Fairbanks Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Fairbanks Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the name of a hotel near the airport in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
The folks in the office will even give you a little kit with a toothbrush, etc. if your pack didn't arrive on the same plane as you. - Philip
photo credit: Young Juan / Wikimedia
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported back to us during their time at Fairbanks Airport.
What to Expect
- Fairbanks International airport is a small airport with seven gates, two for commuter carriers and five for larger carriers.
- WiFi is available. See WiFi in the airport guide below.
Where to Sleep
- Overnight stays are common in Fairbanks airport and the staff are friendly and accommodating, if your luggage didn’t arrive with you they will give you a small kit of toiletries. The seating is comfortable and there are plenty of quiet places to stretch out whether it is on benches or the floor, the best place is on the lower level by the arrivals terminal, past the big stuffed bear. The last review we received on Fairbanks Airport was 2009; if you’ve visited recently please write a review!
- For uninterrupted sleep, there are hotels near the airport that provide airport shuttles. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
For more information about the services and facilities available, scroll down to continue exploring our Fairbanks Airport Guide. Send us your airport tips to help us keep this information up to date.
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
There are no pay-per-use airport lounges at this airport.
- YMCA Military Lounge - For members of the military only. Location: Lower level, near baggage belts.
If sleeping in Fairbanks Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- La Quinta Inn & Suites Fairbanks - (10 min walk from the airport) Free airport shuttle service available.
- Pike's Waterfront Lodge - (3 min from the airport) Free airport shuttle service available. For airport pick-up, collect luggage and then use the courtesy phone at the bottom of the elevator as you exit baggage claim. Pike’s is number 3 on the courtesy phone.
- Best Western Chena River Lodge - (5 min from the airport) Free airport shuttle service available.
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Fairbanks Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
Free WiFi is available throughout the airport terminal.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - ATMs are available at three locations: 1st floor next to the escalator (landside), across from Ravn Alaska ticketing counter (landside) and next to the TWIGS Alaskan Gifts airside location.
- Baggage Carts - Rate: unknown.
- Car Rentals - Yes, see our Airport Transportation section below.
- Duty Free & Shopping - TWIGS Alaskan Gifts has two locations: 1st floor (landside) for the general public, and another located airside for ticketed passengers. Hours: Daily from 5:00AM - 1:00AM.
- Food & Drinks - Two dining options are available: Starbucks (airside. Hours: 4:30AM - 9:00PM) • The Local @FAI (airside. Hours: 6:00AM - 1:00AM).
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - not available
- Massage Chairs - Location: near Gate 3. Rates: unknown.
- Showers - There are no showers at this airport.
The airport and security screenings points are open 24 hours.
Fairbanks Airport is served by local transit bus route Yellow Line. For route map, schedule and fares, visit the FNSB website.
Onsite car rental agencies include Avis, Budget, Dollar, Hertz and National/Alamo.
Several area hotels provide airport transportation service as a courtesy to their guests. Here are a few hotels offering airport shuttle service: La Quinta Inn & Suites Fairbanks • Best Western Plus Chena River Lodge • Bridgewater Hotel • Golden North Motel • Regency Fairbanks Hotel • River's Edge Resort • Sophie Station Suites • SpringHill Suites Fairbanks • Super 8 Fairbanks
Taxis and Shuttles
Taxis and shared-ride shuttles are available in the ground transportation area of the terminal during airport hours of operation. All taxis are metered and reservations are not required.
Last Updated: 09 January 2017
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items mentioned in the guide, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.