Albany Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Albany Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the name of a hotel near the airport in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
The cleaning crew comes around at 3 or 4 am -- guaranteed to wake you up with their vacuum machines -a traveller
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported back to us during their time at Albany International Airport.
What to Expect
- A mid-sized airport with three concourses (Concourses A, B and C)
- After airport restaurants and shops close for the night, vending machines are the only in-airport snack option. Plan ahead and buy your food and drinks before the concessions close.
- The airport provides free WiFi. See WiFi information in the airport guide below.
Where to Sleep
- After security checkpoints close for the night, passengers are restricted to landside only. Passengers sleeping airside will be required to go back to landside until security reopens, and will need to clear security again to re-enter.
- There is a warm, dark room off of the observation deck that has benches, a conference table and comfortable chairs. The nearby bathroom is a plus!
- The ticketing area is brightly lit and has comfortable chairs, but some reviewers found the classical background music annoying. Have a sleep mask and earplugs or noise-cancelling headphones handy to ensure a good night’s sleep!
- According to one reviewer, active-duty and retired military members, and their families, can rest well in the Military Courtesy Room. Valid military ID is required.
- For uninterrupted sleep, there are hotels near the airport that provide free airport shuttles. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
For more information about the services and facilities available, scroll down to continue exploring our Albany Airport Guide. Send us your airport tips to help us keep this information up to date.
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
There are no pay-per use airport lounges. See information on the Business Center below.
- Capt. John J. McKenna IV Military Courtesy Room - Location: 3rd Level, to the left of the Observation View. Hours: 8:00AM - 8:00PM. Amenities: A 10’x20’ room featuring comfortable seating, large-screen TV, computer, free WIFI, refrigerator, food & beverages, books, and DVDs. Lounge Access: open to enlisted military and their families.
Free WiFi is available at Albany airport. Connect to the AirportWiFiFree network.
If sleeping at the Albany Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport with free airport shuttles:
- Hilton Garden Inn Albany Airport - Located across the street from the terminal. Free airport shuttle service, on request.
- Days Inn Albany Airport - (2 minutes from the airport) Free airport shuttle service available.
- Hotel Indigo Albany Latham- (4 minutes from the airport) Located at the airport entrance. Free airport shuttle service available. Call the hotel (1-518-8699100) once you have your luggage then head to the shuttle/taxi area and look for the white Albany Park Ride and Fly van.
- Residence Inn Albany Airport - (4 minutes from the airport) Free scheduled airport shuttle available.
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Albany Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
- Airport Tours - If you are travelling in a group, you can arrange for a tour of the airport to see how it works. During the 60-90 minute tour, you will go through Albany airport's ticketing area, baggage claim and then up to the observation deck to see and hear the aircraft take off and land. Fun times! You may also have the opportunity to visit the Airport Rescue and Fire Fighting headquarters to meet with airport rescue workers. The airport tours are available Monday-Saturday.
- Arts & Culture Program - Check out the exhibitions throughout the airport. There is an Art Gallery on Observation Level 3.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - Key Bank (landside, Level 1, near Information Booth)(Concourse C) and Bank of America (Concourse A).
- Baby Care Facilities - Baby changing tables are available at various locations throughout the airport.
- Baggage Trolleys - Located in the Baggage Claim area. Fee: US$ 4 with a $0.25 refund upon return.
- Business Center - Internet workstations, TV lounge, and limited business services are available. Entry into the center is free, but some services incur a fee. Location: 2nd Level, Concourse C. Hours: 7:00AM - 7:00PM.
- Car Rentals - Yes, see our Airport Transportation section below.
- Currency Exchange - Location: Airport Business Center, Concourse C, airside. Hours: 7:00AM - 9:00PM (Mon-Fri) and 9:00AM - 9:00PM (Sat and Sun).
- Duty Free & Shopping - Along with the standard airport newsstands and bookstore, is the DepARTure Museum Shop, featuring fine art and gifts.
- Food & Drinks - At the time of this update it was not know if there are any 24-hour food or beverage concessions available at the airport. Vending machines are available on the first floor in the baggage claim area.
- Information Desk - Location: first floor, between the ticket counters and the baggage claim. Hours: 6:00AM -11:00PM (Mon-Fri) • 7:00AM - 11:00PM (Sat-Sun). Airport Ambassadors can be found throughout the airport, look for the red blazers.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - not available
- Interfaith Prayer Room - Location: Concourse C
- Observation Deck - Location: 3rd Level.
- Showers - not available
- Smoking - There are no smoking areas inside the airport. Smoking is permitted in designated areas outside the airport.
The airport is open 24 hours.
Keep in mind that TSA, airline check-in and baggage drop hours vary according the flight schedule. Check these hours with your airline. If you are in the public area of the terminal (landside) you will not be able to get through to the secure area of the terminal (airside) until the morning.
Bus and Coach
The Capital District Transportation Authority (CDTA) bus network connects the airport to most areas in the city. For information about fares and schedules visit the CDTA website.
Adirondack Trailways offers service to the entire Adirondack region and the New York City corridor all the way up to Montreal, Canada. Tickets are sold online or at the Information Desk in the airport.
Premiere Transportation offers service to the three major NYC metropolitan airports: JFK, Newark-Liberty and LaGuardia. The JFK/LaGuardia shuttle departs Albany Airport at 9:30AM from the Commercial Lane across from the airport terminal, and departs for the return at 6:30PM (from JFK) and 7:15PM (from LaGuardia). The Newark Airport shuttle departs Albany Airport at 10:30AM from the Commercial Lane, and departs Newark for the return trip at 6:30PM.
Vermont Translines offers daily service between the airport and popular Vermont destinations, including Bennington, Manchester, Rutland and Burlington.
The following car rental agencies are located onsite in the Baggage Claim area: Avis, Budget, Enterprise, Hertz and National/Alamo.
Several area hotels provide airport transportation service as a courtesy to their guests. These hotels can be contacted from the airport via direct-line courtesy phone at the Lodging and Transportation Center located in Baggage Claim. The hotel shuttle stop is in the Commercial Lane directly across from the terminal. Here are a few hotels offering airport shuttle service: Albany Marriott • Best Western Albany Airport Inn • Days Inn Airport & Conference Center • Hampton Inn Albany - Wolf Road (Airport) • Hampton Inn & Suites Albany Airport • Hilton Garden Inn Albany Airport • Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Latham • Homewood Suites by Hilton Albany • Hotel Indigo Albany-Latham • La Quinta Inn & Suites Latham Albany Airport • Quality Inn Central • Quality Inn & Suites Albany Airport • Radisson Hotel Albany • Red Roof Inn Albany Airport • Residence Inn Albany Airport • Staybridge Suites Albany Wolf Rd-Colonie Center • The Desmond Albany • Travelodge Inn and Suites, Latham Circle.
Metered taxis are readily available at the taxi stand, located in the Commercial Lane across from the terminal. Only Capitaland Taxis are authorized to operate from this taxi stand, but with prior arrangements made, passengers may be picked up or dropped off by any taxi service provider of their choice. Capitaland taxis accept cash and credit card.
Last Updated: 11 December 2016
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items mentioned in the guide, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.