London Southend Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our London Southend Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the name of a hotel near the airport in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
Got there at 11.50, prepared myself to sleep and the security guard came to say they were closing! - ladysarac
photo credit: Chris J Wood / Wikimedia
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported back to us during their time at London Southend Airport.
What to Expect
- This is a small airport with a single terminal.
- Be cautious when planning a visit to Southend airport. Because of the train schedule, many reviewers have ended up stranded outside the airport in the cold, waiting for their morning flights.
Where to Sleep
- Because the airport is closed at night, sleeping here is not permitted.
- For uninterrupted sleep, there are hotels near the airport. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
Good to Know
- Economy class passengers can pay to use the first class lounge. See Airport Lounges in the airport guide below for locations and rates.
For more information about the services and facilities available, scroll down to continue exploring our London Southend Airport Guide. Send us your airport tips to help us keep this information up to date.
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
- Skylife Lounge - Location: Airside. Hours: 5:00AM - 7:30PM (Daily). Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (£20.95)
Free WiFi is available at London Southend Airport.
If sleeping in London Southend Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Holiday Inn Southend - (1 minute walk from the terminal) No airport shuttle.
- Premier Inn Southend Airport Hotel - (5 minutes from the airport) No airport shuttle.
- The Rochford Hotel - (5 minutes from the airport) No airport shuttle. A taxi costs approx. £5-10.
- Skylark Hotel - (7 minutes from the airport) No airport shuttle. A taxi costs approx. £5.
- Travelodge Southend on Sea - (10 minutes from the airport) No airport shuttle.
To see more options there is a list of hotels near London Southend Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
- Car Rentals - Yes, see our Airport Transportation section below.
- Children’s Play Area - Location: Inside Lakers Bar, Airside.
- Currency Exchange - Moneycorp Travel Money offers currency exchange in the Departures Lounge (airside) and at the Arrivals exit (landside). Hours: unknown
- Duty Free & Shopping - Tax & Duty Free at London Southend Airport is open daily from 4:30AM - 7:30PM. Location: airside, ground floor, opposite Gate 2. You can also purchase newspapers, magazines, snacks and travel necessities at the nearby WHSmith.
- Food & Drinks - Lakers Bar & Restaurant serves all food in 15 minutes or less. Location: Departures Lounge, airside, opposite Gates 5 and 6 • Arnold & Forbes Cafe Kitchen offers a wide variety of choices in two locations: landside, opposite the Arrivals Doors and airside, Departure Lounge, near Gate 1.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - not available
- Showers - not available
- Smoking - Not permitted within the airport so best to smoke outside before you check in.
The airport is open from 4:00AM until 45 minutes after the last flight of the day, usually around 12:00AM.
Bus and Coach
The X30 links Southend city center to London Stansted Airport, via Southend Airport and Chelmsford. Buses stop near the taxi rank at the air traffic control tower. Arriva Buses 7, 8 and 9 stop on Eastwoodbury Crescent, behind the Holiday Inn Southend airport hotel.
National Express offer coach service between Southend Airport, Stratford Bus & Rail Station, Liverpool Street Station and Victoria Coach Station, with one departure from the airport late at night, and an early morning departure from Victoria Coach Station for the airport. Tickets can be purchased online or from the Moneycorp Bureau in the Arrivals area of Southend Airport.
Europcar offers car rental services onsite. Location: entrance concourse (landside).
Andrews Airport Cars provide exclusive taxi service for Southend Airport 24-hours a day, 7 days a week.
Service is available between the airport and central London, with up to 8 trains per hour running between Southend Airport Station and London Liverpool Street Station or Stratford Station. Tickets start at £14.90 for a one-way journey.
Last Updated: 30 March 2017
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items mentioned in the guide, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.