Madrid Barajas Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Madrid Barajas Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
Madrid Barajas best place to sleep is in the departure area, upstairs, about 20 people here right now between checkin point nr.153 and 130. No seats but with a coat on the floor and the backpack as a pillow is quite confi! And best thing, Free WiFi :)-Мичаи on Facebook
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, here is a quick run-down of what travellers have reported to us during their time at Madrid Barajas Airport.
What to Expect
- The airport has four terminals: T1, T2, T3, and T4. T4 is a very large, new, modern terminal and also has a satellite terminal, T4S. T1 houses low-cost carriers so it has fewer seats and facilities.
- The facilities and amenities are generally very good, but isn’t very comfortable for overnight sleepers.
- Airport staff are generally tolerant of overnight travellers trying to sleep, but security may wake you after 5am as security starts to open.
- T4 has some 24-hour eateries and cafes. Each terminal has vending machines. See Food & Drinks in the airport guide below.
- Free WiFi is available. See WiFi in the airport guide below.
Where to Sleep
- T1 is not comfortable for sleeping, with very little seating at all.
- T2, T3, and T4 have more space and seating areas, but it’s utilitarian and not very comfortable. Some benches don’t have armrests, so snag one when you see it.
- The layout doesn’t provide much privacy.
- The lights generally stay bright overnight, so bring an eye mask.
- The floor is tiled, so bring something to lie on for warmth.
- For uninterrupted sleep, there are rooms available in Terminal 4 and hotels near the airport. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
Good to Know
- Economy class travelers can buy a pass and relax in several airport lounges; showers are available in some. See Airport Lounges in the airport guide below for locations and rates.
For more information about the services and facilities available, scroll down to continue exploring our Madrid Barajas Airport Guide. Send us your airport tips to help us keep this information up to date.
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
If you are an economy class traveller, you can enter these lounges at Madrid Barajas airport either by purchasing a lounge pass or through a membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details (ie. facilities, hours, pass and membership information):
- Amnios Lounge - As of May 2016, this lounge is under renovation. Location: Terminal 4 Satellite, Airside, P2, non-Schengen flights. Showers are available ($). Hours: Open 24 Hours. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (€25+VAT).
- La Revoltosa - Location: Terminal 4, Airside, 1st Floor, Schengen flights. Hours: 5:00AM - 11:00PM. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (€26.50+VAT) • Priority Pass.
- Neptuno Lounge - Location: Satellite Terminal, Airside, Non-Schegen area, 2nd Floor. Showers are available. Hours: open 24 hours. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (€19.81) • Priority Pass.
- Plaza Mayor - Location: Terminal 4, Airside, 1st Floor. Hours: 5:00AM - 10:00PM. Lounge Access: Priority Pass.
- Sala VIP Cibeles - Location: Terminal 1, Airside, P2, non-Schengen flights, between Gates B26 and 29. Hours: open 24 hours. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (€19.81) • Priority Pass.
- Sala Puerta de Alcala - Location: Terminal 2, Airside, P2, domestic and Schengen flights, near Gate D62. Hours: 5:00AM - 11:00PM. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (€19.11) • Priority Pass.
- Sala Puerta del Sol - Location: Terminal 3, Airside, P2, domestic & Schengen flights, near Gate E69. Hours: 5:00AM - 11:00PM. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (€19.11) • Priority Pass.
- Business Centre - Location: Terminal 4, floor 2, landside. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (€25.00).
Free unlimited WiFi is available at Madrid Barajas Airport. Connect to the "kubiwireless" network. (SSID: Airport_Free_Wifi_AENA). Additionally, there are internet access points located throughout the Terminals. Some of these have printers and free mobile chargers.
If sleeping in Madrid Barajas Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels inside and near the airport. Most hotels are located near Terminals 1 and 2, so if you are flying in or out of Terminal 4 travel times will be longer.
- Air Rooms - There are 22 rooms located inside Terminal 4 on Floor 1 (landside). Rooms can be booked for day use (3-6 hours) between the hours 10:00AM - 6:00PM or overnight. Showers are available. A shower kit consisting of a towel, gel and and slippers are provided.
- Ibis Madrid Aeropuerto Barajas - Free airport shuttle.
- TRYP Madrid Alameda Aeropuerto Hotel - Free airport shuttle runs 24-hr all year round. There is a sign posted outside of each terminal that says “BUSES HOTEL”. This hotel shares an airport shuttle with Melia Barajas Hotel. Call 917 477 700 for airport pick-up on demand.
- Melia Barajas - Free airport shuttle runs 24-hr all year round. There is a sign posted outside of each terminal that says “BUSES HOTEL”. This hotel shares an airport shuttle with TRYP Madrid Alameda Aeropuerto Hotel. Call 917 477 700 for airport pick-up on demand.
- Clement Barajas Hotel - Free airport shuttle departs hourly on the hour and stops outside of Arrivals at Terminals 1, 2, and 4. This hotel shares a shuttle bus with taCH Hotel. Shuttle does not run from 1:00AM to 4:00AM.
- taCH Hotel - Free airport shuttle departs hourly on the hour and stops outside of Arrivals at Terminals 1, 2, and 4. This hotel shares a shuttle bus with Clement Barajas Hotel. Shuttle does not run from 1:00AM to 4:00AM.
- Best Western Hotel Villa de Barajas - Free airport shuttle from 6:00AM to Midnight. Call hotel directly upon arrival to request airport pick-up.
To find a cheap room, there is a list of hotels near Madrid Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - Available landside and airside in Terminals 1, 2 and 4.
- Baby Care Facilities - Changing table, microwave, cot, play area (for kids up to 6 years old), comfortable seating and more are available in the Breastfeeding Lounge. Locations: T2, airside, Boarding Area D, 1st Floor (Hours: 8:00AM - 8:00PM) • T4, airside, Boarding Area, 1st Floor (Hours: 8:00AM - 8:00PM. Strollers are available for use in the airport, free of charge, in all terminals. You can pick one up at one of these locations: T1, 1st Floor, Boarding Areas B or C • T2, 1st Floor, Boarding Area C • T4, 1st Floor, Boarding Area • T4S, 1st Floor, Boarding Area. Some luggage trolleys are retrofitted with infant carriers for babies up to 6 months. They are available for use at all terminals, free of charge.
- Business Centre - Location: Terminal 4, P2. Hours: 8:00AM - 8:00PM.
- Car Rentals - Yes, see our Airport Transportation section below.
- Children's Play Areas - There is a playground located in Terminal 2, airside, Boarding Area D, 1st Floor. Hours: 8:00AM - 8:00PM. Additionally, there are 18 other play areas located near the boarding gates in all terminals.
- Currency Exchange - Currency exchange offices throughout the airport operate with varying schedules. These are open 24 hours: Exact Change (T1, Baggage Reclaim Hall 1) • Global Exchange (T4, landside, Check-In, 2nd Floor - two offices) • Global Exchange (T4S, airside, Boarding Area, 1st Floor) • (T1, Baggage Reclaim Hall 1).
- Duty Free & Shopping - Duty-free shopping is available throughout all terminals, along with a wide variety of retail shops.
- Family Services - The airport offers these family-friendly services:
- There are 2 dedicated areas for breastfeeding that include cots for the little ones as well as play areas. Locations: Terminal 2, Floor 1, Boarding Area D and Terminal 4, Floor 1, Boarding area.
- There are 7 areas in Terminals, 1, 2 and 4 (including T4 Satellite) which provide free stroller service as well as a baggage trolleys with child seats, at the Boarding Areas, Floor 1.
- Food & Drinks - Food concessions throughout the airport operate with varying schedules. These options are open 24 hours:
- Terminal 1: Mahoudrid (T1, landside, Arrivals, Floor 0) • Starbucks (T1, airside, Departures, 1st Floor, Boarding Area B).
- Terminal 2: Espression Lavazza (T2, landside, Departures, 2nd Floor).
- Terminal 4: Eating Point (T4, airside, Departures, 1st Floor, Boarding Area J) • Mahoudrid (T4, landside, Arrivals, Floor 0) • McDonald’s (T4, airside, Departures, 1st Floor, Boarding Area J) • McDonald’s (T4, landside, Departures, 2nd Floor) • Starbucks (T4S, airside, Departures, 1st Floor, Boarding Area S).
- Vending machines located in all terminals on all floors, offering hot and cold beverages and an assortment of sandwiches and snacks.
- Information Desks - There is no shortage of information points available at the airport. Virtual hostesses can be found in every Terminal near check-in/boarding areas. In addition, Skycap Teams are available at 18 different locations throughout the Terminals, most of which are open 24 hours.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - Luggage can be stored at the Left Luggage Office at the following rates: €6 per bag/item for up to 2 hours, €10 per bag/item for up to 24 hours or per 24-hour period, €50 per bag/item per week (up to 2 weeks) and €30 per bag/item per week past 2 weeks. Rates are higher for oversized luggage. Locations: T1, Ground Floor, landscaped area in front of Hall 2 (serves T1, T2, and T3) • T4, Arrivals Hall, Ground Floor.
- Luggage Trolleys - Available. Fee: unknown.
- Luggage Wrapping - Secure Bag luggage wrapping service is available in the Check-In areas of T1 (1st floor), T2 (2nd floor), and T4 (2nd floor).
- Medical Service - Locations: T2, Arrivals Hall, Floor 0 (Hours: Open 24 hours) • T4, Arrivals Hall, Floor 0 (Hours: Open 24 hours) • T4S, airside, Boarding Area M, Ground Floor (Hours: 7:00AM - 11:00PM).
- Pharmacy - Farmacia has four locations: T1, landside, Departures, Floor 0 (Hours: 7:00AM - 11:00PM) • T2, landside, Departures, 2nd Floor (Hours: 7:00AM - 9:30PM) • T4, airside, Departures, 1st Floor (Hours: 7:00AM - 10:30PM) • T4, landside, Departures, 2nd Floor (Hours: 7:00AM - 11:00PM).
- Post Office - Location: T1, Arrivals Hall, Floor 0. Hours: 8:30AM - 2:30PM (Mon-Fri) 9:30AM - 1:00PM (Sat).
- Religious Spaces - Barajas airports has a few religious spaces:
- Nuestra Señora de Guadalupe Chapel - Mass at 11:00AM on Sundays and holidays. Location: T1, landside, 2nd Floor. Hours: 6:00AM - 10:30PM.
- Nuestra Señora de Loreto Chapel - Mass at 11:00AM (Mon, Wed, Thurs) and 7:00PM (Sat and eve of holidays). Location: T2, landside, 1st Floor. Hours: 6:00AM - 10:30PM.
- Chapel of Santiago - Mass at 11:00AM (Mon, Wed, Thurs) and 1:00PM (Sun and eve of holidays). Location: T4, landside, Departures, 2nd Floor. Hours: 6:00AM - 10:30PM.
- Mosque - Location: T1, landside, 2nd Floor • T4, landside, Departures, 2nd Floor.
- Oratory - Location: T1, landside, 2nd Floor • T4, landside, Departures, 2nd Floor. Hours: 6:00AM - 10:30PM.
- Showers - Showers are available in the Air Rooms [ see Airport Hotels above ]. Location: Terminal 4, Floor 1. Rate: 40.00 € includes a 30 minute shower and access to the VIP Lounge (Free WiFi and Free Breakfast or snacks).
The airport is open 24 hours.
The underground Metro Line 8 runs from all airport terminals to the Nuevos Ministerios station in central Madrid. Travel time to the city center should take approximately 12 to 15 minutes.
Several bus lines run from the airport to central Madrid, nearby locations and the rest of Spain. Estimated travel time to Atocha-Renfe is 40 minutes. Bus options include intercity buses, city buses, and long distance coaches.
Several area hotels provide airport transportation service as a courtesy to their guests. Here are a few hotels offering airport shuttle service: Axor Barajas Hotel • Axor Feria Hotel • Be Live City Airport Madrid Diana • Best Western Hotel Villa de Barajas • Clement Barajas Hotel • Hilton Madrid Airport • Hotel Nuevo Boston • Ibis Madrid Aeropuerto Barajas • Madrid Marriott Auditorium Hotel & Conference Center • Maydrit Hotel • Melia Barajas • NH Barajas • taCH Hotel • SHS Hotel Aeropuerto • TRYP Madrid Alameda Aeropuerto Hotel. You should contact each hotel directly for shuttle details, hours and rates (if applicable).
From Terminal T4, Line C1 of Renfe Cercanias connects travelers directly from the airport to key locations throughout Madrid. Travel time from the airport to the Chamartin is approximately 11 minutes. You can purchase tickets at the ticket counter or machines at the train stations.
A free bus service connects terminals T1, T2, T3, and T4, 24 hours a day.
Taxis can be found outside the arrivals area of all terminals. It is advised to only take rides in official taxis, which are white with a red stripe and the coat-of-arms of Madrid City Council on the doors.
The following car rental companies are available at Barajas Airport: Avis • Budget • Europcar • Hertz • Enterprise • Sixt. Locations: Car Rental counters are located in Terminal 1 (Floor 0) and Terminal 4 (Floor -1).
Last Updated: 13 October 2016
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items mentioned in the guide, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.