Next time you're stuck at the airport, try to remember some of our reader's airport adventures (and misadventures) and you may soon realize that your own situation is not so bad after all.
Soon, we will have an Airport Adventures "Hall of Fame", so be sure to vote on the adventures with a or
Warning: a few of the adventures in this section contain some "colourful" language and are situations that are not intended for the Disney Channel audience or people without a sense of humour. Proceed at your own discretion.
last updated: 25 September 2013
- Cochin - would you ever sleep in an airport bathroom...in India?
- Istanbul - a couple plans to sleep in the airport for night, but ends up staying a week.
- Addis Ababa Airport - an airport that provide visitors with personal security guards
- Adelaide Airport - is the gate area really the most appropriate place for personal grooming?
- Agadir Airport - the most embarrassing thing to happen when you REALLY need to go to the bathroom.
- Aitu Airport - limited services in a small airport.
- Amsterdam Schiphol Airport - ever had sex in the airport?
- Amsterdam Schiphol Airport - sometimes its the interesting people that make for great adventures
- Ashgabat Airport - something you don't want to see as your bag is on the carousel
- Athens El Venizelos Airport - where is the best place to shave your legs in the terminal?
- Atlanta Hartsfield Jackson Airport - finding a use for Post-It notes in the airport
- Bergamo Airport - travellers protesting security rudeness
- Cairo Airport - unforgettable bathroom experiences.
- Calgary Airport - what would you do if you saw someone bleeding in their sleep?
- Caracas Airport - just give the guy your watch!
- Cardiff Airport - has anyone found a bag of dirty laundry?
- Cardiff Airport - when you are homeless for the night, it only makes sense to befriend other homeless people.....right?
- Chennai Airport - jolly good times.
- Chicago Midway Airport - camping in the airport.
- Chisinau Airport - according to this traveller all you need is money to bribe your way to the gate on time.
- Christchurch Airport - a child's first memory of getting stuck in the airport
- Dakar Airport - sleeping in a taxi at your gate.
- Dallas-Fort Worth Airport - Here's a heart-warming tale of nice security for once!
- Dallas-Fort Worth Airport - a touching story of someone who helps a stranger.
- Detroit Airport - "has the air traffic control forgetton about us?"
- Dhaka Airport - the ashtrays are not used for what you think they should be used for.
- Dhaka Airport - escaping third world airports.
- Dnipropetrovsk Airport - barter away some of your unwanted possessions when asked for bribes
- Douala Airport - One word for a modest experienced traveller.... terrifying.
- Frankfurt International - only a few people have ever reported being robbed in the middle of the night
- Geneva Airport - don't go wondering around outside after midnight
- Glasgow Prestwick - security was a little relaxed here back pre-9/11
- Glasgow - always check which airport you are departing from
- Goteburg Airport - who better to give advice on where to sleep than the local homeless.
- Guangzhou - when the conveyor belt stops working, how else are you suppose to get your luggage?
- Hammerfest Airport - looking for a place to stay in the middle of the night after your airport closes.
- Havana - scary medical emergency and a useless boyfriend. I hope she dumped his ass!
- Helsinki Vantaa Airport - need a place to stay for 9 days? Try your local airport....
- Islamabad Airport - this man is none to pleased about the airport's food quality.
- Jakarta Airport - one family's adventure in the Jakarta airport
- Kabul Airport - nowhere to sleep during a war.
- Khartoum Airport - warm greetings from the armed welcoming committee.
- Kingman Airport - why not go for a leisurely stroll on the tarmac?
- Kolkata Airport - GPS devices will be helpful if you take the public bus to the airport.
- Kiev Airport - the staff tell you to clean the bathroom yourself if you don't like it.
- Kuala Lumpur Airport - remember to call ahead and check the fumigation schedule before your stay.
- Kuwait City Airport - always remember to flush
- Lagos Airport - one word.....SCARY
- London Heathrow Airport - floor sweepers can be a hazard to an airport sleeper's life.
- London Heathrow Airport - dealing with other travellers who take over your sleeping spot
- London Heathrow Airport - there are times when you will want to hear the announcements...
- London Stansted - Gross! Reader discretion advised. You've been warned.
- Los Angeles Airport - be the envy of your fellow airport sleepers and go to the airport prepared for the stay!
- Los Angeles Airport - waking up to a carrasing touch....of someone you probably don't want to know
- Los Angeles Airport - who let the cats out?
- Luxembourg Airport - two solo female travellers finding companionship during their homeless situation at the airport
- Lviv Airport - donating to the baggage inspector's favourite charity
- Manila NAIA - a 2000 word essay
- Milan Malpensa - sleeping in airports with a child
- Minneapolis Airport - the dangers of sleeping on seats with armrests.
- Moscow Sheremetyevo - is arriving at Sheremetyevo ever easy?
- Mumbai Airport - Remember this when you meet a Notip employee.
- Mumbai Airport - even Mother Theresa slept in the airport.
- Munich Airport - Don't mess with this traveller!
- Nadi Airport - now here is an airport with an interesting welcoming committee
- New York City LaGuardia Airport - attempted robbery and mice sightings. Fun night!
- Nashville Airport - imagine being "too dirty" to board a flight
- Nauru Airport - What happens when travellers find unlocked air-conditioned rooms at the airport?
- Noumea Airport - I was doing some site updates and found this classic airport sleepover adventure.
- Paris Charles de Gaulle Airport - try not to arrive in Paris on a windy day!
- Paris Charles de Gaulle Airport - a reason you may want to avoid sleeping on the floor.
- Paris CDG Airport - "sure I'll let you know what I think about this airport!"
- Paris CDG Airport - even the Parisians think their airport sucks.
- Port au Prince - a lot of patience is required to use this airport.
- Port Harcourt Airport - what to do when your tourist souvenirs are be considered "African Artifacts".
- Port Moresby Airport - how could someone go to the bathroom here?
- Prague Airport - I can't imagine this really happened.
- Recife Airport - don't leave the airport grounds at night
- Sanaa Airport - not a great endorsement of the airport or the country
- San Francisco Airport - Befriend the cleaning crew! They have the tools to make your stay more comfortable
- San Francisco Airport - an interesting description of the carpets.
- San Francisco Airport - you're never too old to sleep in the airport
- Sao Paolo Guarulhos - beware the frequent gate changes
- São Paulo Congonhas Airport - asking airline staff to translate your situation to security.
- Tashkent Airport - apparently this is the best international airport in the ex-Soviet system. Read through to his second visit...
- Wichita Airport - "has anyone seen my shoe?"
- Winnipeg Airport - go to your local airport and have a sleepover!
Train Station Adventures
- Calais Train Station - check your bags thoroughly before giving speeches
- Helsinki Train Station - always be prepared with warm clothes!
- Milan Train Station - if you're "lucky" a homeless person may offer you a massage
- Budapest Train Station - definitely not recommended
- Cape Town Train Station - you may want to reconsider hanging out at this place.
- Lahore Train Station - constipation inspiring toilets.
- Spanish Trains - making your bed in unusual places on the train.
- Florence Train Station - not a great place to try to sleep.
- New Delhi to Varanasi Overnight Train - you may want to upgrade to first class.
- Warsaw Train Station - don't do it!
- Bucharest Train Station - there must be better places than this.
Receive the 2014 Best & Worst Airports Survey and Results