Thunder Bay Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Thunder Bay Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
I was prepared to spend the night in the airport -- 4.5 hrs., to be more accurate. However, a stern security guard nixed this plan immediately and told me the airport 'closes from 1:30 to 4:30 am' - Ted L. - Mischa
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported back to us during their time at Thunder Bay International Airport.
What to Expect
- A tiny two-floor airport terminal with minimal shopping and dining options
- WiFi is available. See WiFi information in the airport guide below.
Where to Sleep
- Reviews are mixed on whether or not sleeping is allowed at this airport. Some reviewers were allowed to sleep overnight in the airport chapel, while our most recent reviewer was ordered to vacate the airport at closing time and directed to a nearby hotel.
- For uninterrupted sleep, there are hotels near the airport. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
For more information about the services and facilities available, scroll down to continue exploring our Thunder Bay Airport Guide. Send us your airport tips to help us keep this information up to date.
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
There are no pay-per-use lounges at the airport.
Free WiFi is available at Thunder Bay Airport. Connect to the “Free Tbaytel WiFi” network.
If sleeping in Thunder Bay Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Valhalla Inn - (2 min from the airport) No airport shuttle.
- Best Western Crossroads Motor Inn - (3 min from the airport) Free 24-hr airport shuttle service available.
- Comfort Inn - (4 min from the airport) No airport shuttle
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Thunder Bay Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
- Arcade - Location: Beside the gift shop on the second floor
- ATM - Locations: first and second floor.
- Car Rentals - Yes, see our Airport Transportation section below.
- Food & Drinks - Food concessions in the airport operate with varying schedules. At the time of this update, there are no 24-hour dining options. Vending machines are also available in the airport.
- Children's Play Areas
- Worship Centre - Location: Second Floor, near Arrival Gate 4.
- Business Centre - Location: Second Floor, near Arrival Gate 4.
The airport is open daily from 4:00AM until last flight of the day (approx. 1:30AM.
Thunder Bay Transit Bus routes #3 Memorial - Airport and #3A Airport - City Hall Terminal serve the airport. At the time of this update, bus fare is $2.65
The following car rental agencies are available onsite: Avis, Budget, Enterprise, Hertz and National/Alamo
Several area hotels offer free airport shuttle service as a convenience for their guests. The hotels can be reached by using the courtesy hotel shuttle phone in the baggage claim area. Here are a few hotels offering airport shuttle service: Airlane Hotel and Conference Centre • Best Western Crossroads Motor Inn • Valhalla Inn • Victoria Inn.
Metered taxis are readily available at the airport
Last Updated: 24 June 2016
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items mentioned in the guide, please email us at email@example.com.