Muscat Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Muscat Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
The only place that was comfortable was Costa Coffee which had some softer chairs and two sofas - my tip would be to get there fast and bag a sofa. We weren't quick enough the first time round! - Gillycat
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported back to us during their time at Muscat International Airport.
What to Expect
- A single-terminal international airport. The terminal building is soon to be replaced by a new one, currently under construction and due to be completed by the end of 2016.
- Facilities and seating are minimal, both airside and landside. Hopefully this will change when the new terminal opens.
- Flight delays and lost luggage are common at this airport.
- Free WiFi is available. See WiFi in the airport guide below.
Where to Sleep
- As of July 2016, we did not have any reviews from travellers who attempted to sleep in this airport. Write a Review to help future travellers!
- For uninterrupted sleep, there are hotels near the airport. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
Good to Know
- Economy class passengers can pay to enter one of the airport’s first class lounges. See Airport Lounges in the airport guide below for locations and rates.
For more information about the services and facilities available, scroll down to continue exploring our Muscat Airport Guide.
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
If you are an economy class traveller, you can enter these lounges at Muscat airport either by purchasing a lounge pass or through a membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details (ie. facilities, hours, pass and membership information):
- Plaza Premium Lounge (International Departures) - Location: International Departures, Airside, opposite Gates 1-10. Showers are available. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (RO10 - 15) • Book Online (£25.00 - up to 3 hours or £29 - up to 6 hours).
- Plaza Premium Lounge (International Arrivals) - Location: International Arrivals, before Immigration and adjacent to the Visa Collection counter. Showers and nap rooms are available ($). Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (RO15) • Book Online (£22.00).
- Majan Lounge - Location: International Departures Terminal, Airside, Ground Floor. Showers are available. Hours: open 24 hours. Lounge Access: Book Online (£20.00).
Free WiFi is available at Muscat Airport. You will need to provide your mobile phone number for access.
If sleeping in Muscat Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Golden Tulip Seeb - (5 min from the airport) Airport shuttle service is available.
- Holiday Inn Muscat Al Seeb - (8 min from the airport) Free airport pick-up for executive room guests only.
To find a cheap room, there is a list of hotels near Muscat Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - There are 5 ATMs located landside and airside. Some machines dispense for foreign currencies.
- Baggage Trolleys - available free of charge. If you require a porter, the rate is RO1.500.
- Children's Play Area - Location: Airside
- Currency Exchange - There are Travelex Foreign Exchange and Jadded Foreign Exchange counters located both airside and landside. Hours: open 24 hours.
- Duty Free & Shopping - Duty Free is available (5 locations) as well as a small selection of other shops.
- Food & Drinks - At the time of this update it is not known if there are any 24 hour food concessions available.
- Landside: Coffee & More • idili • Curry Kitchen • Automatic • Costa Coffee
- Airside: Costa Coffee • Irish House • idili • Curry Kitchen • Automatic • Costa Coffee • DQ Grill & Chill • Subway
- Luggage Trolleys - Available free of charge. If you require a porter, the rate is RO1.500.
- Medical Care - First aid and emergency medical attention is provided at the airport's medical clinic. Location: Arrivals Terminal, before immigration. Hours: open 24 hours.
- Mosque / Prayer Room - A mosque is available in the Arrivals area. There is a separate prayer room for male and female passengers available airside in the departures area near the duty free section on the first floor.
- Showers - available in both Plaza Premium Lounges
- Smoking Room - Location: Airside
The airport is open 24 hours.
There is a bus stop on Sultan Qaboos Highway, a short walking distance from the airport terminal building.
Car rental service is available at the airport.
Some local hotels provide airport shuttle service. Contact your hotel directly for shuttle information and availability. The following hotels offer airport shuttle service: The Chedi Muscat • Eastin Residences Muscat • Majan Continental Hotel • Remas Hotel Suites.
Oman Air Chauffeur Service
Door-to-door private airport transfers are available for first and business class passengers on Oman Air. Arrangements can be made through a travel agent or Oman Air customer service.
Taxis are readily available at the airport, and can be booked online, by phone, or booked and prepaid at the Muscat International Airport Taxi Counter, located outside of Arrivals. If hiring a taxi privately, agree on a fare beforehand.
Last Updated: 15 March 2016
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airport's and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items mentioned in the guide, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.