London City Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our London City Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
There are no seats before security other than an upstairs bar where you cannot nap.
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported back to us during their time at London City Airport.
What to Expect
- A clean and modern international airport with a small variety of shops and restaurants, mostly located airside.
- Easily-accessible by public transportation
- No seating available landside.
- Free WiFi is available. See Airport WiFi in the airport guide below.
Where to Sleep
- As of February 2017, we have no reviews from travellers who have attempted to sleep in this airport. Write a review to help future travellers!
- For uninterrupted sleep, there are hotels near the airport. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
For more information about the services and facilities available, scroll down to continue exploring our London City Airport Guide. Send us your airport tips to help us keep this information up to date.
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
If you are an economy class traveller, you can enter these lounges at London City airport either by purchasing a lounge pass or through a membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details (ie. facilities, hours, pass and membership information):
- Business Lounge - Location: Private Jet Terminal. Hours: Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (£35)
- First Class Lounge - Location: Private Jet Terminal. Hours: 5:30AM - 10:00PM (Monday - Friday) • 5:30AM - 12:30PM (Saturday) • 11:30AM - 10:00PM (Sunday). Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (£95) • Buy a Lounge Pass (US$119)
Free WiFi is available at London City Airport. Additionally, if you are not travelling with a mobile device, there are internet kiosks are available in the Departure Lounge near Gates 1 and 2.
If sleeping in London City Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Travelodge Hotel - London City Airport - (4 minutes from the airport) No airport shuttle.
- Ibis Budget London City Airport - (6 minutes from the airport) No airport shuttle. A taxi costs approx. £8.
- Travelodge London Excel Hotel - (7 minutes from the airport) No airport shuttle.
To see more options there is a list of hotels near London City Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - Located throughout the landside and airside areas, all ATMs in the airport dispense both Euro and GBP.
- Car Rentals - Yes, see our Airport Transportation section below.
- Currency Exchange - Travelex offers currency exchange at these four locations: Near the information desk at the left of the airport entrance (landside) • Departures, airside, just after the security checkpoint • International Arrivals Hall, airside, to the right of the entrance • Domestic Arrivals concourse, airside. Hours: 5:00AM - 9:45PM (Mon-Fri) 5:00AM - 12:30PM (Sat) 10:30AM - 9:45PM (Sun).
- Duty Free & Shopping - Aelia Duty Free offers tax-free shopping airside. Other airside shops are WHSmith, a WHSmith book store, Boots Pharmacy, and Dixon Travel store. A second WHSmith is available landside.
- Food & Drinks - Food concessions throughout the airport operate on varying schedules during terminal operating hours. While there are a few offerings landside, a wider variety of dining options is available airside.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - Left luggage storage is available at a rate of £10 per item, per 24-hour period. To store your items, report to the Information Desk with your items and a valid passport or photo ID, where you will receive a receipt to present to the luggage storage room along with your items. To pick up your items, you pay at the Information Desk before collecting your items at the storage room. Location: Left Luggage Room, landside, Security Zone A (behind the check-in desks). Hours: Open during terminal hours only (see Airport Hours below).
- Pharmacy - Boots Drugstore is located airside.
- Shoe Shine - Shine Corp offers complimentary shoe shine service. Location: near the Information Desk, Airside, departure lounge. Hours: 6:30AM - 9:30AM and 4:00PM - 7:00PM (Monday - Friday)
- Showers - Not available
- Silent Airport Policy - The airport only makes announcements regarding bad weather or emergencies. Flight announcements are not made which can make for nice napping but be sure to set your alarm.
- Smoking - Permitted outside the terminal in designated areas.
The airport hours are: 5:30AM - 10:00PM (Mon - Fri) • 5:30AM - 1:00PM (Sat) • 11:00AM - 10:20PM (Sun). Overnight stays are not permitted on airport property, and the terminal is locked during off-hours.
Bus 473 and 474 run between London City Airport and Canning Town, Plaistow, Stratford and North Woolwich. For route maps, schedules and fares, visit the Transport for London website.
Onsite car rental agencies include Avis, Budget, Europcar and Hertz. Location: next to the Terminal Building. Hours: 7:00AM - 9:30PM (Mon - Fri) • 7:00AM - 4:00PM (Sat) • 10:00AM - 9:30PM (Sun).
Docklands Light Railway
The Docklands Light Railway connects London City Airport to East London and the London Underground. Trains depart every 8 - 15 minutes, with connections to other DLR lines at Canning Town station and connections to Underground and National Rail stations available from other DLR stops via the Jubilee Line. For route maps, schedules and fares, visit the Transport For London website.
Taxis and Minicabs
Fully licensed London (black) taxis are available outside of the airport terminal. Taxis and minicabs can also be pre-booked before or upon arrival. Please note: Both taxis and minicabs are licensed to transport passengers, but while taxis can be hired without a reservation, minicabs (by law) are not allowed to take passengers without a reservation. Do not accept rides from a minicab driver who approaches you to solicit a ride.
The following one-way black taxi rates were current at the time of this update: Buckingham Palace £35.00; City of London £25.00; Earls Court £50.00; Paddington £50.00; Piccadilly £40.00; Victoria Station £35.00; West End £40.00
Last Updated: 27 February 2017
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items mentioned in the guide, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.