Riyadh Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Riyadh Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
Security is amazing, and they will let you strip to your boxer shorts in public to attempt to get through the metal detector without it beeping. - Ade
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported back to us during their time at King Khalid International Airport.
What to Expect
- A large and busy international airport with three main triangular-shaped passenger terminals (Terminals 1, 2 and 3), connected by skybridges. A fourth terminal is currently unused, but undergoing development.
- Expensive shops and lackluster dining options.
- Several reviewers report rude treatment towards some foreign nationals from airport staff, especially in Customs/Immigration. Others reported an overall rude and disinterested staff...IF you can find them.
Chaotic and inefficient airport processes, including arriving baggage heaped into a pile, poor signage, a non-working PA system and several flights not listed on the flight boards. Several reviewers had a hard time finding out what gates they were supposed to board at, and an even harder time finding airport staff to assist them.
- A ban on luggage trolleys in certain areas means you have to carry your baggage by hand to check-in counters, so try to travel light if you can!
- Minimal seating airside
- According to most of our reviewers, the restrooms are filthy and stinky beyond belief!
- Don’t even think about drinking alcohol here, or sneaking it in!
- Although head covering is not required, females should dress modestly when traveling through this airport.
- Free WiFi is available. See WiFi in the airport guide below.
Where to Sleep
- There are recliners near the gates and around the duty free shop.
- For uninterrupted sleep, there are hotels near the airport. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
Good to Know
- Economy class passengers can pay to enter one of the airport’s first class lounges. See Airport Lounges in the airport guide below for locations and rates.
For more information about the services and facilities available, scroll down to continue exploring our Riyadh Airport Guide. Send us your airport tips to help us keep this information up to date.
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
- Plaza Premium Lounge - Location: Terminal 1, Airside, Mezzanine, Departure Hall. Hours: open 24 hours. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (195 SAR - 2 hours • 335 SAR - 5 hours • 535 SAR - 10 hours) • Book Online (£38.00 - 3 hours or £66.00 - 3 to 6 hours - minimum 24 hour advance purchase is required)
- Wellcome Lounge - Location: Terminal 1, Airside, Mezzanine Level. Showers are available. Hours: open 24 hours. Lounge Access: Book Online (£27.00 - 3 hours or £55.00 - 3 to 6 hours - minimum 24 hour advance purchase is required)
- Wellcome Lounge - Location: Terminal 2, Airside, 2nd Floor. Showers are available. Hours: open 24 hours. Lounge Access: Book Online (£27.00 - 3 hours or £55.00 - 3 to 6 hours - minimum 24 hour advance purchase is required)
- Al-Fursan Golden Lounge - Location: Terminal 2, Airside, near Gate 21.
- Al-Fursan Golden Lounge - Location: Terminal 3, Airside, near Gate 38.
If sleeping in Riyadh Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Makarim Riyadh Hotel - (5 min from the airport) Located next to the airport terminal. No airport shuttle.
- Meral Crown Hotel - (10 min from the airport) Airport shuttle service available.
- Holiday Inn Riyadh Izdihar - (15 min from the airport) No airport shuttle.
- Mercure Value Riyadh - (15 min from the airport) No airport shuttle.
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Riyadh Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
Free WiFi is available at Riyadh Airport with purchase at Starbucks.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - Yes available but exact locations are not known.
- Banking - Yes. Location and hours are unknown.
- Car Rentals - Yes
- Currency Exchange - Information is not known however the bank may offer these services.
- Food & Drinks - The airport advertises that restaurants and cafeterias are available, hours are not known.
- Medical Care - Yes
- Mosque - Yes
- Showers - Yes, see Airport Lounges above.
As of this update, we were unable to confirm airport hours of operation. We recommend that you read a few reviews before deciding to sleep in the airport overnight. If you know the airport hours, please send an email to email@example.com and we will update this airport guide.
A reader sent us an email with this information in September 2016:
"Regarding going to and from the airport there aren't many options:
From airport to the city you can take a formal taxi in the taxi queue for about 70 SAR (Saudi riyals). There is also a little desk at the airport exit inside the terminal that belongs to London Taxi, it is maybe 80 SAR but the taxi is a London cab with extra space for luggage and legs and better accessibility.
There is a lot of informal cars picking passengers at the exit doors of airport but it is not recommended to trust them. Observe only one stop is included in the price.
To go to airport you can call London taxi or the taxi companies to pick you or also use the app Uber.
There is no bus or train connecting the airport to the city.
For carrying large amount of luggage, riyadh airport has staff to carry luggage at low cost right at the outside of security zones."
@AirportSleeper Starbucks w/ free WiFi in Terminal 2 & tons of charging stations; all good there. just need an in-terminal transit hotel :)— Kevin Shane (@kevin_quicksand) February 19, 2014
Last Updated: 05 September 2016
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items mentioned in the guide, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.