Cancun Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Cancun Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
Please be careful, I have an iron stomach but after eating something at the airport my husband and I both got violently ill. - a traveller
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on Cancun Airport.
What to Expect
- Cancun International Airport has three terminals; the airport is expanding because it has become the busiest point of entry to Mexico. Terminal one has seven gates, terminal two has twenty-two gates and terminal three has fifteen gates.
- The domestic terminal shuts down around 10-11 and the bathrooms at midnight, the international terminal is clean and safe.
- Aggressive porters
- This is a major travel destination with many tourists so the airport can be loud and busy with long customs waits.
- WiFi is available, although the connection can be poor at times. See WiFi in the airport guide below.
Where to Sleep
- If you are sleeping in Cancun Airport overnight, bring a blanket, pillow, and sleeping pad if possible. Terminal 1 has virtually nowhere to sleep. Terminal 2 and Terminal 3 have padded seats with armrests. Terminal 2 has a few double seats where you can stretch out if you aren’t too tall. Keep an eye on your luggage while sleeping in Cancun Airport or use one of the lockers, which aren’t very expensive. This is a bright and loud airport, an eye mask and earplugs would be helpful for an overnight stay.
- For uninterrupted sleep, there are hotels near the airport that provide free airport transfers. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
Good to Know
- The distance between the three terminals is too far to walk. You can take an overpriced taxi ride between the two, or the free shuttle bus, which comes around every 30 minutes. Airport staff can direct you to it.
For more information about the services and facilities available, scroll down to continue exploring our Cancun Airport Guide. Send us your airport tips to help us keep this information up to date.
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
If you are an economy class traveller, you can enter these lounges at Cancun airport either by purchasing a lounge pass or through a membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details (ie. facilities, hours, pass and membership information):
- Mera Business Lounge - Location: Terminal 2, Airside, near Gate A. Hours: 7:00AM - 9:00PM (Daily). Lounge Access: Pay at the Door • Book Online (US$ 39 - minimum 24 hour advance purchase is required)
- Mera Business Lounge - Location: Terminal 3, Airside. Hours: 7:00AM - 10:00PM (Daily). Lounge Access: Pay at the Door • Book Online (US$ 39 - minimum 24 hour advance purchase is required)
- Aeromexico Salon Premier - Location: Airside. Hours: 3:00AM - 2:00AM. Lounge Access: Aeromexico Salon Premier Membership.
WiFi is available at Cancun Airport for a fee.
Pro-Tip: "Do not pay for the airport wifi, it is unusable. I didn't get a chance to investigate if the Starbucks in terminal 3 has free/paid wifi - this might be something to look into." (traveldoc, June 2016)
If sleeping in Cancun Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport with a free airport shuttle:
- Comfort Inn Cancun Aeropuerto - (5 min from the airport) Free 24-hr airport shuttle service available (must pre-book at least 24 hr in advance)
- Courtyard Cancun Airport - (5 min from the airport) Free 24-hr airport shuttle service available. Shuttle runs from hotel to the airport (all terminals) every 30 minutes. For airport pick-up, call +52(998)287‐2200 or from any public (Telmex) phone, call 01‐800‐020‐3373 to request pick-up.
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Cancun Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - Location: Arrivals gates
- Car Rentals -Budget • Dollar • Hertz • Thrifty. Location: on the airport grounds.
- Convenience Store - Locations: T2 and T3
- Duty free - Aldeasa Duty Free. Location: Departures T2, Departures T3, Arrivals T3
- Food & Drinks - At the time of this update it is unknown whether there are any 24-hour food concessions.
- Landside: (Terminal 2) Mera Restaurante • Snack Bar • Welcome Bar (Terminal 3) • Coconuts Bar
- Airside (Terminal 2): Burger King • Colombian Coffee • TGI Friday's • Dominos Pizza • Corona Beach Bar • Grab 'n Go • Snack & Bar To Go • Cuervo Tequileria
- Airside (Terminal 3): Haggen Daz • Dominos Pizza • Grab 'n Go • Bubba Gump • Peking Xpress • Starbucks • Johnny Rockets • Guacamole Grill
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - Location: Main terminal. Rate: $80 pesos for 24 hours
- Pharmacy - There is a Drug Store located in T2 (airside) and T3 airside.
- Shopping - Perfumery and boutiques are located in T2.
- Showers - Not available
The airport is open 24 hours.
Airport Transportation: Getting Around
There is a free inter-terminal shuttle
Several area hotels provide airport transportation service as a courtesy to their guests. Here are a few hotels offering airport shuttle service: Bel Air Collection Resort & Spa Cancun • Comfort Inn Cancun Aeropuerto • Courtyard Cancun Airport • Moon Palace Golf & Spa Resort • Sun Palace.
Last Updated: 13 June 2016
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items mentioned in the guide, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.