Gold Coast Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Gold Coast Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of nearby airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
Don't even try, it is not worth loosing a night hoping that you will manage to stay in.
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported back to us during their time at Gold Coast Airport.
What to Expect
- A small and relaxed single terminal regional airport with a good variety of shopping and dining options
- The airport provides free WiFi. See WiFi information in the airport guide below.
Where to Sleep
- Sleeping is not permitted inside the terminal when the airport is closed for the night. If you get stuck here when the airport is closed, there are flat benches under a large canopy-covered area, just outside of the terminal. One reviewer described the area as “well lit, clean and quiet”.
- For uninterrupted sleep, there are hotels near the airport that provide free airport shuttles. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
Good to Know
- Economy class passengers can find comfort in one of the lounges that are accessible with an airline membership. See our Airport Lounges section for locations and rates.
For more information about the services and facilities available, scroll down to continue exploring our Gold Coast Airport Guide. Send us your airport tips to help us keep this information up to date.
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
- Virgin Australia Lounge - Location: Airside, Domestic Departures, adjacent to Gates 1 and 2. Showers are available. Lounge Access: Virgin Australia Membership.
- Qantas Lounge - Location: Airside. Showers are available. Lounge Access: Qantas Club Membership.
Free WiFi is available at Gold Coast Airport. Internet kiosks are also available for a fee.
If sleeping in Gold Coast Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- La Costa Motel - (2 min from the airport) Free airport shuttle runs every 15 minutes from 4:30AM to 11:00PM (must be pre-booked).
- Gold Coast Airport Motel - (5 min walk from the airport) Located 350m from the airport. Free transfer to the airport, upon request.
- Pacific Place Apartments - (5 min from the airport) Walking distance to the airport and the beach.
- Coolangatta YHA - Located 500m from the airport.
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Gold Coast Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - Travelex has ATMs located throughout the airport. A select few dispense foreign currency (New Zealand Dollars, Australian Dollars and Japanese Yen).
- Baby Care Facilities - Parents Rooms are available throughout the airport. There are also a limited number of free-to-use strollers at the check-in counters.
- Baggage Services - Baggage wrapping & weighing, online visa application, travel items for sale, and limited business services are available at the SmarteCarte Baggage Services kiosk. Location: near Check-In.
- Car Rentals - Yes, see our Airport Transportation section below.
- Currency Exchange - Three Travelex foreign exchange kiosks serve the airport. In addition, Travelex ATMs dispense NZD, AUD and Japanese Yen from locations throughout the airport. Hours: Open year-round for all arriving and departing flights
- Duty-Free & Shopping - Duty-free shopping is available, as well as a selection of shops.
- Food & Drinks - Food concessions throughout the airport operate with varying schedules. Options include: Aromas • Blackstone Bar & Lounge • Hungry Jacks • Noodle Box • NRG Express • The Coast Cafe and Bar • Red Rooster • SumoSalad • Velocity Espresso & Bar • Velluto Espresso & Bar • Zoom
- Information Desk - Information is not available however there is a Gold Coast Tourist Centre which may be of assistance, located across from the car rental counters.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - Single-use lockers are available for rent in a self-service facility at the airport. Rates are per 24-hour period (in $AUD): $10 (small) • $12 (medium) • $14 (large). Location: Opposite the car rentals office towards the front of the central walkway from the main parking lot. Hours: Open 24 hours.
- Massage Chairs - Massage chairs are available throughout the airport for a small fee.
- Showers - Showers are available in the Qantas and Virgin Australia Lounges [ see Airport Lounges above ].
Airport Sleeper Policy
"The Gold Coast Airport terminal is locked / closed overnight from 2300hrs to 430hrs as we have a curfew. There are outside benches but not encouraged for sleeping overnight."
The airport is open from 4:30AM until the last flight of the day has cleared. Overnight stays are not permitted on airport property, and the airport terminal is locked down for security reasons from 11:00PM - 4:30AM.
TransLink bus line 760 runs every 30 minutes, links the airport to Varsity Lakes train station, where frequent train service is available to/from Brisbane. TransLink bus line 777 runs daily, every 15 minutes from 7:00AM - 7:00PM, to Broadbeach South tram station, where connections can be made to other bus lines or G: trams for Surfers Paradise and Southport. Try a Go Card or Go Explore integrated travel cards for discounted and convenient travel on public transportation.
The following car rental agencies are available onsite: Avis, Budget, Europcar, Hertz, Redspot and Thrifty.
Several area hotels provide airport transportation service to their guests either for a fee or as a courtesy. Here are a few hotels offering airport shuttle service: Gold Coast Airport Motel • La Costa Motel.
Gold Coast Tourist Shuttle offers shared-ride door-to-door service between the airport and your Gold Coast lodging of choice. A “Freedom Pass” is also available, which includes airport transfers and unlimited local bus service via Surfside Buslines.
Gold Coast Cabs operates at a taxi rank directly outside of the airport terminal.
Last Updated: 22 February 2017
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items mentioned in the guide, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.