London City Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our London City Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
There are no seats before security other than an upstairs bar where you cannot nap.
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported back to us during their time at London City Airport.
What to Expect
- A clean and modern international airport with a small variety of shops and restaurants, mostly located airside.
- Easily-accessible by public transportation
- No seating available landside.
- Free WiFi is available. See Airport WiFi in the airport guide below.
Where to Sleep
- As of February 2017, we have no reviews from travellers who have attempted to sleep in this airport. Write a review to help future travellers!
- For uninterrupted sleep, there are hotels near the airport. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
For more information about the services and facilities available, scroll down to continue exploring our London City Airport Guide. Send us your airport tips to help us keep this information up to date.
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
- First Class Lounge - Location:Private Jet Terminal. Hours: 5:30AM - 10:00PM (Monday - Friday) • 5:30AM - 12:30PM (Saturday) • 11:30AM - 10:00PM (Sunday). Lounge Access: Book Online (US$119)
Free WiFi is available at London City Airport. Additionally, if you are not travelling with a mobile device, there are internet kiosks are available in the Departure Lounge near Gates 1 and 2.
If sleeping in London City Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Travelodge Hotel - London City Airport - (10 min walk or 4 min drive from the airport) No airport shuttle.
- Ibis Budget London City Airport - (15 min walk or 6 min drive from the airport) No airport shuttle.
- Travelodge London Excel Hotel - (7 min from the airport) No airport shuttle.
To see more options there is a list of hotels near London City Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - There are cash machines available Landside and Airside. All Travelex ATM in the airport dispense Pounds and Euros.
- Car Rentals - Yes, see our Airport Transportation section below.
- Children’s Play Area - Location: Inside Lakers Bar, Airside.
- Currency Exchange - Travelex has 4 foreign exchange counters. Locations: International Arrivals • Domestic Arrivals • Departure Lounge (Airside) • Near the Information Desk in the Terminal concourse (Landside).
- Duty Free & Shopping - Landside you will find a WH Smith, airside offers Duty Free and small selection of other shops.
- Food & Drinks - There are no 24 hour food concessions at the London City Airport.There are cafes and restaurants available both landside and airside.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - Location: Security Zone A. Rate: £10 per item per 24-hour period. Hours: see terminal hours below. Note: You must first log your items with the information Desk. A special receipt will be issued. Then you take the bags to the Left Luggage room located in security zone A. Important note: you will not have access to your luggage when the airport is closed. Hours: 5:00AM-10:00PM (Mon-Fri) • 5:00AM-1:00PM (Sat) • 11:00AM-10:20PM (Sun).
- Pharmacy - Boots Drugstore is located airside.
- Shoe Shine - Shine Corp offers complimentary shoe shine service. Location: near the Information Desk, Airside, departure lounge. Hours: 6:30AM - 9:30AM and 4:00PM - 7:00PM (Monday - Friday)
- Showers - Not available
- Silent Airport Policy - The airport only makes announcements regarding bad weather or emergencies. Flight announcements are not made which can make for nice napping but be sure to set your alarm.
- Smoking - Permitted outside the terminal in designated areas.
The airport hours are: 5:30AM - 10:00PM (Mon - Fri) • 5:30AM - 1:00PM (Sat) • 11:00AM - 10:20PM (Sun)
Bus 473 and 474 run between London City Airport and Canning Town, Plaistow, Stratford and North Woolwich. For route maps, schedules and fares, visit the Transport for London website.
Onsite car rental agencies include Avis, Budget, Europcar and Hertz. Location: next to the Terminal Building. Hours: 7:00AM - 9:30PM (Mon - Fri) • 7:00AM - 4:00PM (Sat) • 10:00AM - 9:30PM (Sun).
Docklands Light Railway
The Docklands Light Railway connects London City Airport to East London and the London Underground. Trains depart every 8 - 15 minutes, with connections to other DLR lines at Canning Town station and connections to Underground and National Rail stations available from other DLR stops via the Jubilee Line. For route maps, schedules and fares, visit the Transport For London website.
Taxis and Minicabs
Fully licensed London (black) taxis are available outside of the airport terminal. Taxis and minicabs can also be pre-booked before or upon arrival. Please note: Both taxis and minicabs are licensed to transport passengers, but while taxis can be hired without a reservation, minicabs (by law) are not allowed to take passengers without a reservation. Do not accept rides from a minicab driver who approaches you to solicit a ride.
The following one-way black taxi rates were current at the time of this update: Buckingham Palace £35.00; City of London £25.00; Earls Court £50.00; Paddington £50.00; Piccadilly £40.00; Victoria Station £35.00; West End £40.00
Last Updated: 26 April 2016
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items mentioned in the guide, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.