Cardiff Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Cardiff Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
I bumped into some homeless people who took me under their wing.
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported back to us during their time at Cardiff Airport.
What to Expect
- A small, but clean and modern airport with a limited variety of shops and restaurants.
- Free WiFi is available. See WiFi in the airport guide below.
Where to Sleep
- The seats in this airport are hard and uncomfortable, but the airport is very quiet until early morning. There is a small spot on the 1st floor with metal chairs that you can sleep in, or for more comfort, have a travel mat and blanket handy to sleep on the floor.
- For uninterrupted sleep, there are hotels near the airport. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
Good to Know
- Economy class passengers can pay to enter one of the airport’s first class lounges. See Airport Lounges in the airport guide below for locations and rates.
For more information about the services and facilities available, scroll down to continue exploring our Cardiff Airport Guide. Send us your airport tips to help us keep this information up to date.
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
If you are an economy class traveller, you can enter these lounges at Cardiff airport either by purchasing a lounge pass or through a membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details (ie. facilities, hours, pass and membership information):
- Executive Lounge - Location: Airside. Hours: 5:00AM - 9:00PM (Daily). Lounge Access: Pay at the Door • Book Online (£23.00 - minimum 24 hour advance purchase is required)
Free WiFi is available at Cardiff Airport for 30 minutes. When the time limit expires you can extend your time for £3 per hour. Connect to the "Spectrum Interactive" Network. Additionally, there are 3 Internet Kiosks located throughout the airport (airside and landside). Rate: 10p per minute.
If sleeping in Cardiff Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Holiday Inn Express Cardiff Airport - Located next to the terminal. Free airport shuttle is available from 12:00PM - 12:00AM, call for pick-up using the courtesy phone in the Arrivals area.
- Travelodge Cardiff Airport Hotel - (4 minutes from the airport) No airport shuttle
- New Farm Bed & Breakfast - (7 minutes from the airport) Budget lodging in a 17th century farmhouse cottage on a family-run working farm. No airport shuttle. Owners suggest a taxi for approx. £8 each way.
- Aberthaw House Hotel - (10 minutes from the airport) No airport shuttle.
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Cardiff Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - Locations: Departures Lounge, Airside (dispenses Pounds Sterling and Euros) • Arrivals Hall, Landside (Pounds Sterling only).
- Baby Care Facilities - Change your baby in privacy and comfort in one of the Baby Care rooms, located on the 1st floor Departure Lounge, and in the Arrivals Hall. Baby food and food warming facilities are available landside at Caffi Cwtch.
- Baggage Trolleys - Available for a refundable fee of £1 or €1.
- Car Rentals - Yes, see our Airport Transportation section below.
- Children's Play Area - Location: Departure Lounge, Airside.
- Currency Exchange - Forexchange operates two foreign exchange counters. Locations: Airside, Departure Lounge (Hours: open for International flights) • Baggage Claim, International Arrivals (Hours: open for International flights).
- Duty Free & Shopping - Nuance Tax and Duty Free offers duty-free shopping at the airport. WHSmith newsstands are available landside, on the ground floor, and airside in the Departures lounge.
- Food & Drinks - There are three dining options at the airport: Caffè Ritazza, Caffi Cwtch (landside), and The Beer House. All three are open according to daily flight schedule.
- Games Zone - Video Arcade Machines can be found in two areas of the airport: the first floor of the terminal building and in the departure lounge.
- Information Desk - There is an Airport Team on staff to assist customers. If you do not see any you can also call them from a Customer Call point located throughout the terminal.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - not available
- Mailbox - A post office box is located outside the terminal. Stamps can be purchased at the WH Smith store near the check-in counters..
- Mobile Charging - Free mobile charging is offered near the Internet kiosks.
- Multifaith Room - Location: Check-in Hall, opposite the Special Assistance Desk. Ablution facilities are available on the 1st floor (landside) above the Check-In hall.
- Science Exhibit - Techniquest has launched a new science exhibit at Cardiff Airport, seven interactive exhibits have been installed for passengers to sample. Location: Airside.
- Showers - not available
- Smoking - Inside the airport, there is a designated smoking area located next to Gate 2.
As of this update, we were unable to confirm airport hours of operation. We recommend that you read a few reviews before deciding to sleep in the airport overnight. If you know the airport hours, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will update this airport guide.
The T9 (Cardiff Airport Express Bus) offers convenient and economical bus service between Cardiff Airport and the city center. Frequent departures are available, and buses drop off and pick up passengers in front of the passenger terminal. Fares start from £5 per person, also payable in Euro. For schedules, fares and ticket sales, visit the Vale of Glamorgan website.
Cardiff Airport Rail Link Bus Service 905 connects the airport passenger terminal with the airport railway station. Buses stop in front of the terminal and take about 10 minutes to reach the railway station. A single ride costs £1 per person. For timetable, visit the Vale of Glamorgan website.
Onsite car rental agencies include Enterprise, Europcar and Hertz. Hours of operation vary between the agencies, but all are open 7 days a week.
FlightLink Wales offers door-to-door private and shared-ride airport shuttle service between Cardiff Airport and destinations within South Wales. Service is also available to some of the UK’s major airports, including Heathrow, Gatwick, Birmingham and Manchester. Service must be pre-booked. For fares and reservations, visit the FlightLink Wales website.
Rhoose Cardiff International Airport railway station, on the Vale of Glamorgan railway line, is linked to the airport terminal by Cardiff Airport Rail Link Bus Service 905. Hourly train services connect the airport railway station to Cardiff Central Station and Bridgend, where connections are available to South Wales Main Line. On Sunday, trains run every 2 hours to and from the airport. For routes, schedules and fare information, visit the Traveline Cymru website.
Last Updated: 02 January 2017
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items mentioned in the guide, please email us at email@example.com.