Newcastle Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Newcastle Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
Unfortunately you can't sleep here as they close from 10 PM to 4:30 AM.
- a traveller (2016)
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported back to us during their time at Newcastle Airport.
What to Expect
- The Newcastle airport has a single, walkable terminal.
- Free WiFi is available. See WiFi in the airport guide below.
- We have not received many reviews on this airport. If you have been there recently, please write a review.
Where to Sleep
- Since the airport is closed at night, sleeping here is not permitted.
- For uninterrupted sleep, there are hotels near the airport. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
For more information about the services and facilities available, scroll down to continue exploring our Newcastle Airport Guide. Send us your airport tips to help us keep this information up to date.
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
As of this update we were unable to confirm whether the airport has any first class or business lounges. If you know, please email us at email@example.com.
If sleeping in Newcastle Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Mercure Newcastle Airport - Located 300m from the airport. Free airport shuttle.
- Sleepy Hill Motor Inn - (15 min from the airport) No airport shuttle.
- Colonial Terrace Motor Inn - (15 min from the airport) No airport shuttle.
- Sir Francis Drake Motor Inn - (15 min from the airport) No airport shuttle.
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Newcastle Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
Free WiFi is available at Newcastle Airport. Connect to the "Newcastle_Airport_Wireless" network. Additionally, there are two internet kiosks. One is located on the retail concourse (landside) beside the ATMs. The other is located in the departure area (airside). The fee to use the kiosks is $2 for 20 minutes.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - There are three ATMs available, 2 are airside just past security check point and the other is landside (Arrivals) .
- Baggage Trolleys - Available for a $5 charge. Upon return, you will receive a $1 refund.
- Car Rentals - Yes, see our Airport Transportation section below.
- Duty Free & Shopping - Duty Free is not available and there is only one shop, News Travels, located Airside.
- Family Services - A parent’s room is located opposite Gate 2 and baby changing facilities can be found in 5 washrooms throughout the airport.
- Food & Drinks - There are no 24-hour food concessions. There are 5 restaurant options to choose from, most open 1 hour before the first flight and close shortly after the last departure.
- Information Desk - Yes, located in the Arrivals Hall.
- Smoking Areas - Smoking is not permitted in or within 7m of the terminal. There are two designated outdoor smoking areas at each end of the terminal.
According to a traveller review in June 2016, the airport is closed 10 PM to 4:30 AM. It is not possible to stay here overnight.
Hunter Valley Buses link the airport to to Maitland, Raymond Terrace, and Stockton. Port Stephens Coaches offer frequent service to and from Newcastle train station, and additional service to Nelson Bay. Cash and Opal cards are accepted.
The following car rental agencies are available onsite in the Arrivals area: Avis, Budget, Europcar, Hertz, Redspot and Thrifty.
Taxis are available at the taxi rank outside of the Arrivals area, and can also be contacted by using the dedicated taxi phone in the Arrivals lobby.
Last Updated: 14 March 2016
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items mentioned in the guide, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.