Rarotonga Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Rarotonga Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of nearby airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
A great place to sleep. The beauty of Rarotonga Airport is that it has very few flights which makes for easy sleeping. - a traveller
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported back to us during their time at Rarotonga Airport.
What to Expect
- The Rarotonga airport has a single terminal.
- WiFi is available. See WiFi in the airport guide below.
- We have not received any reviews on this airport since 2008. If you have been there recently, please write a review.
Where to Sleep
- For uninterrupted sleep, there are hotels near the airport. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
Good to Know
- Economy class passengers flying on Air New Zealand can find comfort in the lounge which is accessible with an airline membership. See Airport Lounges in the airport guide below for locations and rates.
For more information about the services and facilities available, scroll down to continue exploring our Rarotonga Airport Guide. Send us your airport tips to help us keep this information up to date.
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
If you are an economy class traveller, you can enter the lounge at Rarotonga airport with a membership. Visit the individual lounge page for more details (ie. facilities, hours, pass and membership information):
- Air New Zealand Koru Club - Location: Airside, International Departures. Lounge Access: Air New Zealand Koru Club Membership.
WiFi is available at Rarotonga Airport for a fee.
If sleeping in Rarotonga Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- The Islander Hotel - (2 min walk from the airport) Located across the road from the airport. Roundtrip airport transfers available for NZD 20 per person.
- The Reef Motel - (4 min from the airport) Airport transfers available for $17.50 per person, each way or $35 per person roundtrip. Airport pick-up is traditional “ei” flower meet and greet.
- Sunset Resort - (5 min from the airport) Airport transfers available for $15 per person, each way or $30 per person roundtrip. Airport pick-up is traditional “ei” flower meet and greet.
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Rarotonga Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - There is an ATM that dispenses New Zealand dollars. Location: International Arrivals. Hours: open 24 hours.
- Baggage Trolleys - Yes available, rates are not known.
- Duty Free and Shopping - Duty Free is available at the airport as well as a small selection of souvenir type shops.
- Food & Drinks - There are 3 cafes/restaurants inside the airport as well as 3 options on the airport grounds including at the airport hotel. Hours are not known but it would seem that none offer 24 hour service. Vending machines are also available.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - Baggage storage is available at the Air Rarotonga Baggage Services booth. Location: check-in area sidewalk adjacent to the passenger drop-off zone. Rates: NZ $1.00 per day (small bags) • NZ$ 5 per day (surfboards). Coin operated lockers are also available behind the Ka Kite Cafe between the checkin area and the international departure lounge. Rates: NZ$15.00 for a small locker and NZ$20.00 for a large locker (per 24 hours).
Information not available
Raro Tours, Tiare Transport and Natura Holidays offer meet and greet airport transfer service. Contact your service provider of choice for details.
Cook Buses city bus service links the airport to the rest of the island, with departures available every 30 minutes. Buses running clockwise stop at the RSA Club across the road from the airport parking lot, just 70m from Arrivals. Buses running counterclockwise stop by a small tree near the Air New Zealand office.
Car and Scooter Rental
Avis and Polynesian Rentals are available onsite in the Arrivals area. Island Car and Bike Hire is located near the airport parking exit.
Several area hotels provide airport transportation service to their guests either for a fee or as a courtesy. Here are a few hotels offering airport shuttle service: Club Raro • Sunset Resort • The Edgewater Resort & Spa • The Islander Hotel • The Reef Motel.
Taxis are available at the taxi rank located near the Arrivals area. At the time of this update, estimated one-way fare between the airport and hotels in Aroa or Muri is NZ$40.
Last Updated: 14 March 2016
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items mentioned in the guide, please email us at email@example.com.