Ponta Delgada Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Ponta Delgada Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the name of a hotel near the airport in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
Find your bench and enjoy quiet but small airport
- a guest reviewer
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported back to us during their time at João Paulo II Ponta Delgada Airport.
What to Expect
- A tiny single-terminal international airport with clean, modern facilities and a limited variety of shops and restaurants.
- Free WiFi is available. See WiFi in the airport guide below.
Where to Sleep
- A restricted section of the landside area is left open at night. Nearby restrooms, a few seats and the airport WiFi are available throughout the night, but all shops, food concessions and services are closed.
- Lights are turned off at night.
- Have a sleeping bag or travel mat to set up on empty floor space, in case you find the airport’s seats uncomfortable!
- For uninterrupted sleep, there are hotels near the airport. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
For more information about the services and facilities available, scroll down to continue exploring our Ponta Delgada Airport Guide.
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
- SATA Lounge - Location: Airside. Hours: 6:00AM - 10:00PM (Daily).
Unlimited free WiFi is available at Ponta Delgada Airport. Connect to the "VINCI Airports wifi" network.
If sleeping in Ponta Delgada Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Vintage Place Azorean Guest House - (6 min from the airport) No airport shuttle
- San Miguel Park Hotel - (8 min from the airport) No airport shuttle
- Vila Nova Hotel- Less than 4 miles from the airport. No airport shuttle
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Ponta Delgada Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
- ATMs - A bank and ATM are located on level 0, across from the rent a car desks. Other ATMs are located near the check-in desks and in the parking area.
- Baby Care Facilities - Baby change facilities are available both Landside and Airside.
- Car Rentals - Yes, see our Airport Transportation section below.
- Disabled Services – The airport works in partnership with MyWay to provide personalized support for passengers with reduced mobility. Services include lifts, escalators, moving walkways, signage and professional support for those who book at least 48 hours in advance.
- Duty Free & Shopping - A number of duty-free and other shops are located throughout the airside and landside areas of the airport. They sell souvenirs, perfume, travel accessories, jewelry, European soccer accessories and more. Most open between 6:00AM and 7:00AM and close between 9:00PM and 10:00PM daily.
- Food & Drink - At the time of writing, no 24-hour options are available. A large restaurant is located landside on the first floor, with smaller cafes and bars located landside and airside on Level 0. Most eateries open around 6:00AM and close by 9:30PM.
- Information desk – Located on Level 0, beside left luggage.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - Yes, available. Location, left of main hall where the Tourist Office is. Rates and hours are not known.
- Mailbox – Located on Level 0 between the ATM and bank.
- Smoking Area – Located outside the arrivals hall, near parking.
The airport is open from 5:00AM - 12:00AM. Sleeping in the airport overnight is not possible.
Car rentals are available at the airport. The following have desks on Level 0 near the exit doors: Autatlantis • Ilha Verde • Hertz.
Tourism UTC operates a shuttle service that runs between the main hotels.
Taxis have a designated pick up area outside the arrivals door.
Last Updated: 24 May 2016
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items mentioned in the guide, please email us at email@example.com.