Queenstown Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Queenstown Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the name of a hotel near the airport in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
Queenstown airport in New Zealand is one of the most scenic airports and one of the smallest international airport. - a guest reviewer
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported back to us during their time at Queenstown Airport.
What to Expect
- This is a smaller airport with a single terminal.
- The airport is closed each night an hour after the last flight, and opens each morning an hour before the first.
- Free WiFi is available. See WiFi information in the airport guide below.
Where to Sleep
- Since this airport is closed each night, sleeping here is not permitted.
- There are no on-site hotels. However, there are nearby hotels that provide an airport shuttle. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
Good to Know
- Some reviewers have reported long, uncovered walks from the passenger drop-off point to the terminal, so check the weather forecast and be prepared.
- This airport is said to be one of the most scenic in the world, offering stunning views during takeoff and landing when the weather is good. Don’t forget your camera!
- Economy class passengers can pay to use one of the first class lounges. See Airport Lounges below for locations and rates.
For more information about the services and facilities available, scroll down to continue exploring our Queenstown Airport Guide. Send us your airport tips to help us keep this information up to date.
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
If you are an economy class traveller, you can enter these lounges at Queenstown airport either by purchasing a lounge pass or through a membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details (ie. facilities, hours, pass and membership information):
- Air New Zealand Koru Club - Location: Landside. Lounge Access: Air New Zealand Koru Club Membership.
- Manaia Lounge - Location: Airside, International Departures. Hours: 7:30AM - 4:00PM (Daily). Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (NZD 40 for 3 hours or NZD 55 for 3 hours+)
Free WiFi is available at Queenstown Airport for up to 2 GB per 24 hours. Additionally, there is an internet lounge with 16 computers beside the International Arrivals area. Internet time can be purchased ($2 for 15 minutes) from the information desk. Printing services are also available.
If sleeping in Queenstown Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- DoubleTree by Hilton Queenstown - (5 min drive from the airport) Free airport shuttle available
- Hilton Queenstown Resort & Spa- (5 min drive from the airport) Free airport shuttle available
- Spa B&B Therapeutic Massage - (9 min walk from the airport) Free airport shuttle available
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Queenstown Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
- ATMs - An ANZ ATM is available in the terminal, and accepts both New Zealand and foreign Visa (PLUS), Mastercard (CIRRUS) and Diners Cards. Travelex offers ATMs that dispense both NZ and AUD. Two locations: International Arrivals and in the Main Terminal.
- Car Rentals - Yes, see our Airport Transportation section below.
- Children's Play Areas - There are no children's play areas.
- Currency Exchange – TravelEx provides currency exchange, wire transfers and travellers cheques. They have an office in the check in hall.
- Disabled Services – Services include automatic doors, braille keys, handicap toilets, wheel-chair friendly spaces and elevators.
- Duty Free & Shopping - There are 3 duty-free stores in the airport, located in departures, arrivals and the main airport terminal. There are also a few other shops selling local art, books, sweets, phones, souvenirs and outdoor wear found throughout the terminals. All retailers open half an hour before the first flight, and close half an hour after the last scheduled flight, 7 days a week.
- Food & Drink - All restaurants open half an hour before the first flight, and close half an hour after the last scheduled flight, 7 days a week. Airside, there is an Airspresso Kiosk located in the international departure area. Landside, there is the Airspresso Café and Bar and the Patagonia Café.
- Family Services – A Parents Room is located adjacent to the International Arrivals Area. It includes change tables, microwaves and toys and is free to use. There are also change tables in most public bathrooms.
- Information desk – The Airport Information Desk is open 30 minutes before the first scheduled flight of the day, and 30 minutes after the last scheduled flight of the day. Location: Near International Arrivals
- Luggage Carts – unknown.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers – Daily charge for a locker is $4 for a key drop locker, $6 for a medium locker, and $8 for a large locker. Oversized items can be stored at the Airport Information Desk for $10 a day, per item. Location: Outside of the terminal, near Check-In.
- Mail Box - Mail boxes for international and domestic mail can be found near the Paper Plus store.
- Medical Services - A First Aid Room is available for urgent medical issues. Stop at the Airport Information Desk first for assistance. The First Aid Room is located next to the Airport Information Desk.
- Pharmacy – Located between Paper Plus and Airspresso Café in the international departure area.
- Showers – Showers are not available.
- Smoking Area – Smoking areas are not available inside the terminal. There is a designated smoking area outside in the forecourt.
The airport is open daily from 6:00AM until one hour after last scheduled flight. Overnight stays are not permitted in this airport.
- Connectabus - Provides a shuttle service between major destinations in Queenstown and Wanaka and the airport.
- Connexions - Alpine Connexions offers 4 daily transport services from the airport to Cromwell via Wanaka, and 5 daily services traveling in the opposite direction. In the winter, they also have scheduled transport to Treble Cone and Cardrona ski fields.
- Airport Super Shuttle - Shared and private micro coach shuttles that connect the airport with major accommodation.
- Buckley Track Transport - Shuttles between all tracks in the Wakatipu area
- Glenorchy Journeys - Shuttles between the airport, Glenorchy and the walking tracks in the Mt Aspiring National Park. Also provides a shuttle service from the airport to Divide.
- Tracknet Transport - Passenger coach service between the airport and numerous destinations around the South Island.
The following companies have car rental offices in the airport terminal, near the arrivals/baggage claim exit doors. Hertz • Avis • Budget• Europcar • Thrifty • Jucy Smart Cars.
Several area hotels provide airport transportation service to their guests either for a fee or as a courtesy. Here are a few hotels offering airport shuttle service: Central Ridge Boutique Hotel • DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Queenstown • Hilton Queenstown Resort & Spa • SPA B&B Therapeutic Massage.
Taxis are available in front of the arrivals hall.
Last Updated: 09 September 2016
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items mentioned in the guide, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.