cards and public phone cards are available. Location: corridor between Departures and Arrivals terminals Hours: 8:00AM - 4:00PM (Mon-Fri).
- Showers - not available
- Smoking Areas - There are designated smoking areas located airside.
The airport is open 24 hours.
The airport is served by two bus lines, with bus stops available in front of the Departures and Arrivals terminals. The 780 Express line runs between the airport and Gara de Nord (main railway station), and the 783 Express line links the airport to Bucharest city center with a 24-hour service that departs every 20 - 40 minutes. Bus fare is 3,5 lei (one-way) or 7 lei (roundtrip). A service desk in Arrivals Hall sells magnetic rechargeable bus fare cards. For route maps, schedules and additional fare information, visit the RATB website.
Car rental desks are located in the walkway between Departures and Arrivals Halls. Onsite car rental agencies include Autonom, Avis, Boca Autotrade, Budget, Europcar, Hertz, Sixt and Touring Rent-A-Car.
Taxis are available on-demand at the airport, but must be hired by using one of the touchscreen devices located in the public area of the Arrivals terminal. The upon completion of your order, the touchscreen device will signal a taxi to the pickup area for you, and print a receipt that you must present to the taxi driver. This system prevents taxi rip-offs from occurring. For your safety, only use the services of an airport taxi and do not accept unsolicited offers of a ride from someone posed as a driver.
There is a railway station just 900m from the airport terminals, connected by shuttle buses that run to both Arrivals and Departures terminals. Trains from the airport train station go directly to Gara de Nord railway station, where connections can be made to regional, national and long-distance trains. Tickets for the airport trains are sold at train stations, and also at a ticket office located in the International Arrivals public area. Cost of an adult one-way ticket is 6,8 lei, which includes the shuttle bus transfer between the airport terminals and railway station. For Airport- Gara de Nord train schedules, visit the Bucharest Airport website. For routes, schedules and fares for Romanian trains, visit the CFR Calatori website.
Last Updated: 15 March 2017
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items mentioned in the guide, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.