Muscat Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Muscat Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
The only place that was comfortable was Costa Coffee which had some softer chairs and two sofas - my tip would be to get there fast and bag a sofa. We weren't quick enough the first time round! - Gillycat
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported back to us during their time at Muscat International Airport.
What to Expect
- A single-terminal international airport. The terminal building is soon to be replaced by a new one, currently under construction and due to be completed by the end of 2016.
- Facilities and seating are minimal, both airside and landside. Hopefully this will change when the new terminal opens.
- Flight delays and lost luggage are common at this airport.
- Free WiFi is available. See WiFi in the airport guide below.
Where to Sleep
- There are approx. 20 comfortable leather chairs than lean back at Costa Coffee.
- For uninterrupted sleep, there are hotels near the airport. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
Good to Know
- Economy class passengers can pay to enter one of the airport’s first class lounges. See Airport Lounges in the airport guide below for locations and rates.
For more information about the services and facilities available, scroll down to continue exploring our Muscat Airport Guide. Send us your airport tips to help us keep this information up to date.
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
If you are an economy class traveller, you can enter these lounges at Muscat airport either by purchasing a lounge pass or through a membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details (ie. facilities, hours, pass and membership information):
- Plaza Premium Lounge (International Departures) - Location: International Departures, Airside, opposite Gates 1-10. Showers are available. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (OMR 11 -16) • Book Online (£25.00 - up to 3 hours or £29 - up to 6 hours) • Priority Pass
- Plaza Premium Lounge (International Arrivals) - Location: International Arrivals, before Immigration and adjacent to the Visa Collection counter. Showers and nap rooms are available ($). Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (OMR11 - 16) • Book Online (£22.00) • Priority Pass
- Majan Lounge - Location: International Departures Terminal, Airside, Ground Floor. Showers are available. Hours: open 24 hours. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (OMR 12.00) • Book Online (£20.00) • Priority Pass
Free WiFi is available at Muscat Airport. You will need to provide your mobile phone number for access.
If sleeping in Muscat Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Golden Tulip Seeb - (5 min from the airport) Airport shuttle service is available.
- Holiday Inn Muscat Al Seeb - (8 min from the airport) Free airport pick-up for executive room guests only.
Several hotels and resorts have information desks onsite in the Arrivals Hall: Al Nahda Resort & Spa ▪ Al Sawadi Beach Resort ▪ Barr Al Jissah Resort & Spa ▪ Intercontinental Hotels Group.
To find a cheap room, there is a list of hotels near Muscat Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - There are 5 ATMs located landside and airside. Some machines dispense for foreign currencies.
- Baggage Trolleys - available free of charge. If you require a porter, the rate is RO1.500.
- Car Rentals - Yes, see our Airport Transportation section below.
- Children's Play Area - Location: Airside, Departures Hall, after passport control. There is also a children’s play area available to members and guests of the Oman Air Business Class lounge.
- Currency Exchange - Travelex has four 24-hour locations, located in Arrivals and Departures. Al-Jadeed Foreign Exchange has two 24-hour locations in the Departures Area. Several ATMs in the airport offer foreign currency cash withdrawal.
- Duty Free & Shopping - Duty Free is available (5 locations) as well as a small selection of other shops.
- Food & Drinks - At the time of this update it is not known if there are any 24 hour food concessions available. Food options available include:
- Arrivals: Costa Coffee ▪ Food Court (Automatic Restaurant, Coffee & More, Curry Kitchen and idli.com)
- Departures: Costa Coffee (landside and airside) ▪ DQ Grill & Chill (airside) ▪ Irish House (airside) ▪ Food Court (airside - Automatic Restaurant, Curry Kitchen and idli.com) ▪ Subway (airside)
- Luggage Trolleys - Available free of charge. If you require a porter, the rate is RO1.500.
- Luggage Wrapping - Fast luggage wrapping service, available for a fee. Location: Landside, Departures Hall, before Check-In
- Medical Care - A doctor, two nurses and an ambulance, as well as free medical care and medicines, are available in the airport medical clinic for all departing and arriving passengers. Location: Arrivals Hall, before Immigration Hours: Open 24 hours.
- Mobile Phones - Nawras and Oman Mobile have kiosks onsite in the Arrivals Hall.
- Mosque / Prayer Room - Ablution area, female prayer room, and restroom are available in the airport mosque. Location: Landside, Arrivals Hall, near the terminal exit door. A prayer room is available airside, with separate facilities for male and female passengers. Location: Airside, Departures Hall, after Immigration, near the Duty Free area on the 1st floor.
- Showers - available in both Plaza Premium Lounges. [ see Airport Lounges above ]
- Smoking Room - Location: Airside
- Tourist Information Desk - Tourist information, including leaflets, brochures and maps. Location: Baggage Claim.
The airport is open 24 hours.
There is a bus stop on Sultan Qaboos Highway, a short walking distance from the airport terminal building.
Car rental service is available at the airport. Several agencies have kiosks onsite in the Arrivals Hall.
Some local hotels provide airport shuttle service. Contact your hotel directly for shuttle information and availability. The following hotels offer airport shuttle service: The Chedi Muscat • Eastin Residences Muscat • Majan Continental Hotel • Remas Hotel Suites.
Oman Air Chauffeur Service
Door-to-door private airport transfers are available for first and business class passengers on Oman Air. Arrangements can be made through a travel agent or Oman Air customer service.
Taxis are readily available at the airport, and can be booked online, by phone, or booked and prepaid at the Muscat International Airport Taxi Counter, located outside of Arrivals. If hiring a taxi privately, agree on a fare beforehand.
Last Updated: 05 September 2016
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items mentioned in the guide, please email us at email@example.com.