Newcastle Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Newcastle Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
Don't sleep near the bathroom. The door bangs and woke me up everytime someone needed to go. -Stef
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported back to us during their time at Newcastle International Airport.
What to Expect
- A spacious and modern single-terminal international airport, with clean facilities and a limited variety of shops and restaurants.
- Free WiFi is available. See Airport WiFi in the airport guide below.
Where to Sleep
- Comfortable chairs are available across from Starbucks. Have a sleep mask and earplugs or noise-cancelling headphones handy to block out those bright airport lights and loud noises. A travel blanket is also handy for staying warm while you sleep!
- For uninterrupted sleep, there are hotels near the airport. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
Good to Know
- Economy class passengers can pay to enter the airport’s first class lounge. See Airport Lounges in the airport guide below for locations and rates.
For more information about the services and facilities available, scroll down to continue exploring our Newcastle Airport Guide. Send us your airport tips to help us keep this information up to date.
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
If you are an economy class traveller, you can enter this lounge at Newcastle airport either by purchasing a lounge pass or through a membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details (ie. facilities, hours, pass and membership information):
- Aspire Lounge - Location: Airside, Level 2. Hours: 4:30AM - 8:00PM (Mon-Fri, Sun) • 4:30AM - 6:00PM (Sat). Lounge Access: Pay at the Door • Book Online • Book Online (£25.99)
Free WiFi is available at Newcastle Airport for 45 minutes. Connect to the "_NCLFreeWiFi" network. Additionally, computers with internet access are available for rent in the Departures Lounge (Airside).
If sleeping in Newcastle Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- DoubleTree by Hilton Newcastle International Airport - (5 minute walk from the airport) Adjacent to the airport. Day rooms are offered based on availability.
- Premier Inn Newcastle Airport Hotel - (5 minute walk from the airport) No airport shuttle.
- Britannia Hotel Newcastle Airport - (5 minute walk to the airport) No airport shuttle.
- Premier Inn Newcastle Airport South Hotel - (4 minutes from the airport) No airport shuttle.
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Newcastle Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
- ATM’s / Cash Machines - Yes available throughout the airport, as well Travelex has machines which dispense Euros and British Pounds.
- Baby Care Facilities - Four baby-change facilities are available, two landside and two airside.
- Baggage Porters - Baggage porter service is available at a cost of 12£ for up to 4 bags and 5£ for each additional suitcase. More information on the baggage porter desk in the arrivals hall.
- Car Rentals - Yes, see our Airport Transportation section below.
- Currency Exchange - Yes, Travelex operates locations both Landside and Airside. Hours: Vary depending on the day of the week but open as early as 3:30AM and close as late as 9:00PM.
- Duty Free & Shopping - Duty Free is available at the airport as well as a small selection of shops such as WH Smith, etc. Hours: vary but most operate with flight schedules.
- Fast Track Service - As a premium service, customers with Fast Track security passes will be given priority service to ensure that waiting is kept to a minimum. Cost: 3.00 BP, book online
- Food & Drinks - There are two food / beverage concessions open 24 hours.
- Landside: Gregg's
- Airside: nothing open 24 hours, but there are several food options to choose from.
- Games Room - Namco Games offers dance mats, slot machines, air hockey table, soccer machine and more. The Flying Hippo restaurant, located airside, has a child-friendly area.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - Location: Landside beside WH Smith. Hours: 24 hours a day. Fee: £8 per piece per 24 hours.
- Luggage Wrapping - Yes. Cost: 5£ for standard size suitcase; 7.5£ for large suitcase.
- Pharmacy - Boots is available according to flight schedules. You can also pre-order baby food and pick it up at the location after security.
- Prayer Room - Hours: open 24 hours. Location: Level 2, main terminal building
- Showers - not available
- Smoking - Smoking is permitted in designated areas outside of the terminal. Once you are airside you can smoke in a designated area outside – accessed via The Beer House (you must be a patron).
The airport is open 24 hours.
Newcastle Airport is accessed by the following bus lines: lines X77, X78 and X79 (Newcastle (Eldon Square) - Ponteland), line 353 (Kingston Park - Newcastle International Airport - Killingworth - Freeman Hospital) and line 74 (Hexham - Oakwood - Great Whittington - Matfen - Stamfordham - Darras Hall - Ponteland - Newcastle Airport - Kingston Park - Cowgate – Newcastle).
The following car rental agencies are available onsite, on the ground floor opposite Domestic Arrivals: Avis, Budget, Europcar, Hertz, Interrent, Enterprise, Alamo and National.
Tyne and Wear Metro light rail system links the airport to stops at Haymarket, Monument and Central Station in Newcastle city center, and a metro stop in Sunderland. Trains depart every 12 minutes between 5:44AM - 11:58PM, with a one-way journey time of 25 minutes between the airport and Newcastle city center. Connections to long-distance trains on the North East rail network are available from Central Station in Newcastle.
Airport Taxis is the official taxi service provider for Newcastle Airport, and the only taxi company authorized to pick up and drop off passengers directly outside of the airport terminal. Taxis can be booked at the service desk located near the Domestic Arrivals area, or at the taxi rank in front of the terminal. Cash and credit cards are accepted.
Last Updated: 25 April 2017
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items mentioned in the guide, please email us at email@example.com.