Dortmund Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Dortmund Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
At 12 the security asks you to leave the airport with the advice to take a hotel.
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported back to us during their time at Dortmund Airport.
What to Expect
- A small, but modern international airport served by low-cost carriers and seasonal charter flights. A variety of shopping and dining options are available.
- Inefficient, confusing, and even expensive airport procedures, from check-in to boarding.
- Several reviewers mentioned stern, unwelcoming airport staff and security
- WiFi is available. See WiFi in the airport guide below.
Where to Sleep
- Overnight stays are not permitted at this airport.
- For uninterrupted sleep, there are hotels near the airport. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
For more information about the services and facilities available, scroll down to continue exploring our Dortmund Airport Guide. Send us your airport tips to help us keep this information up to date.
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
There are no pay-per-use lounges in the airport.
WiFi is available Dortmund Airport for a fee. You can purchase prepaid cards at the Information Desk and the West Bar and Shop. Rate: €3 for 1 hour • €5 for 2 hours • €30 for 24 hours.
If sleeping in Dortmund Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Ibis Budget Dortmund Airport - (15 min walk from the airport) No airport shuttle.
- Hotel Lohenstein - (4 min from the airport) There is a shuttle bus that runs from the airport to Holzwickede Railway Station. From Holzwickede Railway Station, the hotel is just a few minutes walk.
- Best Western Hotel Dortmund Airport - (6 min from the airport) No airport shuttle.
- Holiday Inn Express - (7 min from the airport) No airport shuttle.
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Dortmund Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - There are ATM’S located throughout the airport from a variety of banks.
- Baby Care Facilities - Baby Change Facilities are located on every level of the terminal both landside and airside. In addition, strollers are available for use airside in the airport, free of charge. Pick one up after clearing security and leave it at your boarding gate when you depart.
- Car Rentals - Yes, see our Airport Transportation section below.
- Currency Exchange - There are no exchange counters at the airport.
- Duty Free & Shopping - Heinemann Duty Free is available as well as a small selection of shops (Chocolates, Newspapers, etc.)
- Food & Drinks - There are a variety of coffee shops and restaurants available such as: Restaurant Bella Vista (Level 2) • East Bar + Shop/West Bar + Shop (Level 1) • Jacobs Cafe Bar (Level 1) • PizzaPastaPommes (Level 1) • Bistro Happy Landing (Level 0). Location: Landside and Airside. Hours: Not available but there are no 24 hour food options as of this update.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - Storage is not available.
- Luggage Trolleys - Available to use for a €1 fee.
- Luggage Wrapping - Available for €7 per piece of luggage. Location: Departures, landside, opposite the security checkpoints.
- Observation Deck - Location: Gallery Level, Level 2. Hours: 3:30AM - 12:00AM. Admission is free.
- Prayer Room - Not available.
- Smoking - There is a designated smoking area located Airside.
The airport is open 3:45AM – 12:00AM. The terminal closes at night, so you cannot spend the night.
AirportExpress links the airport to Dortmund Hauptbahnhof (main railway station) in a 25-minute nonstop journey. Buses depart hourly on the half-hour, from 4:30AM -9:30PM on weekdays, from 4:30AM - 6:30PM on Saturdays and from 5:30AM - 9:30PM on Sundays and public holidays. The bus stop at Dortmund Hauptbahnhof is located at the station’s forecourt (Königswall/City exit), near the taxi rank. AirportExpress also makes an addition stop close to the Messe Westfalenhallen during special international trade fairs and exhibitions. A single-ride adult ticket is €8.50. For timetable, visit the Dortmund Airport website.
AirportShuttle offers service between the airport and Holzwickede Station in a 6-minute journey. Buses depart every 20 minutes from 5:29AM - 10:29PM on weekdays, from 5:29AM - 7:29PM on Saturdays, and from 6:09AM - 10:29PM on Sundays and public holidays. A single-ride adult ticket is €3.00. Travel on the AirportShuttle is free if you have a Rail&Fly ticket. For timetable, visit the Dortmund Airport website.
VRR Bus 440 runs between the airport and Dortmund-Lütgendortmund, with a stop at Dortmund-Aplerbeck. Connection to the U-Bahn 47 line is available at Aplerbeck. For route map, schedule and fare information, visit the VRR website.
Hourly service is available between the airport and Unna Station via VKU Bus C41. For route maps, schedules and fare information, visit the VKU website.
The following car rental agencies are located in Arrivals (Level 0): Avis, Budget, Europcar, Hertz, Sixt and Thrifty. All of the listed agencies are open on weekdays, from 7:00AM - 10:00PM, however, hours of operation vary per agency on weekends and public holidays.
Taxis are available on the Arrivals Level on a 24-hour basis. All taxis are metered, and reservations are not required. Credit cards and cash are accepted. The following estimated one-way fares were current at the time of this update: to/from Dortmund Central Station €29; Dortmund Casino €37; Holzwickede €11; Unna €18.
Last Updated: 09 January 2017
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items mentioned in the guide, please email us at email@example.com.