Katowice Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Katowice Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
Had a good 5 hours of shut-eye - woke up by myself at around seven.
photo credit: Adam Dziura / Wikimedia
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported back to us during their time at Katowice International Airport.
What to Expect
- A small international airport with two departures terminals (Terminals A and B) for Schengen and non-Schengen passengers and one arrivals terminal (Terminal C). A variety of shopping and dining options are available, with some open 24 hours!
- Invasive and heavy-handed security checkpoints. One reviewer claims his camera equipment was broken and film ruined during a forced x-ray examination.
- Clean facilities, including the restrooms.
- WiFi is is available. See WiFi in the airport guide below.
Where to Sleep
- There are mixed reviews on sleeping in the Observation Deck. Some reviewers complained of chilly temps, cold benches, too much sunlight and noise from the repeated overhead announcements and the cleaning crew. One reviewer recommended sleeping in the area outside of the Observation Deck. Either way, have a sleeping bag or travel mat handy, as well as a sleep mask and earplugs or noise-cancelling headphones, to improve your chances of a good night’s sleep!
- Some reviewers found the 1st floor preferable for sleeping, with quieter, darker areas and armrest-free seating available.
- For uninterrupted sleep, there are hotels near the airport. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
Good to Know
- Economy class passengers can pay to enter one of the airport’s first class lounges. See our Airport Lounges section for locations and rates.
For more information about the services and facilities available, scroll down to continue exploring our Katowice Airport Guide. Send us your airport tips to help us keep this information up to date.
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
- Business Lounge - Location: Terminal A, Airside, near Gate 1. Non-Schengen flights only. Hours: 4:00AM - 10:00PM (Daily). Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (60 PLN)
- Business Lounge - Location: Terminal B, Airside, 1st Floor. International and Schengen flights only. Hours: 4:00AM - 10:00PM (Daily). Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (60 PLN)
WiFi is available at Kotowice Airport inside the lounges. [ see Airport Lounges above ] At the time of this update, we did not have any information about WiFi availability elsewhere in the terminal.
If sleeping in Katowice Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- DeSilva Inn - (2 min from the airport) Free 24-hr roundtrip airport shuttle bus.
- Pensjonat Iskra - (5 min from the airport) Free 24-hr roundtrip airport shuttle.
- Hotel Iskra by Katowice Airport - (6 min from the airport) Free 24-hr roundtrip airport shuttle.
- Hotel Wilga by Katowice Airport - (6 min from the airport) Free 24-hr roundtrip airport shuttle.
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Katowice Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
- Art in the Airport - Gaze upon beautiful art while you wait for your flight at the Sky Gallery. Location: Terminal B, Level 2, in the Observation Deck. See “Observation Deck” below.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - Available landside
- Baby Care Facilities - Baby change facilities can be found in some washrooms in addition to the dedicated baby care rooms that are available.
- Car Rentals - Yes, see our Airport Transportation section below.
- Chapel - Location: Terminal B, Landside, 2nd Floor
- Currency Exchange - There are several curency exchange offices in Terminal A.
- Duty Free & Shopping - Duty-free shopping is available airside on the Departures level of Terminals A and B. A few newsstands and gift shops are available. If you need to pick up groceries on your way home to your destination in Katowice, stop at 1 Minute Grocery Store, located landside on the ground floor of Terminal B.
- Fast Track Service - As a premium service, customers with Fast Track security passes are given priority service to ensure that waiting is kept to a minimum. Fee: 40 PLN, payable online or at the Business Lounge.
- Food & Drinks - Food concessions throughout the airport operate with varying schedules. At the time of this update, we are unable to confirm the availability of 24-hour dining. Food options: Chief’s Restaurant • Coffee House • Flying Bistro • Kebab & Salad • Pizza & Salad • SO! Coffee (2 locations) • Travel Chef • Voyage.
- Information Desk - Location: landside, ground floor. Hours: open 24 hours
- Kid's Zone - Let your kids burn off energy before a flight! KidZone offers a play area for children over age 3, and a baby-care room. Location: Terminal B, landside, 1st floor.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - not available
- Observation Deck - Enjoy a bird’s eye view of the airport complex from the longest observation deck in Poland, along with a scale model of the airport and works of art at the Sky Gallery. Fee: 1 PLN coin, payable at the turnstile. Location: Terminal B, Level 2. Hours: Open 24 hours.
- Pharmacy - Apteka Pharmacy - Location: Terminal B, Landside, Ground Level. Hours: 4:00AM - 9:30PM.
- Post Office - Location: Terminal A, Landside, Ground Floor.
- Shopping & Duty Free - In addition to a limited number of small stores, there are a few 24 hour Duty Free stores open Airside in both Terminal A and B. If you are a local returning home from vacation and you need to pick up a few essential grocieries before returning home, there is a grocery store (1 Minute Grocery Store, Terminal A, Landside, Ground Floor. Hours: 6:00AM - 10:00PM).
- Showers - A reader tells us that there are free showers. Location is unknown.
The airport is open 24 hours.
Public city buses offer service between the airport and Bytom (Bus 53 or 85), Mierzęcice (Bus 17) and central Katowice (“Airport Bus”).
PKM Katowice offers daily service between the airport and Katowice Centre.
Matuszek Bus makes round trip journeys from Kraków to the airport and back.
P-Air PyrzowiceEkspres.pl is the official bus service of Wizz Air, offering service between Katowice Airport and Kraków or Częstochowa.
TigerExpress.eu minibuses offer service between the airport and these cities in the Czech Republic: Ostrava - Bohumín - Rybnik - Gliwice - Pyrzowice
GTL-Service Car Rental, Silvercar and Budget are available onsite on the ground floor of Terminal A. Panek Rent A Car is located on the 1st floor of Terminal B. Jolcar, GT-Cars and Express Rent A Car are located on the ground floor of Terminal C. Incar24, iCar, Joka, Awos 24,Vector24, Solid-Car, JAM Rent A Car, RentCar, MiRent and Odkryj-Auto also serve the airport, with some agencies providing airport pick-up. Contact your service provider of choice for details.
Taxis are available at the ground transportation area of the airport terminal. All taxis are metered, and reservations are not required.
Last Updated: 12 February 2017
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items mentioned in the guide, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.