Tromsø Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Tromso Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
the head of security was pointing out a patch of grass in the middle of the airport car park where we were welcome to pitch our tent! -Sal
photo credit: Cccc3333 / Wikimedia
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported back to us during their time at Tromsø Airport.
What to Expect
- A small international airport with two terminals: Terminals A and B. Shopping and dining options are limited and close at night. Have snacks and beverages handy for later, if you plan to stay the night.
- Many travelers who spend the night at this airport choose to do so, due to the expensive hotels in town, and to catch an early flight.
- Free WiFi is available. See WiFi in the airport guide below.
Where to Sleep
- After security checkpoints close for the night, passengers are restricted to landside only. Passengers sleeping airside will be required to go back to landside until security reopens, and will need to clear security again to re-enter.
- Near the cafe in the baggage claim area, you will find three comfortable couches. Throughout the airport, there are rows of seats without armrests, perfect for laying across, but have a sleeping bag handy to keep warm if you are staying during the winter. A sleeping bag or travel mat will also come in handy for added comfort if you choose to sleep on the floor. Either way, airport security will not bother you if you don’t make a mess or cause any trouble.
- Flights arrive until around 1:00AM, and start departing between 4:00AM - 5:00AM, leaving little quiet time without foot traffic. Have earplugs or noise-cancelling headphones and a sleep mask handy to block out the lights and noise!
- For uninterrupted sleep, there are hotels near the airport. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
Good to Know
- If you plan to spend the night here, make sure to show up before the terminal closes for the night. Upon closing, all doors are locked, and passengers will not be let in or out.
For more information about the services and facilities available, scroll down to continue exploring our Tromsø Airport Guide. Send us your airport tips to help us keep this information up to date.
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
As of this update, there are no pay-per-use or airline lounges available at this airport.
Free WiFi is available at Tromsø Airport for two hours. Connect to the "AIRPORT" network and Select "GRATIS WiFi". After your two hour limit, you can log on again.
If sleeping in Tromsø Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Scandic Grand Tromsø - (3 min drive from airport) No airport shuttle.
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Tromsø Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - There is a cash machine on the ground floor (landside) and another past security (airside). You can withdraw Norwegian kroner, Euro and GBP.
- Car Rentals - Yes, see our Airport Transportation section below.
- Duty Free & Shopping - The airport offers Duty Free as well as four other shops (mostly selling magazines, books, etc.).
- Food & Drinks - At the time of this update, there are no 24-hour food concessions available. The airport offers five food outlets, Cafe Ritazza has the longest hours from 5:30AM - 8:00PM.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - Luggage lockers can be found to the left of the baggage conveyor belts in the Arrival Hall. Rates: Small lockers (NOK 30 per 24 hours) and Large lockers (NOK 50 per 24 hours). Storage limit is 30 days. Key Storage is available at Point Kiosk for NOK 30.
- Showers - Not available
Officially: 8:00AM - 8:00PM (Weekdays) • Closed (Saturday) • 3:00PM - 10:00PMpm (Sunday), but recent reviews indicate that if you are inside the terminal you will be allowed to stay.
The airport is served by three bus routes: Buses 40 and 42, and the Airport Express Coach (Flybussen). Buses 40 and 42 are public buses that run a local route, stopping at the airport enroute. Total travel time is 15 - 20 minutes in one direction, and tickets are available at the Point kiosk in Arrivals Hall. The Airport Express Coach is a slightly faster way to travel between the airport and central Tromsø, with a total trip time of less than 15 minutes in one direction. Coaches travel exclusively between the airport, select hotels in downtown Tromsø, the University of Tromsø and the University Hospital. For fares and schedules, visit the Flybussen website.
Car rental services are available on the 1st floor of the airport, near Check-In. The following agencies are located onsite: Avis, Budget, Europcar, Hertz, Rent a Wreck and Sixt.
Taxis are readily available outside of Arrivals. Total trip time between the airport and central Tromsø is about 10 minutes in one direction.
Last Updated: 01 June 2016
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items mentioned in the guide, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.