Karlstad Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Karlstad Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
I was kicked out by the security. I was tired and neede some sleep, and may well had accepted the floor in the briefing room, but no... hell, had to spend the night on a very hard bench outside the terminal building - Attila
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported back to us during their time at Karlstad Airport.
What to Expect
- A tiny single-terminal international airport with basic amenities, served mainly by seasonal flights.
Where to Sleep
- Overnight stays are not permitted at this airport.
- For uninterrupted sleep, there are hotels near the airport. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
For more information about the services and facilities available, scroll down to continue exploring our Karlstad Airport Guide. Send us your airport tips to help us keep this information up to date.
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
There are no pay-per-use lounges in the airport.
Free WiFi is available at Karlstad Airport. To connect, text "solstaden" to 71120. You will receive a text with a user name and password. Connect to the "karlstad!guest" network.
If sleeping in Karlstad Airport does not appeal to you, Kils Hotell & Restaurang is the closest hotel to the airport. More hotels can be found in Karlstad city center (15 minutes south of the airport).
- Kils Hotell & Restaurang - (10 min from the airport) No airport shuttle.
To see more options there is a list of hotel deals in Karlstad on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
- ATM’s / Cash Machines - Not available at the airport.
- Car Rentals - Yes, see our Airport Transportation section below.
- Conference Facilities - The airport is equipped to host conferences for up to 60 people, half day and full day rate are available and includes free wifi and catering.
- Currency Exchange - Yes
- Food & Drinks - The airport’s only dining option is Bistro Airport. Hours: 8:30AM - 4:00PM (Mon-Fri) 1:30PM - 4:00PM (Sun). Also open 2 hours before charter flight departures and Norwegian sailings. Closed on Saturdays. A variety of sodas and rum-based cocktails are available for purchase at Street Bar.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - Yes, lockers are available for short term storage. Location and rates are not known.
- Showers - not available
- Smoking - The airport is a smoke free building.
The airport is open 5:20AM - 10:00PM (Mon - Fri) • Closed (Sat) • 8:30AM - 11:30AM & 1:30PM - 10:00PM (Sun). The airport hours seem to change weekly. Visit the Karlstad Airport web site for the updated hours.
Avis, Europcar, Hertz and Sixt offer car rental service for Karlstad Airport. Reservation must be made in advance in order to pick up the keys to your rental car at the airport.
Värmlandstrafik offers shuttle service between the airport and select destinations in central Karlstad. Buses run on a schedule in coordination with the arrivals and departures of flights from Arlanda Airport (Stockholm) and Frankfurt Airport. Tickets cost 75kr per person, with discounts available for young adults and children, and must be booked at least 1 hour before landing at Karlstad Airport. Total trip time one way is about 55 - 75 minutes, depending on the final destination. For reservations, visit the Värmlandstrafik website.
Taxis are available at the ground transportation area of the airport terminal. All taxis are metered, and reservations are not required. At the time of this update, one-way fare between the airport and central Karlstad is 360 kr.
Last Updated: 12 February 2017
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items mentioned in the guide, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.