Madrid Barajas Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Madrid Barajas Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
Madrid Barajas best place to sleep is in the departure area, upstairs, about 20 people here right now between checkin point nr.153 and 130. No seats but with a coat on the floor and the backpack as a pillow is quite confi! And best thing, Free WiFi :)-Мичаи on Facebook
By a traveller
September 2015 - I had to spend two nights at Madrid airport on my way to and back from Lisbon. The first night I spent only airside since my luggage was checked all the way through. I stayed in Terminal 2D, where there are drinking water fountains and lots of space to stretch out (armrests every 2 seats). It is reasonably quiet, but bright, so consider bringing a sleeping mask. No shops were open after 23:00! On the way back, I had to go landside for my luggage. I stayed at Burger King in Terminal 1 (at the Ryanair check-in 350), where the lights are off and lots of travelers gather for the night. There are only chairs and not many benches, so I slept on the floor. However, there are loud announcements at least every hour. In terminal 2 there is a coffee shop open 24 hours. If possible, I would definitely recommend going airside since it is quieter and there is more space.
Have you been to Madrid Barajas Airport recently? Write a Review!
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
If you are an economy class traveller, you can enter these lounges at Madrid Barajas airport either by purchasing a lounge pass or through a membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details (ie. facilities, hours, pass and membership information):
- Amnios Lounge - Location: Terminal 4 Satellite, Airside, P2, non-Schengen flights. Showers are available ($). Hours: Open 24 Hours. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (€25+VAT) • Priority Pass.
- La Revoltosa - Location: Terminal 4, Airside, 1st Floor, Schengen flights. Hours: 5:00AM - 11:00PM. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (€26.50+VAT) • Priority Pass.
- Sala VIP Cibeles - Location: Terminal 1, Airside, P2, non-Schengen flights, between Gates B26 and 29. Hours: open 24 hours. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (€20.67) • Priority Pass.
- Sala Puerta de Alcala - Location: Terminal 2, Airside, P2, domestic and Schengen flights, near Gate D62. Hours: 5:00AM - 11:00PM. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (€20.67) • Priority Pass.
- Sala Puerta del Sol - Location: Terminal 3, Airside, P2, domestic & Schengen flights, near Gate E69. Hours: 5:00AM - 11:00PM. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (€26.50) • Priority Pass.
- Business Centre - Location: Terminal 4, floor 2, landside. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (€25.00).
Free unlimited WiFi is available at Madrid Barajas Airport. Connect to the "kubiwireless" network. (SSID: Airport_Free_Wifi_AENA). Additionally, there are internet access points located throughout the Terminals. Some of these have printers and free mobile chargers.
If sleeping in Madrid Barajas Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels inside and near the airport:
- Air Rooms - There are 22 rooms located inside Terminal 4 on Floor 1 (landside). Rooms can be booked for day use (3-6 hours) between the hours 10:00AM - 6:00PM or overnight. Showers are available. A shower kit consisting of a towel, gel and and slippers are provided.
- Ibis Madrid Aeropuerto Barajas - (2 min from the airport) Free airport shuttle.
- TRYP Madrid Alameda Aeropuerto Hotel - (2 min from the airport) Free airport shuttle runs 24-hr all year round. There is a sign posted outside of each terminal that says “BUSES HOTEL”. This hotel shares an airport shuttle with Melia Barajas Hotel. Call 917 477 700 for airport pick-up on demand.
- Melia Barajas - (3 min from the airport) Free airport shuttle runs 24-hr all year round. There is a sign posted outside of each terminal that says “BUSES HOTEL”. This hotel shares an airport shuttle with TRYP Madrid Alameda Aeropuerto Hotel. Call 917 477 700 for airport pick-up on demand.
- Clement Barajas Hotel - (3 min from the airport) Free airport shuttle departs hourly on the hour and stops outside of Arrivals at Terminals 1, 2, and 4. This hotel shares a shuttle bus with taCH Hotel. Shuttle does not run from 1:00AM to 4:00AM.
- taCH Hotel - (3 min from the airport) Free airport shuttle departs hourly on the hour and stops outside of Arrivals at Terminals 1, 2, and 4. This hotel shares a shuttle bus with Clement Barajas Hotel. Shuttle does not run from 1:00AM to 4:00AM.
- Best Western Hotel Villa de Barajas - (3 min from the airport) Free airport shuttle from 6:00AM to Midnight. Call hotel directly upon arrival to request airport pick-up.
To find a cheap room, there is a list of hotels near Madrid Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - Available landside and airside in Terminals 1, 2 and 4.
- Baggage Trolleys - Available, but it is unknown whether they are free.
- Business Centre - Location: Terminal 4, P2. Hours: 8:00AM - 8:00PM.
- Chapel - There are 3 locations: Terminal 1, P2 / Terminal 2, P1 / Terminal 4, P2.
- Children's Play Areas - There is a playground located in Terminal 2, Floor 1, Boarding Area D. Hours: 8:00AM - 8:00PM. Additionally, there are 18 other play areas located throughout all terminals.
- Currency Exchange - There are 16 currency exchange locations at Barajas of which 8 provide services 24 hours a day (T1, T4 and T4 Satellite).
- Family Services - The airport offers these family-friendly services:
- There are 2 dedicated areas for breastfeeding that include cots for the little ones as well as play areas. Locations: Terminal 2, Floor 1, Boarding Area D and Terminal 4, Floor 1, Boarding area.
- There are 7 areas in Terminals, 1, 2 and 4 (including T4 Satellite) which provide free stroller service as well as a baggage trolleys with child seats, at the Boarding Areas, Floor 1.
- Food & Drinks - There are many food concessions available throughout the terminals. Below are the concessions that are open 24-hours:
- Terminal 4 - McDonalds (Landside, Floor 2) • McDonalds (Airside, Floor 1, Gate J) • Eating Point (Airside, Floor 1, Gate J).
- There are also Delikia Fresh vending machines located in all Terminals, all floors, offering hot and cold beverages and an assortment of sandwiches and snacks.
- Information Desks - There is no shortage of information points available at the airport. Virtual hostesses can be found in every Terminal near check-in/boarding areas. In addition, Skycap Teams are available at 18 different locations throughout the Terminals, most of which are open 24 hours.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - There are two left luggage offices. Locations: Terminal 1, Floor 0, Landscaped Area in front of Hall 2 • Terminal 4, Floor 0, Arrivals Hall. Rates: from €6.00 (0-2 hours) to €10.00 (full day). Long term rates up to two weeks are available. Hours: open 24 hours
- Medical Service - Locations: Terminal 4, Floor 0, Arrivals Hall (open 24 hours) • Terminal 4 Satellite, Floor 0, Boarding Area M • Terminal 2, Floor 0, Arrivals Hall.
- Mosque - Location: before security in Terminal 1, P2 • Terminal 4/P2.
- Pharmacy - There are 3 pharmacies. Locations: Terminal 1, P0 • Terminal 2, P2 • Terminal 4, P2.
- Showers - Showers are available in the Air Rooms [ see Airport Hotels above ]. Location: Terminal 4, Floor 1. Rate: 40.00 € includes a 30 minute shower and access to the VIP Lounge (Free WiFi and Free Breakfast or snacks).
The airport is open 24 hours.
The underground Metro Line 8 runs from all airport terminals to the Nuevos Ministerios station in central Madrid. Travel time to the city center should take approximately 12 to 15 minutes.
Several bus lines run from the airport to central Madrid, nearby locations and the rest of Spain. Estimated travel time to Atocha-Renfe is 40 minutes. Bus options include intercity buses, city buses, and long distance coaches.
Several area hotels provide airport transportation service as a courtesy to their guests. Here are a few hotels offering airport shuttle service: Axor Barajas Hotel • Axor Feria Hotel • Be Live City Airport Madrid Diana • Best Western Hotel Villa de Barajas • Clement Barajas Hotel • Hilton Madrid Airport • Hotel Nuevo Boston • Ibis Madrid Aeropuerto Barajas • Madrid Marriott Auditorium Hotel & Conference Center • Maydrit Hotel • Melia Barajas • NH Barajas • taCH Hotel • SHS Hotel Aeropuerto • TRYP Madrid Alameda Aeropuerto Hotel. You should contact each hotel directly for shuttle details, hours and rates (if applicable).
From Terminal T4, Line C1 of Renfe Cercanias connects travelers directly from the airport to key locations throughout Madrid. Travel time from the airport to the Chamartin is approximately 11 minutes. You can purchase tickets at the ticket counter or machines at the train stations.
A free bus service connects terminals T1, T2, T3, and T4, 24 hours a day.
Taxis can be found outside the arrivals area of all terminals. It is advised to only take rides in official taxis, which are white with a red stripe and the coat-of-arms of Madrid City Council on the doors.
The following car rental companies are available at Barajas Airport: Avis • Budget • Europcar • Hertz • Enterprise • Sixt. Locations: Car Rental counters are located in Terminal 1 (Floor 0) and Terminal 4 (Floor -1).
Last Updated: 26 April 2016
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airport's and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items mentioned in the guide, please email us at email@example.com.