Anchorage Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Anchorage Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the name of a hotel near the airport in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
Avoid C concourse on Wednesday nights as it is full of oilfield workers travelling to Prudhoe Bay on Thursday. You are safe there, but the snoring is truly world class! - Kris
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported back to us during their time at Ted Stevens Anchorage International Airport.
What to Expect
- ANC is a mid-sized international airport with two terminals: North and South. South Terminal has three concourses (Concourses A, B and C)
- If you are able to stay airside, the McDonald’s there is open 24 hours.
- One reviewer noted a lack of charging stations
- The airport provides free WiFi. See WiFi information in the airport guide below.
Where to Sleep
- Reviewers describe the airport as clean, quiet and safe but very cold, with ice cold floors and very few seats without armrests. Have a sleeping bag or travel mattress and blanket handy, as it is likely that you will be sleeping on the floor.
- Concourse C has row upon row of armrest-free seating. A small observation area just before Gate C1 is quieter than the rest of the airport, and a reviewer strongly suggests the area at C9, under the hanging airplane, for a nice place to sleep.
- Check out the area near the Ravn Alaska ticketing/check-in desks for a quiet area with some armrest-free seating.
- Have earplugs or noise-cancelling headphones handy, as those overhead announcements happen frequently, well into the night!
- For uninterrupted sleep, there are hotels near the airport that provide free airport shuttles. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
Good to Know
- Economy class passengers can pay to use one of the first class lounges. See our Airport Lounges section for locations and rates.
For more information about the services and facilities available, scroll down to continue exploring our Anchorage Airport Guide. Send us your airport tips to help us keep this information up to date.
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
If you are an economy class traveller, you can enter the following lounges at Anchorage airport either by purchasing a lounge pass or through a membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details (ie. facilities, hours, pass and membership information):
- Alaska Lounge - Location: Concourse C, Airside, near Gate C1. Hours: 5:00AM - 1:30AM (Daily). Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (US$45) • Book Online (US$45 - day pass) • Alaska Airlines Boardroom Membership.
- Atwood Military Lounge - Open to military personnel and their families only. Snacks, beverages and a playroom are available. Location: South Terminal, Level 1, behind the escalators. Hours: 8:00AM - 12:00AM.
Free WiFi is available at Anchorage Airport. Internet kiosks are located near Gate C4.
If sleeping in Anchorage Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport with free airport shuttles:
- Coast International Inn - (1 min from the airport) This is the closest hotel to the airport. Free 24-hr airport shuttle available.
- Comfort Suites Anchorage International Airport - (2 min from the airport) Free 24-hr airport shuttle available.
- Courtyard Anchorage Airport - (2 min from the airport) Free airport shuttle available on request.
- Lakeshore Inn & Suites - (2 min from the airport) A budget hotel near the airport. Free airport shuttle available.
- Lake Hood Inn - (5 min from the airport) Another budget option near the airport. Free scheduled airport shuttle.
- The Lakefront Anchorage Hotel - (7 minute drive from the airport) Free shuttle is available.
- Puffin Inn - (8 minute drive from the airport) Free shuttle is available.
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Anchorage Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
- Alaska Native Art Displays - Located on the Mezzanine of Concourse C and the "Northern Lights Corridor".
- Alaska Sports Hall of Fame - Located in the South Terminal adjacent to the parking garage.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - There are ATM’s located in the North and South Terminals.
- Baby Care Facilities - Baby changing facilities are located throughout the airport.
- Car Rentals - Yes, see our Airport Transportation section below.
- Currency Exchange - not available at this airport.
- Food & Drinks - There are many food concessions in the South Terminal that operate with varying schedules. These options are open 24 hours: McDonald’s (Airside, Gate C1) • Starbucks (Airside, Concourse C, Exit Lane) • Starbucks (Landside, Level 2, across from Alaska Airlines Ticketing)
- Information Desk - Locations: North Terminal, landside, Lobby. Hours: Open for all flight arrivals • South Terminal, landside, Level 1 baggage claim level, in "C" Concourse, behind the escalators. Hours: 9:00AM - 4:00PM.
- Massage - Right Touch Massage (Concourse C, Exit Lane) 10:00AM - 2:30AM (or 12:00PM - 2:30AM from 9/16 - 5/14)
- Showers - There are no showers at this airport.
- Smoking - Smoking is permitted in designated smoking areas on the commercial curb of the South Terminal and North Terminal.
The airport is open 24 hours.
Keep in mind that TSA, airline check-in and baggage drop hours vary according the flight schedule. Check these hours with your airline. If you are in the public area of the terminal (landside) you will not be able to get through to the secure area of the terminal (airside) until the morning.
The People Mover Bus routes 7A and 7J stop at the airport on its route between Dimond Transit Center and downtown Anchorage. Route 7A runs daily, while Route 7J runs weeknights and all day on the weekends.
The following car rental agencies operate onsite at the airport Rental Car Center: Alamo, Avis, Budget, Dollar, Enterprise, Hertz, National and Thrifty. The Rental Car Center is located across from the South Terminal. Free shuttles run between both terminals and the Rental Car Center every 15 minutes.
Several area hotels provide free airport shuttle service. Some of these hotels can be reached using the Telephone Information Boards located in the baggage claim areas of either terminal. Contact your hotel for shuttle service availability and details.
Here are some hotels that offer airport shuttle service: Alex Hotel & Suites • Coast International Inn • Comfort Suites Anchorage International Airport • Courtyard Anchorage Airport • Fairfield Inn & Suites Anchorage Midtown • Hampton Inn Anchorage • Hilton Garden Inn Anchorage • Homewood Suites by Hilton Anchorage • Holiday Inn Express Anchorage • Lakeshore Inn & Suites • Long House Alaskan Hotel • Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Anchorage Airport • Motel 6 Anchorage Midtown • Puffin Inn • SpringHill Suites Anchorage Midtown.
The airport provides free shuttle service, which runs between the South Terminal, Employee Parking Lot and Rental Car Center every 15 minutes. Service from the North Terminal is available on demand only, and can be requested by using the designated phone on the wall curbside near the southeast end exit door. Free on-demand shuttle service is provided to the Park & Fly Lot (extended parking).
Shared Ride Shuttle
Several local companies provide door-to-door shared ride or exclusive ride service between the airport and the Anchorage metropolitan area. Transportation must be pre-booked. Contact your service provider of choice for details.
Taxis are readily available on the Commercial Curbside of North Terminal and the ground transportation island outside of South Terminal baggage claim. The ride to downtown Anchorage takes from 15 - 20 minutes.
Last Updated: 09 March 2017
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items mentioned in the guide, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.