Funchal Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Funchal Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the name of a hotel near the airport in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
everywhere there were some wood banks where we could sleep on. Unfortumately they are 'non-sleeper' design - Moddi
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, here is a quick run-down of what to expect during your time at Funchal Airport.
What to Expect
- The single terminal is built into the island, with parts underground, and offers service to many European destinations.
- This airport has a unique design that’s won many awards: due to the island’s geography, there was no space to extend the runway in the early 2000s. To solve the issue, engineers developed a platform, partly over the ocean.
- Free WiFi is available. See WiFi in the airport guide below.
Where to Sleep
- Seats have armrests, so you should be prepared to sleep on the floor.
- For uninterrupted sleep, there are hotels near the airport. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
Good to Know
- Economy class travellers can pay to access one of three airport lounges. See Airport Lounges in the airport guide below for locations and rates.
For more information about the services and facilities available, scroll down to continue exploring our Funchal Airport Guide. Send us your airport tips to help us keep this information up to date.
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
If you are an economy class traveller, you can enter these lounges at Funchal airport either by purchasing a lounge pass or through a membership program.
- Europa Lounge - Location: Landside arrivals area, level 0. Hours: Unknown. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (€23.00).
- Atlantico Lounge - Location: Airside departures area, level 3. Hours: Unknown. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (€23.00).
- Tap Portugal Lounge - Location: Airside, 3rd Floor. Hours: 4:30AM - 12:30AM. Lounge Access: Book Online (£25.00 - minimum 24 hour advance purchase is required)
Unlimited free WiFi is available at Funchal Airport. Connect to the "VINCI Airports wifi" network.
If sleeping in Funchal Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Hotel Albatroz Madeira Beach & Yacht Club - Less than 1 mile from the Madeira Funchal Airport, this hotel is only 10 minutes walking distance or you can opt for the hotel’s free airport shuttle.
- Residencial Prisma - Less than 2 miles from the airport. Free airport shuttle service available.
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Funchal Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
- ATMs - Locations: Levels 0, 1 and 2.
- Baby Care Facilities - Baby change facilities are available in several washrooms throughout the airport.
- Car Rentals - Yes, see our Airport Transportation section below.
- Currency Exchange – Unicâmbio offers currency exchange, Western Union, VAT tax refunds, and more. Location: landside. Hours: 9:00AM - 7:00PM.
- Disabled Services – The airport works in partnership with MyWay to provide personalized support for passengers with reduced mobility. Services include lifts, escalators, moving walkways, signage and professional support for those who book at least 48 hours in advance.
- Duty Free & Shopping - Duty-free shopping is available airside from 7:30AM - 11:00PM. In addition, a variety of retail shops and boutiques are available throughout the airport.
- Food & Drink - Food concessions throughout the airport operate with varying schedules. At the time of this update, there are no 24-hour dining options. Food options include: Buondi Caffe • Clocks • Cockpit • Gelati di Chef • Go To Cafe • Pizza Hut • Saudade Madeira Cafe (open at 4:00AM) • Specially.
- Information Desk – Located on Level 1, and open between 8:00AM – 11:00PM daily.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - There are two storage options available: Baggage deposit is €4.00 per piece of luggage, per 24-hour period, or 4-hr period if less than 24 hours. Baggage of all sizes can be stored in the baggage deposit, and there is no maximum storage period. Luggage lockers are also available, at a rate of €2.50 - €3.50 per day, depending on the size of the locker. Storage options are available 24 hours a day. Inquire at the Information Desk for assistance.
- Luggage Wrapping - Safe Bag luggage wrapping is available landside in the Check-In area. Fee: unknown.
- Medical Services - Urgent and emergency medical care is available in the First Aid station. Location: landside. Hours: 8:00AM - 12:00AM.
- Mobile Charging – Not available.
- Rest Zones – Not available.
- Showers – Not available.
The airport is open 24 hours.
Sociedade de Automóveis da Madeira (SAM) operates a number of buses daily between Machico and Funchal, via the airport: 20 Stº Serra, 23 Machico, 53 Faial,113 Baía d' Abra, 113 Caniçal, 113 Rª Seca, 156 Maroços, 208 P. Cruz, 208 Faial. Buses operate every day except for Christmas. Bus fare is € 3,35.
Aerobus offers daily regular bus service between the airport and Praia Formosa in Funchal, with multiple stops along the way. Total trip time one way is 45 minutes. Departures are every 30 - 60 minutes, with service starting as early as 5:00AM from Funchal or 9:30AM from the airport. Many hotels are accessible from the stops along this route. Adult fare is €5 one-way or €8 round trip. Buses stop right outside of the Arrivals area of the airport.
For routes maps, schedules and fares for either of these buses, visit the SAM website.
Onsite car rental agencies include Avis/Budget, Europcar, Goldcar, Guerin, Hertz, Rodavante and Sixt.
Taxis are available at a taxi stand located on Level 0, just outside of Arrivals. All taxis are metered, and reservations are not required. The starting fare on the meter is € 4, with a surcharge of € 1.50 per piece of luggage. Fares are 20% higher on weeknights, between 9:00PM - 6:00AM, and also on weekends and public holidays.
Last Updated: 09 January 2017
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items mentioned in the guide, please email us at email@example.com.