Austin-Bergstrom Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Austin-Bergstrom Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the name of a hotel near the airport in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
Around midnight they kicked everyone sleeping out of our comfy Southwest Airlines chairs (leather, nice!) and I found the mezzanine the perfect sleeping spot! - defiant
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported back to us during their time at Austin-Bergstrom International Airport.
What to expect
- Austin Airport is a small and pleasant airport that some reviewers describe as efficient and easy to navigate.
- The airport features a live music stage featuring local musicians (cool!), a unique variety of shopping and dining options, clean facilities and lots of bathrooms and power outlets.
- Airport shops and restaurants close at night. Vending machines are available but sell a limited variety of snacks, so stash a take-out meal for later!
- The airport provides free WiFi and internet kiosks. See WiFi below.
Where to Sleep
- After security checkpoints close for the night, passengers are restricted to landside only. Passengers sleeping airside will be required to go back to landside until security reopens, and will need to clear security again to re-enter.
- The Mezzanine is a quiet, carpeted area preferred by many of our reviewers. Power outlets, panoramic views of the airport’s interior and no overhead announcements are some of the bonuses to sleeping here; however, there are no bathrooms up there. To reach the Mezzanine, take the elevator from the ground floor. From the Baggage Claim area, take either the solo elevator near the stairs OR the leftmost elevator of the triple set of elevators on the opposite side.
- A few reviews mention the loud and constant overhead announcements that can be heard through most of the airport (excluding the Mezzanine), so keep some earplugs or noise cancelling headphones handy if you want to sleep!
- The leather chairs in the Southwest boarding areas are said to be comfy, but it is not possible to sleep here overnight. You will be moved to the public area of the terminal until the security checkpoints open in the morning.
- For uninterrupted sleep, there is a hotel on airport grounds and several other nearby hotels that offer an airport shuttle. See Airport Hotels below.
Good to Know
- If you have a long layover and time to kill, local buses can take you between the airport and downtown Austin quickly and cheaply. See Airport Transportation below for more information.
- Economy class passengers can find comfort in one of the lounges that are accessible with a lounge pass or airline membership. See Airport Lounges below for locations and rates.
For more information about the services and facilities available, scroll down to continue exploring our Austin Airport Guide. Send us your airport tips to help us keep this information up to date.
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
If you are an economy class traveller, you can enter these lounges at Austin airport either by purchasing a day pass or through a membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details (ie. facilities, hours, pass and membership information):
- American Airlines Admirals Club - Location: across from Gate 13. Lounge Access: Day Pass (US$59) • Admirals Club Membership.
- United Club - Location: Airside, West Concourse, mezzanine level, across from Gate 13. Lounge Access: Day Pass (US$59) • United Club Membership.
Free WiFi is available at Austin Airport for 90 minutes. Open your browser, select complimentary Wi-Fi (mobile devices select "Get Access") then click "Complimentary Wi-Fi."
Additionally, free internet kiosks are located on the concourse near Gates 8, 12 and 15 and in bag claim by the Visitors Center.
If sleeping in Austin Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Hilton Austin Airport - (2 minutes from the airport terminal) This is the only hotel on airport grounds. Free 24-hr airport shuttle and $1 Airport Flyer service to downtown Austin.
- Quality Inn & Suites Airport - (5 minute from the airport) Free airport shuttle service available from 5:00AM - 11:00PM.
- Super 8 Austin / Airport South - (10 minutes from the airport) Free airport shuttle service available.
- Hampton Inn and Suites Austin AIrport - (5 minutes from the airport) Free shuttle is available.
- Microtel Inn and Suites by Wyndham Austin Airport - (5 minutes from the airport) Free Shuttle departs every 15 minutes
- Holiday Inn Express Austin Airport - (4 minutes from the airport) Free shuttle is available.
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Austin Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
- Art in the Airport - Works from local artists are on display throughout the airport. In addition, check out some of the best local musicians that Austin has to offer! Live music acts perform live on stage in the airport Monday through Friday, usually from 3:30PM - 5:30PM.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - Bank of America ATMs are available in these locations: Ticket Lobby (landside) • Gates 7 and 13 (airside) • Baggage Claim, landside, opposite Carousel 4.
- Baby Care Facilities - Mamava Lactation Suite private room for nursing/pumping breastmilk with two bench seats, small fold-down table, power and USB outlets, mirror, door for privacy. Free access for parents. Location: opposite Gate 7, by the elevator.
- Car Rentals - Yes, see our Airport Transportation section below.
- Courtesy Phones - For local calls only. Location: Baggage Claim, next to Information Desk).
- Currency Exchange - Travelex offers currency exchange airside near Gates 6 and 14. Hours: 6:00AM - 6:00PM.
- Food & Drinks - Food concessions throughout the airport operate on varying schedules, with some open as early as 4:30AM. At the time of this update, there are no 24-hour dining options. Vending machines are available in the Baggage Claim Area, near Carousels 1 and 5.
- Information Desk - The airport’s Visitor Information Centers offer maps, directions, information on ground transportation, and more. You can also seek the assistance of a friendly Ambassador Volunteer with questions about airport amenities and services. Visitor Information Centers are located in the Baggage Claim area, near Carousels 3 and 5.
- Live Music - Local musicians perform at 1 of 6 venues around the airport (Monday - Friday).
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - No
- Massages - Feel your stress melt away with a foot or chair massage at Knot Anymore Massage. Locations: Gate 7 (under the stairway) • Gate 13 (under the stairway).
- Observation Deck - Watch planes take off and land from the Family Viewing Area, an outdoor observation area with paved parking and picnic tables. Mornings are the best time for taking photographs! Location: Adjacent to the runway, just east of the airport entrance.
- Shoe Shine - Loves Shoe Shine (Gate 13, under the stairway).
- Shopping - Books, newspapers, cosmetics, electronics, souvenirs, and more are available for purchase from retail shops and kiosks located throughout the airport.
- Showers - No
- Traveler's Aid - This is a non-profit organization that assists stranded and distressed passengers. Volunteers assist passengers with general airport and destination queries to assisting with situations such as transportation assistance, lost or stolen money, wiring money, emergency housing, etc. Location: unknown. Hours: unknown.
The airport is open 24 hours. The TSA security checkpoints are open from approx. 3:30AM - 8:30PM.
Keep in mind that airline check-in and baggage drop hours vary according the flight schedule. Check these hours with your airline. If you are in the public area of the terminal (landside) you will not be able to get through to the secure area of the terminal (airside) until the morning.
The public bus system is an option for traveling from the Austin airport to the Amtrak Station. The bus loading area is located on the lower level, right outside baggage claim on the far right end. It departs every hour and half hour. Exit at Congress/4th and walk .2 miles to Guadalupe/4th where you will board 3 towards 3-Burnet/Manchaca-S. Exit at BR Reynolds Lamar and walk .2 miles to the Amtrak Station at 250 North Lamar Boulevard. Total travel time should be about 1 hour.
A taxi is significantly faster at about 23 minutes of driving time.
The MetroAirport bus provides direct service into downtown Austin. Buses depart every 30 minutes on the hour and half-hour, with a total trip time of about 20 - 30 minutes. Pick-up points for service to the airport are located in downtown Austin, UT, the Capitol and along Riverside Drive. At the airport, the MetroAirport buses are located on the lower level, outside of baggage claim, to the far right of the passenger terminal. Follow the “Capital Metro” signs and arrows. The fare is $1.75 (exact change needed), or bus passes can be purchased via mobile app.
The following companies provide onsite car rental service at Austin-Bergstrom Airport: Advantage • Alamo • Avis • Budget • Dollar • Enterprise • Hertz • National • Payless • Thrifty.
Several area hotels offer free airport shuttle service as a convenience for their guests. Hotel shuttles pick-up on the Upper Level (Ticketing/Departures). Contact your hotel of choice for shuttle service availability and information. Here are a few hotels that offer airport shuttle service: Best Western Plus Austin Airport Inn & Suites • Comfort Suites Austin Airport • Courtyard by Marriott Austin Airport • Hampton Inn & Suites Austin - Airport • Hampton Inn Austin/Airport Area South • Hilton Austin Airport • Holiday Inn Express Austin Airport • Homewood Suites by Hilton Austin South • La Quinta Inn & Suites Austin Airport • Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Austin Airport • Omni Austin at South Park • Quality Inn & Suites Austin Airport • Staybridge Suites Austin Airport • Super 8 Austin Airport South • Wyndham Garden Austin.
Shared Ride Shuttle
SuperShuttle provides 24-hour door-to-door shared ride or exclusive ride service between the airport and the Austin metropolitan area.
The minimum fare is $13.10, including airport surcharge, for up to 4 passengers (excluding children under 12). Payments by credit card are accepted.
Last Updated: 09 March 2017
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items mentioned in the guide, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.