Read more about this airport
Madrid Barajas Airport
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Madrid Barajas Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
Madrid Barajas best place to sleep is in the departure area, upstairs, about 20 people here right now between checkin point nr.153 and 130. No seats but with a coat on the floor and the backpack as a pillow is quite confi! And best thing, Free WiFi :)-Мичаи on Facebook
I got into habit of checking sleepinginairports.net before I go anywhere, but since Barajas is such a big airport (4 terminals, 500 gates) I assumed everything will be perfect. Oh, I was so wrong!
In Terminal 1 there are no seats (exactly 0), in Terminal 2 there are 5 benches: cold, metal, weird-seized (a bit big for 1 but not enough for 2).
The lady at the information desk, when I asked where all the facilities had gone, proudly announced that they were open 24 hours. I guess that was it...
My friend was sleeping on the floor and she was woken up by security guards. We still don't know what they wanted :/
There was announcement repeating every 20minutes or so in Spanish and English: 'Please help us protect you. Do not leave your baggage unattended' and the cleaner kept cleaning the same piece of floor for about 4 hours that I spent there.
Pros? In Terminal 1 there is an 24hour cafeteria with hard single seats and the airside has actual seats.
Have you been to Madrid Barajas Airport recently? Write a Review!
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
If you are an economy class traveller, you can enter these lounges at Madrid Barajas airport either by purchasing a day pass or through a membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details (ie. facilities, hours, pass and membership information):
- Amnios Lounge - Location: Terminal 4 Satellite, Airside, P2, non-Schengen flights. Showers are available ($). Hours: open 24 hours. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (€25+VAT) • Priority Pass.
- La Revoltosa - Location: Terminal 4, Airside, 1st Floor, Schengen flights. Hours: 5:00AM - 11:00PM. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (€25+VAT) • Priority Pass.
- Sala VIP Cibeles - Location: Terminal 1, Airside, P2, non-Schengen flights, between Gates B26 and 29. Hours: open 24 hours. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (€20.67) • Priority Pass.
- Sala Puerta de Alcala - Location: Terminal 2, Airside, P2, domestic and Schengen flights, near Gate D62. Hours: 5am - 11pm. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (€20.67) • Priority Pass.
- Sala Puerta del Sol - Location: Terminal 3, Airside, P2, domestic & Schengen flights, near Gate E69. Hours: 5:00AM - 11:00PM. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (€20.67) • Priority Pass.
- Business Centre - Location: Terminal 4, floor 2, landside. Hours: 8am - 10pm. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (€25.00).
Free WiFi is available at Madrid Barajas Airport for 15 minutes. After this limit, you can purchase additional time from €5.00 (30 minutes) - €15.00 (24 hours). Additionally, there are 99 Internet access points located throughout the Terminals. Some of these have printers and free mobile chargers.
If sleeping in the Madrid Barajas Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels inside and near the airport:
- Air Rooms - There are 22 rooms located inside Terminal 4 on Floor 1. Rooms can be booked for day use (3-6 hours) between the hours 10:00AM - 6:00PM or overnight. Showers are available. A shower kit consisting of a towel, gel and and slippers are provided.
- Hotel Husa Nuevo Boston - 3 minutes from airport. Free 24 hour airport shuttle.
- Axor Feria - 5 minutes from the Airport. Free Airport Shuttle
- Hilton Hotel - 10 minutes from the airport. Free airport shuttle
To find a cheap room, there is a list of hotels near Madrid Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - Available landside and airside in Terminals 1, 2 and 4.
- Baggage Trolleys - Available, but it is unknown whether they are free.
- Business Centre - Location: Terminal 4, P2. Hours: 8am-8pm
- Car Rentals - Avis • Europcar • Hertz • Enterprise • Sixt. Locations: Car Rental counters are located in Terminal 1 and 4
- Chapel - There are 3 locations: Terminal 1, P2 / Terminal 2, P1 / Terminal 4, P2.
- Children's Play Areas - There is a playground located in Terminal 2, Floor 1, Boarding Area D. Hours: 8:00AM - 8:00PM.
- Currency Exchange - There are 3 currency exchange companies at Barajas. A few of them have 24-hour locations: Exact Change (Terminal 1, Floor 0, Baggage Claim • Terminal 1, Floor 1, Boarding Areas C) • Global Exchange (Terminal 1, Floor 0, Baggage Claim )
- Food & Drinks - There are many food concessions available throughout the terminals. Below are the concessions that are open 24-hours:
»Terminal 1 - Maho (Landside, Floor 0) • Food Gallery (landside, floor 1)
»Terminal 4 - McDonalds (Landside, Floor 2) • McDonalds (Airside, Floor 1, Gate J) • Mahou (Landside, Floor 0) • Starbucks (Airside, Floor 1, Gate S)
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - There are two left luggage offices. Locations: Terminal 1, Floor 0, Landscaped Area in front of Hall 2 • Terminal 4, Floor 0, Arrivals Hall. Rates: from €6.00 (0-2 hours) to €10.00 (full day). Long term rates up to two weeks are available. Hours: open 24 hours
- Medical Service - Locations: Terminal 4, Floor 0, Arrivals Hall (open 24 hours) • Terminal 4 Satellite, Floor 0, Boarding Area M • Terminal 2, Floor 0, Arrivals Hall.
- Mosque - Location: before security in Terminal 1, P2 • Terminal 4/P2.
- Pharmacy - There are 3 pharmacies. Locations: Terminal 1, P0 • Terminal 2, P2 • Terminal 4, P2.
- Playground - Location: Terminal 2, P1, Boarding Area D
- Showers - Showers are available in the Air Rooms [ see Airport Hotels above ]. Location: Terminal 4, Floor 1. Rate: 40.00 € includes a 30 minute shower and access to the VIP Lounge (Free WiFi and Free Breakfast or snacks).
The airport is open 24 hours.
We Need Your Feedback!
The SleepingInAirports community depends on travellers, like you, to share their airport experiences through airport reviews and survey responses. If you had a good or bad experience at Madrid Barajas Airport, tell us about it!
- Complete the 2015 Airport Survey - Your responses to this short (and easy!) questionnaire will help us determine the Best and Worst Airports of 2015.
- Write a Review - Please take a few minutes to write your airport review. Whether you provided a quick tip or a detailed review, you will be helping other travellers in a similar situation. Leave a guest review OR register for an account.
Thank you for helping the Community!
Madrid Travel Resources
- Madrid Hotel Deals - compare rates, check availability and read reviews
Last Updated: 10 April 2015
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airport's and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you du ring your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items quoted in the guide, email me.