Birmingham Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Birmingham Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the name of a hotel near the airport in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
There are practically no benches apart from a few of the oddly curved metal benches. - a guest reviewer
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported back to us during their time at Birmingham-Shuttlesworth International Airport.
What to Expect
- Birmingham Airport is a clean and well-designed airport that has been recently renovated. Enjoy the colorful art installations!
- You will find a small and limited variety of familiar and uniquely local shopping and dining options.
- A meditation room is available, should you need to relax before your flight.
- If you are stuck here due to a flight cancellation/delay, it is likely that you may be offered a hotel voucher. Check with your airline.
- The airport provides free WiFi. See WiFi below.
Where to Sleep
- According to one reviewer, the seating is uncomfortable and sleeping on the floor is frowned upon by airport staff.
- There are some nearby hotels that provide free shuttle service. See Airport Hotels below for more information.
Good to Know
- The airport closes for the night.
For more information about the services and facilities available, scroll down to continue exploring our Birmingham Airport Guide. Send us your airport tips to help us keep this information up to date.
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
There are no pay-per-use lounges in the airport.
Free WiFi is available at the airport, connect to “TheAuthorityLan” network and start surfing.
If sleeping in Birmingham Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Ramada Birmingham Airport- (3 minutes from the airport) Reviews are mixed, but this hotel is one of the closest to the airport. Free airport shuttle service available. Hotel can be reached on foot in 10 minutes if you’re traveling light.
- Holiday Inn Birmingham Airport - (3 minutes from the airport) Free airport shuttle service available.
- Quality Inn Airport - Southeast - (8 minutes from the airport) Free airport shuttle service.
- Holiday Inn Express & Suites Birmingham - Irondale (East) - (10 minutes from the airport) Free airport shuttle service available.
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Birmingham Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
- Art in the Airport - There are a number of art exhibits located throughout the airport, check out “Earth Wind and Water: The Landscape of Alabama” a living plant wall located in Concourse B.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - 5 machines are available. Lower level of the terminal near baggage claim • Upper level in the rotundas for concourses A and B • Near the food courts for concourses B and C.
- Baby Care Facilities - Nurse or feed your baby in privacy and comfort inside one of the airport’s Nursing Rooms. Each room is equipped with gliding chairs, electrical outlets, soft lights, and more. For diaper-changing, use a family washrooms, available throughout the airport. All airside restrooms have changing tables and children’s toilets.
- Baggage Carts - Yes, located in the baggage claim area and curbside near terminal entrance. Fee: $5.00 per cart.
- Car Rentals - Yes, see our Airport Transportation section below.
- Children’s Area - There are 3 Kid Zones in the airport, 2nd Level near Gates, AA2, B2 and C5.
- Food & Drinks - There are restaurants and coffee shops located both landside (includes 2 grab-and-go options) and airside. Hours are not known. There are 3 vending machines located on the 1st Level.
- Information Desk - Yes, located on the 1st Level beside Carousel 1 and 2.
- Mobile Charging - There are mobile chargers located throughout the 2nd Level.
- Observation Deck - Located beside Gate B4 on the 2nd Level.
- Prayer Room - A Meditation Room is open on the Upper Level, close to Gate C1.
- Shopping - A small variety of gift shops are available.
The airport is open 24 hours; however, the TSA security checkpoints are only open from 4:30AM until the last flight departure of the day.
The following car rental agencies offer service onsite in the BHM Rental Car facility, located in Section 1B on the ground level of the parking deck: Alamo • Avis • Budget • Dollar • Enterprise • Hertz • National • Payless • Thrifty.
Several companies offer scheduled or on-demand shuttle service to and from the airport. Reservations are usually required in advance. Contact your service provider of choice for details.
Shared-ride shuttles offer service to and from BHM, but usually need to be booked in advance. Contact your service provider of choice for details.
Metered taxis are readily available 24 hours a day on the ground level outside of the baggage claim area.
Last Updated: 02 January 2017
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items mentioned in the guide, please email us at email@example.com.