Catania Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Catania Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
The fact there's nowhere to sit other than the floor doesn't really bother you until you're trampled by screaming children and clobbered by old ladies swinging bags of cheese. -Jordan
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported back to us during their time at Catania–Fontanarossa Airport.
What to Expect
- A small single-terminal international airport, served mostly by seasonal commercial and charter flights
- Restaurants close in the evening and there are no beverage vending machines so have food and beverages handy for later.
- Due to recent terrorist attacks in Europe, security is extremely tight at this airport. Get to the airport early enough to allow yourself time to get through the heightened security measures.
- Power outlets for mobile charging are hard to find, so power up your electronics before you go to the airport and carry a power bank with you in case you are unable to locate an outlet.
Where to Sleep
- Proof of onward travel, such as a boarding pass or flight ticket, is required in order to stay in the airport overnight.
- The airport’s seating is uncomfortable hard plastic bucket seats, but you can sleep comfortably on the floor if you have a travel mat or sleeping bag handy.
- Try the Arrivals Lounge area near the chapel for a peaceful, quiet area to sleep.
- Air-conditioning can make the terminal a bit cold inside. Have a travel blanket, sleeping bag or warm clothing handy to stay toasty warm!
- Have earplugs or noise-cancelling headphones handy to block out noises from the overnight cleaning crew.
- Be prepared to be woken up promptly at 4:30AM by airport security. Sleeping on the floor is not permitted during airport hours of operation.
- For uninterrupted sleep, there are hotels near the airport. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
Good to Know
- If you are planning to spend the night in this airport but not arriving into the airport on a flight, come to the airport before closing, or you will be locked outside.
- Economy class passengers can pay to enter the airport’s first class lounge. See Airport Lounges in the airport guide below for locations and rates.
For more information about the services and facilities available, scroll down to continue exploring our Catania Airport Guide. Send us your airport tips to help us keep this information up to date.
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
- VIP Lounge SAC - Location: Airside, 3rd Floor, near Gates 4 and 5. Hours: 6:30AM - 9:00PM (Daily).
WiFi is available at Catania Airport inside the lounge. [ see Airport Lounges above ] At the time of this update, we did not have any information about WiFi availability elsewhere in the terminal.
If sleeping in Catania Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Catania International Airport Hotel - (5 min from the airport) Free airport pick-up. Airport drop-off available for a fee.
- NH Parco degli Aragonesi - (10 min from the airport) No airport shuttle.
- Romano Palace Luxury Hotel - (5 min from the airport) Airport transfers available.
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Catania Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - Montepaschi di Siena Bank and ATM are available.. Location: Arrivals, landside Hours: 8:20AM - 1:30PM / 2:45PM - 3:45PM (Mon-Fri).
- Baby Care Facilities - A nursery is available in the ladies’ restroom in Departures and Arrivals.
- Car Rentals - Yes, see our Airport Transportation section below.
- Currency Exchange - Travelex offer currency exchange landside in the Arrivals area.
- Duty Free & Shopping - Aldeasa offers duty-free shopping airside. A small variety of gift and specialty boutiques are available throughout the airport.
- Food & Drinks - At the time of this update, there are no 24-hour dining options. The coffee bar on the 1st floor in Departures is open at 5:30AM, and the one in Arrivals is open until Midnight. A full-service restaurant and a self-service restaurant are available on the 1st floor in Departures.
- Information Desk - There is no information desk however the tourist desk may be able to assist and is open 8:00AM - 10:00PM.
- Luggage Storage / Lockers - Not Available
- Post Office - Purchase stamps and send mail or packages. Location: Landside. Hours: 8:15AM – 1:30PM
- Showers - Not Available
The airport is open 24 hours.
Bus is the cheapest way to travel between the airport to your destination, although not the most convenient if you have a lot of luggage. AMT ‘Alibus’ 457 departs every 25 minutes from 5:00AM - 12:00AM, traveling between the airport and Catania Railway Station. Alibus makes 15 stops along the way, two of which are The Excelsior Grand Hotel and the Jolly Hotel Bellini, for a total trip time of 20 minutes in one direction. An Alibus ticket, good for up to 90 minutes from validation, costs 4€ and can be purchased at the airport, on board the bus (cash or credit), via UpMobile smartphone app, AMT vendors and affiliates, convenience stores, RyanAir flights, in some hotels and at automated ticket dispensers at Due Obelischi Pharmacy. For more information on Alibus, go to the AMT website.
The airport is also served by suburban and regional buses that travel to the outskirts of Catania, as well as destinations around Sicily. Information is available at the airport’s Information Desk, and tickets can be purchased at the Bus Tickets office in Arrivals (6:00AM - 10:00PM). You must validate your ticket before you board the bus, otherwise you may end up having to pay a fine of 50€ or more. Ticket validation machines are located near the bus entrances.
These car rental agencies are available onsite: AP Transfers, Forzese Autonoleggio, Hertz Italiana, Holiday Car Rental, Hollywood Rent A Car, Italy Car Rent and Locauto/Enterprise.
Metered taxis are available 24 hours a day at the airport and around Catania. Look for the yellow or white taxis with an illuminated “Taxi” sign on the top of the vehicle and the license number printed on the sides of the vehicle. Surcharges apply for trips to/from the airport, luggage, parties of more than 4 passengers and nighttime travel. If you order a taxi by phone, you will be charged for the distance the taxi had to travel to get to you, so you may want to hail a cab from a public place to save money. Total trip time between the airport and Catania city center is 15 minutes, and costs from 25€ - 40€.
Last Updated: 02 January 2017
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items mentioned in the guide, please email us at email@example.com.