Leipzig-Halle Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Leipzig Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
There was no need to break out my sleeping bag and iso-matress, the benches were comfy enough. -a traveller
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported back to us during their time at Leipzig/Halle Airport.
What to Expect
- A large single-terminal airport with clean facilities and a good variety of shops, restaurants and services.
- Restaurants close at night, so keep some food and beverages handy for late-night snacking!
- WiFi is available. See WiFi in the airport guide below.
Where to Sleep
- The check-in area has comfortable benches and a pleasant ambient temperature. Airport staff will leave you alone unless you cause a ruckus. The area will get busy around 5:00AM, when passengers start rolling in to check in for their flights. Lights are dimmed for night time here, but may still be too bright, so have a sleep mask handy!
- For uninterrupted sleep, there are hotels near the airport. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
Good to Know
- Economy class passengers can pay to enter the airport’s first class lounge. See our Airport Lounges section for locations and rates.
For more information about the services and facilities available, scroll down to continue exploring our Leipzig/Halle Airport Guide. Send us your airport tips to help us keep this information up to date.
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
If you are an economy class traveller, you can enter these lounges at Leipzig airport either by purchasing a lounge pass or through a membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details (ie. facilities, hours, pass and membership information):
- Primeclass Lounge - Location: Terminal B, airside. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (€20) • Book Online (£22.00)
- Lufthansa Business Lounge - Location: Terminal B, Airside, take the elevator or escalator to the upper floor entrance. Lounge Access: Book Online (US$ 42 - day pass)
WiFi is available at Leipzig Airport for a fee. Connect to the "mycloud" network.
If sleeping in Leipzig Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Globana Airport Hotel - (5 minutes from the airport) Free one-way airport shuttle available. For the return trip, you will pay 13,50€ per person.
- Das Lehmhaus am Anger - (5 minutes from the airport) No airport shuttle.
- Ibis Styles Leipzig - (6 minutes from the airport) No airport shuttle.
- Landhotel-Gleisen - (8 minutes from the airport) Airport shuttle available.
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Leipzig Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
- Airport Tours - The airport's visitor center offers guests a range of guided airport tours.Must be pre-booked. Location: Besucherservice, Landside. Hours: 9:00AM - 5:00PM (Mon - Sun)
- ATMs / Cash Machines - A Sparkasse Leipzig ATM is available in Terminal B, at the Check-in area. A ReiseBank AG change machine converts approximately 15 different foreign currencies into any of these foreign currencies: EUR (Euro), USD (US Dollars), CHF (Swiss Francs), TRL (Turkish Lira), or GBP (British Pounds).
- Baby Care Facilities - Baby changing rooms are available in Terminal B on the ground floor (Arrivals), the departures waiting areas (both Schengen and non-Schengen), and in the airport mall.
- Car Rentals - Yes, see our Airport Transportation section below.
- Casino - Spiel-In Casino - Location: Terminal B, ground floor. Hours: 6:00AM - 11:00PM.
- Change Machine - A change machine is available which converts approximately 15 currencies into change in 5 local currencies.
- Children’s Play Area - There is a play area available airside on the upper level of Terminal B in both Schengen and non-Schengen waiting areas.
- Currency Exchange - Location: B, ground floor. Hours: 7:30AM - 6:00PM (Mon - Fri) and 11:00AM - 4:00PM (Sat, Sun, Holidays).
- Duty Free & Shopping - Heinemann Duty Free is located in Terminal B (upper level), open during flight operating times. A small market, a book store, and a newsstand are also available in the airport.
- Flight Simulator - Aviation enthusiasts and hobby pilots can enjoy the full-motion simulation of a Piper PA-34 flight! Location: Terminal B, ground floor. Hours: 9:00AM - 6:00PM. Rates: €69 for a 60-minute session (30 min in the cockpit) or €129 for a 90-minute session (60 min in the cockpit).
- Food & Drinks - Most food concessions throughout the airport operate according to daily flight schedule. At the time of this update, there are no 24-hour dining options.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - Self-service baggage lockers are available for use at a rate of € 3 per 24-hour period (maximum of 9 days storage). Location: just east of Terminal B, between Terminal B and the Administration Building.
- Medical Services - There are 5 First-Aid stations located on all levels. It is not known if these are manned stations.
- Observation Deck - Get a bird’s eye view of the entire airport complex, including runways and central terminal! Access this viewing deck on the rooftop of the Administration Building via stairs or elevator. Rate: €2 per person, coins only. A change machine is available onsite. Hours: 24 hours a day, except during times of inclement weather.
- Prayer Areas - A non-denominational Christian chapel is open 24 hours a day on the 1st floor, with both Protestant and Catholic pastoral services available. A prayer room for Muslims is also open 24 hours a day on the 1st floor, near the west entrance.
- Showers - not available
- VAT Refund - A Global Blue Refund counter can be found at Airport Services Leipzig GmbH. Hours: according to the Lufthansa flight schedule.
The airport is open 24 hours.
Airport Shuttles and Coaches
Fritzsche Shuttles offer shared-ride door-to-door minibus service within a 28-mile range of the airport, with service extending as far south as Chemnitz and the Erz Mountains. Reservations are required, and should be made at least a week in advance, if possible. For service details and reservations, visit the Fritzsche Shuttle website.
Several local companies also operate scheduled or on-demand regional shuttle services to and from the airport. Reservations may be required. Contact your service provider of choice for details.
BerlinLinienBus offers scheduled long-distance bus service between the airport and locations throughout the country. For routes, schedules, fares and reservations, visit the BerlinLinienBus website.
Car rental desks are located in Terminal B, on Level 0. Onsite car rental agencies include Avis/Budget, Caro Autovermietung, Enterprise, Europcar, Hertz and Sixt.
Taxis and Shared Ride Shuttles
Taxis are available in front of Terminal B on a 24-hour basis. All taxis are metered, and reservations are not required. Total one-way trip time to Leipzig city center is 40 minutes, and to Halle city center is 30 minutes. At the time of this update, estimated one-way fare is €30 - 45.
Leipzig/Halle Airport railway station is located underneath the airport terminal, accessed by trains from all over central Germany. The “Flughafen Express” runs daily between the airport and Leipzig Hauptbahnhof (main railway station) every 30 minutes from 5:00AM - 12:00AM. Total one-way trip time is 14 minutes, and adult fare costs €7. For timetables and additional information, visit the MDV website.
Connections are available to Frankfurt, Magdeburg, Hanover, Cologne and Dresden, via IC and ICE trains. Two lines of the S-Bahn Mitteldeutschland also run through the airport, providing connections to Leipzig, Halle, Altenburg and Zwickau. For routes, schedules and ticketing information, visit the Deutsche Bahn website.
Last Updated: 12 February 2017
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items mentioned in the guide, please email us at email@example.com.