Chicago Midway Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Chicago Midway Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the name of a hotel near the airport in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
Concourse B is very big and cozy. I slept in a chair and time flew by.
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported back to us during their time at Chicago Midway International Airport.
What to Expect
- Chicago Midway is a mid-sized airport with three concourses (Concourses A, B and C).
- Delays and cancellations are largely due to inclement weather, especially in the winter. Some reviewers chose to stay overnight for an early flight out.
- The airport provides WiFi. See WiFi information in the airport guide below.
Where to Sleep
- After security checkpoints close for the night, passengers will not be allowed to wander between landside and airside.
- Reviewers describe sleeping landside as difficult and uncomfortable due to bright lights, repeated overhead announcements and overall lack of comfortable seating. Third floor has a few seats without armrests, but space between them makes them uncomfortable to sleep on.
- Ticketed passengers, who are already airside, may be allowed access to a designated overnight sleeping room in Concourse A, subject to availability. Have earplugs or noise-cancelling headphones handy to block out those loud snorers! See our More Services section below for location.
- According to some reviewers, Concourse C is used infrequently and is the quietest and cleanest of the terminals, with easy access to restrooms and power outlets. There are no benches, so the floor is your only option there. Have a travel mattress, blanket and sleep mask handy for a good night’s rest!
- For uninterrupted sleep, there are hotels near the airport that provide free airport shuttles. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
For more information about the services and facilities available, scroll down to continue exploring our Chicago Midway Airport Guide. Send us your airport tips to help us keep this information up to date.
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
- USO Lounge - The USO offers a lounge that is free of charge to members of the US military and their families. Amenities include: TV lounge, snacks, computers and a library. Location: Concourse C, Airside. Hours: 9:00AM - 9:00PM. This USO extends its hours to 24-hours when there have been major flight cancellations.
Free WiFi is available at Chicago Midway Airport for 30 minutes. For uninterrupted, commercial-free access, a premium high-speed service is also available for a fee. 1 hour, 24 hour and 1 month plans available. Rate for 24 hour access is $6.95.
If sleeping at the Chicago Midway Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport that offer free airport shuttles:
- Holiday Inn Express & Suites Chicago Midway Airport - (3 minutes from the airport) Free shuttle service runs to Midway Airport and the Midway Orange Line station.
- Hilton Garden Inn Chicago Midway Airport - (3 minutes from the airport) Free Red Trolley shuttle service runs to Midway Airport and the Midway Orange Line station.
- Hampton Inn Chicago Midway Airport - (3 minutes from the airport) Free 24-hr airport shuttle service available. For airport pick-up, call 708-496-1900, exit Door 2 Lower Level Baggage Claim and wait by the middle curb next to the “Midway Hotels” sign.
- Hyatt Place Chicago Midway - (5 minutes from the airport) Free 24-hour airport shuttle.
- Chicago Marriott Midway - (3 minutes from the airport) Free airport shuttle available at the airport. For pick-up at the airport, use the courtesy phone to contact the hotel.
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Midway Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - Yes, available throughout the airport (landside and airside).
- Baggage Carts - Available. Fees: unknown.
- Car Rentals - Yes, see our Airport Transportation section below.
- Chapel - Location: Mezzanine, Level C
- Cots - In the event of bad weather or massive flight cancellations, this airport has a supply of cots for stranded travellers. If you are stranded during a weather delay, contact an airport employee to find out when the cots are located. A reader tells us "Cots are located at gate A4A. Just slept on them last night. They had about 100 or so laid out. The same loud police officer came in making all sorts of noise at 4:30AM waking us up and getting us on our way." Unfortunately, the cots are not available for travellers who simply decide to spend the night in the airport. Due to the amount of wacky email we receive about this, we'll also let you know that cots cannot be "reserved".
- Currency Exchange - Yes, available on Concourse A, airside, near A1
- Food & Drinks - Most food concessions throughout the airport operate with varying schedules. These options are open 24 hours: Gold Coast Dogs (Main Terminal, Boulevard) • Landings (Main Terminal, Baggage Claim) • Pegasus On The Fly (Main Terminal, Boulevard).
- Information Desk - Location, Main Entrance of Terminal. Hours: unknown.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - not available
- Mobile Charging - Charge your electronics at any of the “Get Plugged In” charging stations, power-equipped seats or seated Power Stations located throughout the terminal at the Ticketing Level, concourse gates and Baggage Claim areas.
- Nursing Room - Includes sink, counter and TV. Location: Airside, Concourse C, next to the Yoga Room.
- Showers - not available
- Yoga Room - The yoga room has a tv that displays yoga poses to follow. Location: Airside, Concourse C. Hours: 6:00AM - 10:00PM.
The airport is open 24 hours. The TSA security checkpoints are open 3:30AM - 11:00PM.
Keep in mind that TSA, airline check-in and baggage drop hours vary according the flight schedule. Check these hours with your airline. If you are in the public area of the terminal (landside) you will not be able to get through to the secure area of the terminal (airside) until the morning.
From the airport you can travel to the Amtrak via subway or taxi. A taxi ride will take approximately 15 minutes. Taxis are located curbside on the lower level.
Alternatively, you can take the subway from the Midway Transportation Center, located adjacent to the airport. Take the Orange Line to LaSalle and then change to the Blue Line towards Forest Park. You will exit at Clinton Station and then walk ten minutes to Union Station. Total travel time is approximately 45 minutes, including walking time.
Nine CTA public bus routes serve Midway Airport from points all over the city of Chicago. For more information on routes and fares, visit the Transit Chicago web site.
PACE suburban public bus system serves the Chicago area suburbs. Seven PACE bus routes serve the airport via the Midway Transportation Center: Routes 379, 382, 383, 384, 385, 386 and 390. For fares and information, visit the PACE web site.
Midway Airport is served by several regional bus companies, transporting passengers between Midway Airport and destinations in Illinois, Wisconsin, Iowa and Indiana. Contact your service provider of choice for further information.
The Midway Airport Rental Car Facility houses the following car rental agencies: Alamo, Avis, Budget, Dollar, Enterprise, Hertz, National, Thrifty and Rent-A-Wreck. The facility is located on the perimeter of the airpark at 55th Street. Free shuttle service runs between the Rental Car Facility and the airport at the Arrivals Lower Level front curb near Door 3, outside of baggage claim.
Several area hotels offer free airport shuttle service as a convenience for their guests. Contact your hotel of choice for shuttle service availability and information. Here are a few hotels that offer airport shuttle service: Carlton Inn Midway • Clarion Hotel Midway Airport • Courtyard Chicago Midway Airport • Fairfield Inn Chicago Midway Airport • Hampton Inn Chicago-Midway Airport • Hilton Chicago/Oak Lawn • Hilton Garden Inn Chicago Midway Airport • Holiday Inn Countryside • Holiday Inn Express Chicago-Midway Airport • Hyatt Place Chicago Midway Airport • Marriott Chicago Midway • Residence Inn Chicago Midway • Sleep Inn Midway Airport • Super 8 Bridgeview/Chicago Area.
Shared Ride Shuttle
Go Airport Express provides door-to-door shared ride or exclusive ride service between the airport and the Chicago metropolitan area. Service runs daily from 6:00AM - 11:30PM. Shuttles depart every 15 minutes from Arrivals, Lower Level outside of Door 3 on the inside lane. Wheelchair-accessible shuttles are available, but advanced reservation is strongly suggested.
Taxi stands are located curb front on the lower level of the terminals. Wheelchair-accessible taxis can be requested by calling United Dispatch. For safety reasons, please do not accept rides from the airport from a taxi that is not operating from the designated taxi stands.
The CTA Orange Line train runs between Midway Airport Orange Line station and downtown Chicago for a total trip time of 20 - 25 minutes in one direction. The Midway Transportation Center houses the Midway CTA Orange Line station, and is connected to the east side of the terminal via covered walkway. For information on schedules and fares, visit the Transit Chicago web site.
Last Updated: 13 June 2016
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items mentioned in the guide, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.