Albuquerque Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Albuquerque Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the name of a hotel near the airport in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
Around midnight, the TSA made me leave the secure area, although they were polite and apologetic about it. -a traveller
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported back to us during their time at Albuquerque International Sunport.
What to Expect
- A mid-size three level international airport terminal with two concourses (Concourses A and B)
- After airport restaurants and shops close for the night, vending machines are the only in-airport snack option. Plan ahead and buy your food and drinks before the concessions close.
- The airport provides free WiFi. See WiFi information in the airport guide below.
Where to Sleep
- After security checkpoints close for the night, passengers are restricted to landside only. Passengers sleeping airside will be required to go back to landside until security reopens, and will need to clear security again to re-enter.
- While the airport is pleasant, clean and quiet at night, comfortable armrest-free seating is limited in the landside areas of the terminal. If you are able to find a vacant padded bench, snag it!
- The ticketing/check-in area is where some of our reviewers slept. Have a travel mattress and pillow handy for a comfortable slumber!
- Baggage claim has some comfortable, quiet areas for overnight slumber. Have a travel blanket or sweater handy to keep warm against the frigid A/C!
- For uninterrupted sleep, there are hotels near the airport that provide free airport shuttles. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
For more information about the services and facilities available, scroll down to continue exploring our Albuquerque Airport Guide. Send us your airport tips to help us keep this information up to date.
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
There are no pay-per-use lounges at this time.
Free WiFi is available at Albuquerque Sunport airport. Connect to the "sunport" network.
If sleeping in Albuquerque Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport with free airport shuttles:
- Sheraton Albuquerque Airport Hotel - Located opposite the airport terminal. Free 24-hr airport shuttle service available.
- Hilton Garden Inn Albuquerque Airport - (2 min from the airport) Located just 2 blocks from the airport terminal. Free airport shuttle service.
- Best Western Airport Albuquerque InnSuites - (3 min from the airport) Free airport shuttle service runs from 4:30AM to 11:30PM.
- Staybridge Suites - (2 min from the airport) Free 24-hour airport shuttle is available upon request.
- Homewood Suites by Hilton Albuquerque Airport - (2 min from the airport) Free airport shuttle service available
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Albuquerque Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
- Art in the Airport - The airport’s 113-piece permanent art collection is on display throughout the terminal and airport grounds.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - ATMs are available throughout the terminal.
- Baggage Carts - Smarte Cartes can be found on Level 1/ Baggage Claim and Level 2 / Ticketing area. Fee: unknown.
- Car Rentals - Yes, see our Airport Transportation section below.
- Duty Free & Shopping - Although duty-free shopping is not available, a small variety of retail shops are located throughout the airport.
- Food & Drinks - Food concessions throughout the airport operate with varying schedules. At the time of this update, there are no 24-hour dining options. Some of the food options include: Black Mesa Coffee / Bakery • Keva Juice • La Trattoria • Panda Express • Quiznos Sandwich Shop •Tia Juanita’s New Mexican Food • Watch! Sports Lounge & Grill.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - not available
- Meditation Room - A quiet place to de-stress, pray or meditate. Location: 1st Level, across from Baggage Claim 8.
- Mobile Charging - Workstations with built-in power outlets are available on the 3rd floor, both landside and airside.
- Showers - not available
- Smoking - Smoking is permitted in designated areas outside of the terminal.
The airport is open 24 hours. The TSA security checkpoint hours are approx. 4:30AM - 11:30PM.
Keep in mind that airline check-in and baggage drop hours vary according the flight schedule. Check these hours with your airline. If you are in the public area of the terminal (landside) you will not be able to get through to the secure area of the terminal (airside) until the morning.
Buses and Shuttles
Local bus routes 250, 50 and 222 link the airport to downtown Albuquerque, where connections can be made to New Mexico Rail Runner Express trains. For timetables and fares, visit the City of Albuquerque/ABQ Ride website.
Sunport Shuttle offer shared-ride door-to-door shuttle service between the airport and all Albuquerque area hotels, motels, homes, businesses and other destinations. The Sunport Shuttle check-in counter is located on the Baggage Claim Level near Carrousel 3.
Sandia Shuttle Express offers shared-ride door-to-door shuttle service between the airport and all Albuquerque area hotels, motels, homes, colleges and businesses, with 30 scheduled daily departures available. Check-in is located on the Baggage Claim Level near Carrousel 3. Fare is $28 one way per person ($48 per person, round trip), and includes 2 pieces of luggage plus 1 carry-on (must fit under seat).
RoadRunner Shuttle and Charter offers shared-ride door-to-door shuttle service between the airport and all of New Mexico. Fares per person from ABQ are: $30 one-way to Santa Fe hotels and $97 one-way to Los Alamos. Check-in is located on the Baggage Claim Level near Carrousel 3.
Car rentals are handled at the Sunport Car Center, a separate facility on airport property. Free shuttles connect the airport terminal to the rental car facility, departing every 5 minutes from the commercial lane outside of the 1st level of the airport terminal. The following car rental agencies are located onsite: Advantage, Alamo, Avis, Budget, Dollar, Enterprise, Hertz, National, Payless and Thrifty.
Several area hotels provide airport transportation service as a courtesy to their guests. Here are a few hotels offering airport shuttle service: Best Western Airport Albuquerque InnSuites Hotel & Suites • Comfort Inn Albuquerque Airport • Days Inn and Suites Airport Albuquerque • Hilton Garden Inn Albuquerque Airport • Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Albuquerque Airport • Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Albuquerque Airport - Univ Area • Homewood Suites by Hilton Albuquerque Airport • Hyatt Place Albuquerque Airport • La Quinta Inn Albuquerque Airport • Ramada Albuquerque Airport • Sheraton Albuquerque Airport Hotel • Sleep Inn Airport Albuquerque • Staybridge Suites Albuquerque Airport • Super 8 Albuquerque Airport • TownePlace Suites Albuquerque Airport
Taxis are available in the ground transportation area of the terminal on a 24-hour basis. All taxis are metered and reservations are not required.
Last Updated: 11 December 2016
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items mentioned in the guide, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.