In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Muscat Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
The only place that was comfortable was Costa Coffee which had some softer chairs and two sofas - my tip would be to get there fast and bag a sofa. We weren't quick enough the first time round! - Gillycat
The Muscat Airport isn't ideal for sleeping. In the pre-terminal area, there are few seats and most of them are exposed and leave little privacy. There are a few areas that are tucked away from the major crowds and here you can catch a little rest. The one downside is that they're located close to the foreign worker processing area and it can get a bit loud. If you're awake though, it's interesting people watching.
There are a few restaurants in the airport, as well as a coffee shop and a book store. I was so tired that I fell asleep in one of the booths at the restaurant for at least two hours. I felt very bad for this, but the staff were very nice and didn't seem to mind. Probably because it was 4 am and I looked exhausted.
Have you been to Muscat Airport recently? Tell us about it!
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
If you are an economy class traveller, you can enter these lounges at Muscat airport either by purchasing a day pass or through a membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details (ie. facilities, hours, pass and membership information):
- Plaza Premium International Departures Lounge - Location: Airside, opposite Gates 1-10. Showers are available. Hours: 24 hours. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (RO10) • Book Online (£25.00) • Priority Pass.
- Plaza Premium International Arrivals Lounge - Location: Landside. Showers and nap rooms are available. Hours: open 24 hours. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (RO15) • Book Online (£25.00) • Priority Pass.
- Oman Air Premium Class Lounge - Location: Airside
Free WiFi is available at Muscat Airport. You will need to provide your mobile phone number for access.
If sleeping in the Muscat Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport....
- Golden Tulip Seeb (2.1km) 5 minutes from the airport. Airport shuttle available.
- The Chedi Muscat (11.7km) 15 minutes from the airport.
To find a cheap room, there is a list of hotels near Muscat Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - There are 5 ATMs located landside and airside. Some machines dispense for foreign currencies.
- Luggage Trolleys - available free of charge.
- Children's Play Area - Location: Airside
- Currency Exchange - There are Travelex Foreign Exchange counters located in the Arrivals Hall (airside and landside).
- Food & Drinks - At the time of this update it is not known if there are any 24 hour food concessions available.
»Landside: Coffee & More • idili • Curry Kitchen • Automatic • Costa Coffee
»Airside: Costa Coffee • Irish House • idili • Curry Kitchen • Automatic • Costa Coffee • DQ Grill & Chill • Subway
- Information Desk - Information not available
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - Information not available
- Mosque / Prayer Room - A mosque is available in the Arrivals area. There is a separate prayer room for male and female passengers available airside in the departures area near the duty free section on the first floor.
- Showers - available in both Plaza Premium Lounges
- Smoking Room - Location: Airside
Open 24 hours
Airport Transportation: Getting To/From The Airport
- Car Rentals - AST • Budget • Eurocar • Sixt • Thrifty • 4x4. Locations: Landside, Arrivals Hall
- Public Transportation
- Buses - Public buses stop on the Sultan Qaboos Highway outside of the Muscat International Airport complex.
- Taxis - A taxi kiosk is located to the right of the departures gate. Prices are fixed. Pay at the kiosk and give the taxi drive the receipt.
If you have questions about this airport that are not answered here or in the airport reviews, post a question on our Facebook Page. If you post a question, remember to mention the airport or nobody will understand what you are asking about.
The SleepingInAirports community depends on travellers, like you, to share their airport experiences through airport reviews and survey responses. If you had a good or bad experience at Muscat Airport, tell us about it!
- Complete the 2015 Airport Survey - Your responses to this short (and easy!) questionnaire will help us determine the Best and Worst Airports of 2015.
- Submit your Airport Review - Register to submit your airport review or simply email your annonymous review to me and I will add it to the database.
Thank you for helping the Community!
Last Updated: 17 February 2014
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airport's and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you du ring your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items quoted in the guide, email me.
Best and Worst Airports of 2015