Mackay Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Mackay Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the name of a hotel near the airport in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported back to us during their time at Mackay Airport.
What to Expect
- The Mackay airport has a single, walkable terminal.
- Free WiFi is available. See WiFi in the airport guide below.
- We have not received any reviews on this airport. If you have been there recently, please write a review.
Where to Sleep
- Since the airport is closed at night, sleeping here is not permitted.
- For uninterrupted sleep, there is a hotel on airport grounds and several nearby hotels.. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
Good to Know
- Economy class passengers can find comfort in one of the lounges that are accessible with an airline membership. See Airport Lounges in the airport guide below for locations and rates.
For more information about the services and facilities available, scroll down to continue exploring our Mackay Airport Guide. Send us your airport tips to help us keep this information up to date.
- Virgin Australia Lounge - Location: Airside, Domestic Departures, Ground floor. Lounge Access: Virgin Australia Membership.
- Qantas Lounge - Location: Ground Floor, beside Qantas check-in counter. Lounge Access: Qantas Club Membership.
Free WiFi is available at Mackay Airport with purchases of $12 or more.
If sleeping in Mackay Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Ibis Mackay Airport - A new hotel with 152 rooms, located just a few minutes walk from the airport gates. No airport shuttle
- Illawong Beach Resort - (5 min from the airport) There are mixed reviews about this location, but this is the closest hotel to the airport until the Ibis Mackay Airport opens. No airport shuttle
- Ocean International Hotel - (5 min from the airport) No airport shuttle
- Mackay Motor Inn - (8 min from the airport) No airport shuttle
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Mackay Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
- ATMs - There are two ATMs. Locations: Arrivals, Baggage Claim • Airside, in the departures lounge.
- Baggage Trolleys - Available in baggage claim, in the car parks and in front of the terminal. Free of charge.
- Car Rentals - Yes, see our Airport Transportation section below.
- Currency Exchange – Crown Currency offers currency exchange, phone cards, and more. Location: . Hours: 8:30AM - 5:00PM (Monday - Friday) and 7:00AM - 12:00PM (Saturday), closed Sunday.
- Disabled Services – Mackay has a full Disability Access Facilitation Plan that outlines all services and facilities. It includes details on wheelchairs, accessible toilets, handicap parking and more.
- Family Services - Baby change rooms are located both airside and landside near the bathrooms.
- Food & Drink - Food concessions throughout the airport operate with varying schedules. At the time of this update, there are no 24-hour dining options. Food options include: DeliMarché • Elements Cafe • The Barra Bar.
- Information Desk – located in the departures area (landside).
- Luggage Storage & Lockers – Storage facilities are not available.
- Mobile Charging – Power outlets and desktop charging stations are available in the Departures lounge.
- Observation Area – Get a bird’s eye view of the apron and runway! Available to both visitors and travelers, the observation deck has tables, seating, food and bar service, and designated smoking area.
- Shopping - Two options are available: Newspapers, magazines, snacks, and more are sold at the Relay store. An assortment of small electronics and travel-related gear is available for purchase at Tech2Go.
- Showers – Yes, showers are located in both the men's and ladies toilets at the departures end of the terminal (opposite the check-in areas).
- Smoking Area – Located airside in the observation area and outside baggage claim.
The airport is open 5:00AM - 9:30PM. Hours may change according to flight schedule. It is not possible to sleep in the airport overnight.
Rental cars are available, and the following companies have desks just in front of the security-screening checkpoint. Companies include: Avis • Hertz • Budget • Europcar • Thrifty • Redspot • Sixt.
Whitsunday 2 Everywhere provides transfers between the airport and Airlie Beach. Transfers are scheduled to match Tigerair flights, and spots can be reserved online in advance.
At the time of this update we were able to find only one hotel that provide an airport shuttle: Potters Oceanside Motel.
Taxis are available.
Last Updated: 27 February 2017
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items mentioned in the guide, please email us at email@example.com.