Shannon Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Shannon Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
I read on this website that the 3rd floor (panorama) had the most comfortable seats, so I went there and began sleeping at 23h. But at 23h15 the security told me (nicely) to go away.
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported back to us during their time at Shannon Airport.
What to Expect
- A small, but modern single-terminal airport with friendly airport staff and a few shops and restaurants, including 24-hour dining!
- Free WiFi is available. See WiFi in the airport guide below.
- Several reviewers described the frigid temperature inside of the terminal, making it almost impossible to relax or sleep. Have a travel blanket, sleeping bag or sweater for warmth!
Where to Sleep
- On the 1st level, opposite the departure gates, is an open area with cushioned seats near a restaurant.
- The benches between the elevators provide a warmer sleeping place than other areas of the terminal, but noise from the elevators can be bothersome. Have earplugs or noise-cancelling headphones handy to block out any airport noises.
- For uninterrupted sleep, there are hotels near the airport. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
Good to Know
- Economy class passengers can pay to enter one of the airport’s first class lounges. See Airport Lounges in the airport guide below for locations and rates.
For more information about the services and facilities available, scroll down to continue exploring our Shannon Airport Guide. Send us your airport tips to help us keep this information up to date.
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
- Rineanna Lounge - Location: Airside. Transatlantic passenger only. Showers are available. Hours: 6:00AM - 6:45PM (Sun - Fri) • 6:00AM - 5:30PM (Sat). Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (€25.00)
- Burren Suite - Location: Airside, adjacent to Gate 6. Non-Transatlantic passengers only. Showers are available. Hours: 6:00AM - 1:00PM. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (€25.00)
Free WiFi is available at Shannon Airport. If you do not have a mobile device, coin operated Internet terminals are also available in the WH Smithbook store on the arrivals level. Hours: open 24 hours
If sleeping in Shannon Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Park Inn by Radisson Shannon Airport - (2 minute walk from the airport) Located opposite the main terminal. Day rooms are offered.
- Carrygerry Country House - (10 minutes from the airport) No airport shuttle
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Shannon Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
- Amusement Corner - Located Landside by the Taxi Desk.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - Located in the Arrivals and Departures concourses.
- Baby Care Facilities - Baby change facilities are available at the airport.
- Car Rentals - Yes, see our Airport Transportation section below.
- Children's Play Area - A play area for children is available on the first floor, airside, near gate 7.
- Currency Exchange - There are three bureau de change facilities at the Shannon airport. They are located in the Check-In area (5:00AM - 8:00PM), Customs Hall, airside (6:00AM - 2:00PM) and in the Departures Lounge, airside (5:00AM - 4:00PM).
- Duty Free & Shopping - Duty Free is available and is open 24 hours a day. There are also two WH Smith stores, the one in the Departures is open 24 hours a day.
- Food & Drinks - There is a 24-hour restaurant located airside in the departures lounge (Sheridan Food Pub).
- Information Desk - Yes, available near the front entrance.
- Luggage Storage / Lockers - Location: Link Corridor, Terminal Building. Hours: 6:00AM - 11:00PM. Rates: from €3.00 per day.
- Post Office - A mailbox is located next to the WH Smith bookstore in the arrivals area.
- Prayer Room - Location: unknown. Roman Catholic Mass is held on Sundays at 8:45AM.
- Showers - Available in the Rineanne Suite. [ see Airport Lounges above ]
The airport is open 24 hours.
Bus Eireann offers service between Shannon Airport and major Irish cities. JJ Kavanagh & Sons links Shannon Airport to Limerick and Dublin Airport.
The following car rental agencies are available onsite: Avis/Budget, Enterprise, Europcar, Hertz and Thrifty.
For taxi service from the airport, visit the airport cab desk in the Arrivals Hall. Estimated one way fare to/from Shannon city center is €10.
Last Updated: 28 April 2017
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items mentioned in the guide, please email us at email@example.com.