Adelaide Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Adelaide Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
The airport closes from 11 PM to 4 AM every night. Do not attempt to sleep here.
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported back to us during their time at Adelaide Airport.
What to Expect
- This airport is small and friendly, with just one terminal.
- There is free WiFi available throughout the airport. See WiFi below.
Where to Sleep
- Since the airport is closed every night from 11PM to 4AM, spending the night here is not possible.
- If you need somewhere to spend the night, try one of the nearby hotels. See Airport Hotels below.
- If you want to take a power nap during the day, there are long benches available airside/past-security.
Good to Know
- Economy class passengers can find comfort in one of the lounges that are accessible with a membership. See Airport Lounges below for locations.
For more information about the services and facilities available, scroll down to continue exploring our Adelaide Airport Guide. Send us your airport tips to help us keep this information up to date.
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
- Qantas Club - Location: Airside, level 2, across from Gate 21. Showers are available. Lounge Access: Qantas Club Membership.
- Virgin Australia Lounge - Location: Airside, level 2. Lounge Access: Virgin Australia Membership.
Free WiFi is available at Adelaide Airport. Connect to the “Adelaide Airport” network.
If sleeping in Adelaide Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Adelaide Airport Motel - (3 minutes from the airport) Airport transfers available for AUD $3.50 each way.
- Aviators Lodge - (8 minutes from the airport) Airport shuttle runs daily, every hour from 6:00AM to 10:00AM and 6:00PM to 10:00PM, for $5.50 per person, one way. For airport pick-up, call the hotel at 8356 8388 after picking up your luggage.
- Adelaide Shores Resort - (10 minutes from the airport) Airport transfers can be booked directly through the airport ($).
- Lockleys Hotel - (10 minutes from the airport) Airport transfers can be booked directly through the airport ($).
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Adelaide Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
- Airport Ambassasors - If you need help navigating the terminal or have general questions, look for the Airport Ambassadors in the Baggage Claim Hall and Main Check-in Area. They will be wearing bright burgundy jackets.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - ATMs and foreign currency ATMs are available on the ground floor and Level 2.
- Car Rentals - Yes, see our Airport Transportation section below.
- Children's Play Area - A gated children’s play area is available airside, next to Hudson’s Coffee.
- Currency Exchange - Duty Free & Shopping - Duty-free shopping is available airside to passengers departing or arriving on international flights. In addition, a wide variety of retail shops and newsstands are available throughout the airport.
- Food & Drinks - Food concessions throughout the airport operate with varying schedules. At the time of this update, there are no 24-hour dining options.
- Information Desk - There is a Visitor Information Booth located on the Ground Floor. The staff can assist you with tourist information, transport services, flight information and airport and terminal information. If the booth is unattended, look for one of the Airport Ambassadors, who will be wearing bright burgundy jackets.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - Luggage lockers are available at the following per 24-hour rates: $10 for a small locker • $12 for a medium locker • $14 for a large locker • $18 for a bike box. Location: Multi-level car park, ground floor, near the car rental offices.
- Mailbox - There is a post office off airport grounds (on the corner of Sir Donald Bradman Drive & Sir Richard Williams Avenue). For letters and post cards that already have postage, you will find the mailbox on the ground floor, outside the Terminal, next to the Qantas valet.
- Medical Services - Urgent and emergency medical care is available in the airport’s first aid facility. For access, seek the assistance of an airport staff member.
- Musical Performances - Choirs and musical groups perform in the airport throughout the year.
- Pharmacy - Airport Pharmacy is located on Level 2.
- Post Office - In addition to postal services, a newsstand and refreshments are available. Location: Export Park, on the corner of Sir Donald Bradman Drive and Sir Richard Williams Avenue, just after the airport entrance to airport grounds. Hours: unknown.
- Prayer Room - Location: Terminal 1, Airside, Level 2, between Rip Curl and News Links. Hours: during airport operational hours.
- Shopping - Duty Free is available as well as a variety of other shops.
- Showers - Showers are available in the Qantas Club [ see Airport Lounges above ]
- Smoking Area - There is a dedicated smoking area on Level 2, outside the terminal. You will also find a smoking area in the Thomas Cooper Bar on the Ground Floor.
Terminal 1 is open from 4:00AM - 11:00PM. On their web site they state "Please note the terminal is not open overnight or outside these hours."
Adelaide Airport is served by JetExpress (J1X), a double-decker bus that runs between the airport and the city center, stopping at popular attractions and over 20 hotels along the way. Jetbus service (lines J1, J2, J7 and J8) run between the airport and Glenelg, West Beach and the city center, with stops along the way. Both bus services are part of the Adelaide Metro network. Single trip and day trip tickets can be purchased on board from the driver of the bus or other Metro services. Rechargeable Metrocards can be purchased from vending machines at the airport, from Adelaide Metro Info Centers or from Metro agents. For AU$25, you can pick up an Adelaide Metro Visitor Pass from select ticket outlets. This pass includes unlimited travel on the Adelaide Metro transportation network for 3 days, plus maps and travel guides. For more information on the visitor pass, JetExpress and Jetbus routes and timetables, fare or any other Metro transportation, visit the Adelaide Metro website.
Car rental agencies desks are located in the baggage claim area on the ground floor. The following agencies are available onsite: Avis, Budget, Europcar, Hertz, Redspot/Sixt and Thrifty.
Several area hotels provide airport transportation service to their guests for either as a courtesy or for a fee. Here are a few hotels offering airport shuttle service: Aviators Lodge • Adelaide Airport Motel ($).
Metered taxis are readily available at the taxi rank, located to the left of the pedestrian plaza as you exit the terminal. Concierge is available onsite to ensure smooth pickup and assist passengers in hiring the taxi that best fits their needs (baby capsule, wheelchair access, larger vehicle, etc.). There is an AU$2 surcharge added to trips from the airport. At the time of this update, an average fare between the airport and city center costs AU$20.
Last Updated: 09 March 2017
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items mentioned in the guide, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.