Adelaide Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Adelaide Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
The airport closes from 11 PM to 4 AM every night. Do not attempt to sleep here.
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported back to us during their time at Adelaide Airport.
What to Expect
- This airport is small and friendly, with just one terminal.
- There is free WiFi available throughout the airport. See WiFi below.
Where to Sleep
- Since the airport is closed every night from 11PM to 4AM, spending the night here is not possible.
- If you need somewhere to spend the night, try one of the nearby hotels. See Airport Hotels below.
- If you want to take a power nap during the day, there are long benches available airside/past-security.
Good to Know
- Economy class passengers can find comfort in one of the lounges that are accessible with a membership. See Airport Lounges below for locations.
For more information about the services and facilities available, scroll down to continue exploring our Adelaide Airport Guide. Send us your airport tips to help us keep this information up to date.
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
- Qantas Club - Location: Airside, level 2, across from Gate 21. Showers are available. Lounge Access: Qantas Club Membership.
- Virgin Australia Lounge - Location: Airside, level 2. Lounge Access: Virgin Australia Membership.
Free WiFi is available at Adelaide Airport. Connect to the "Internode" network. Additionally, there are 10 internet kiosks available for a fee. Location: airside, next to Hungry Jacks.
If sleeping in Adelaide Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Adelaide Airport Motel - (3 min from the airport) Airport transfers available for AUD $3.50 each way.
- Aviators Lodge - (8 min from the airport) Airport shuttle runs daily, every hour from 6:00AM to 10:00AM and 6:00PM to 10:00PM, for $5.50 per person, one way. For airport pick-up, call the hotel at 8356 8388 after picking up your luggage.
- Adelaide Shores Resort - (10 min from the airport) Airport transfers can be booked directly through the airport ($).
- Lockleys Hotel - (10 min from the airport) Airport transfers can be booked directly through the airport ($).
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Adelaide Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
- Airport Ambassasors - If you need help navigating the terminal or have general questions, look for the Airport Ambassadors in the Baggage Claim Hall and Main Check-in Area. They will be wearing bright burgundy jackets.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - Regular ATMs and Foreign Exchange ATMs are located in Terminal 1 on the Ground Level and Level 2.
- Car Rentals - Yes, see our Airport Transportation section below.
- Children's Play Area - Location: near Hudson's Coffee (airside).
- Currency Exchange - There are 3 Travelex offices (landside and airside).
- Food & Drinks - There are no 24 hour food or beverage concessions available at this airport.
- Information Desk - There is a Visitor Information Booth located on the Ground Floor. The staff can assist you with tourist information, transport services, flight information and airport and terminal information. If the booth is unattended, look for one of the Airport Ambassadors, who will be wearing bright burgundy jackets.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - Lockers are located near the car rentals counters in the Terminal 1 car park. Rates per 24 hours: $10.00 (small bag) • $12.00 (medium bag) • $14.00 (large bag: 24 hours).
- Mailbox - There is a post office off airport grounds (on the corner of Sir Donald Bradman Drive & Sir Richard Williams Avenue). For letters and post cards that already have postage, you will find the mailbox on the ground floor, outside the Terminal, next to the Qantas valet.
- Medical Services - First Aid can be provided at the airport within the Airport Pharmacy located on Level 2.
- Musical Performances - Choirs and musical groups perform in the airport throughout the year.
- Pharmacy - Location: Level 2.
- Prayer Room - Location: Terminal 1, Airside, Level 2, between Rip Curl and News Links. Hours: during airport operational hours.
- Shopping - Duty Free is available as well as a variety of other shops.
- Showers - Showers are available in the Qantas Club [ see Airport Lounges above ]
- Smoking Area - There is a dedicated smoking area on Level 2, outside the terminal. You will also find a smoking area in the Thomas Cooper Bar on the Ground Floor.
Terminal 1 is open from 4:00AM - 11:00PM. On their web site they state "Please note the terminal is not open overnight or outside these hours."
Adelaide Airport is served by JetExpress (J1X), a double-decker bus that runs between the airport and the city center, stopping at popular attractions and over 20 hotels along the way. Jetbus service (lines J1, J2, J7 and J8) run between the airport and Glenelg, West Beach and the city center, with stops along the way. Both bus services are part of the Adelaide Metro network. Single trip and day trip tickets can be purchased on board from the driver of the bus or other Metro services. Rechargeable Metrocards can be purchased from vending machines at the airport, from Adelaide Metro Info Centers or from Metro agents. For AU$25, you can pick up an Adelaide Metro Visitor Pass from select ticket outlets. This pass includes unlimited travel on the Adelaide Metro transportation network for 3 days, plus maps and travel guides. For more information on the visitor pass, JetExpress and Jetbus routes and timetables, fare or any other Metro transportation, visit the Adelaide Metro website.
Car rental agencies desks are located in the baggage claim area on the ground floor. The following agencies are available onsite: Avis, Budget, Europcar, Hertz, Redspot/Sixt and Thrifty.
Several area hotels provide airport transportation service to their guests for either as a courtesy or for a fee. Here are a few hotels offering airport shuttle service: Aviators Lodge • Adelaide Airport Motel ($).
Metered taxis are readily available at the taxi rank, located to the left of the pedestrian plaza as you exit the terminal. Concierge is available onsite to ensure smooth pickup and assist passengers in hiring the taxi that best fits their needs (baby capsule, wheelchair access, larger vehicle, etc.). There is an AU$2 surcharge added to trips from the airport. At the time of this update, an average fare between the airport and city center costs AU$20.
Last Updated: 09 September 2016
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items mentioned in the guide, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.