Gainesville Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Gainesville Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the name of a hotel near the airport in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
Sandwich place was nice but closed early. After the last evening flight left (11:00) peaceful & quiet. - Harold
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported back to us during their time at Gainesville Regional Airport.
What to Expect
- A tiny three gate airport with limited facilities that close at night. Be sure to purchase your food and drink before the concessions close for the night.
- The airport provides free WiFi. See WiFi information in the airport guide below.
Where to Sleep
- After security checkpoints close for the night, passengers are restricted to landside only. Passengers sleeping airside will be required to go back to landside until security reopens, and will need to clear security again to re-enter. Have a travel mattress and blanket handy for your overnight stay landside!
- For uninterrupted sleep, there are hotels near the airport that provide free airport shuttles. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
For more information about the services and facilities available, scroll down to continue exploring our Gainesville Airport Guide. Send us your airport tips to help us keep this information up to date.
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
There are no pay-per-use lounges at the airport.
Free WiFi is available at Gainesville Airport.
If sleeping in Gainesville Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Holiday Inn Gainesville University Center - (12 min from the airport) Free airport shuttle service.
- Sweetwater Branch Inn - (10 min from the airport) Airport shuttle service operates 7:00AM to 6:00PM daily, and is available for $15 one way or $25 roundtrip. Must pre-book hotel shuttle at least 24 hours in advance. For airport pick-up, claim your luggage and call (352) 373-6760 so the hotel can send the shuttle to the airport.
- Wyndham Garden Gainesville - (15 min from the airport) Free airport shuttle service (subject to availability).
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Gainesville Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - Yes, in the baggage claim area.
- Car Rentals - Yes, see our Airport Transportation section below.
- Currency Exchange - Not available
- Food & Drinks - Tailwind Gainesville is a full-service restaurant and gift shop on the landside of the airport. A smaller cafe/snack bar/gift shop version of Tailwind is located airside in the west side waiting area. Hours: 4:30AM until last flight arrival. Vending machines are also available.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - not available
- Rest Area - Frequent travellers and members have access to the Ultimate Road Warrior lounge, a quiet area with a sofa, chairs and TV. Sleeping is NOT permitted!
- Showers - not available
The airport terminal is open from 3:30AM - 12:30AM, or adjusted according to the day’s flight schedules. Sleeping in the airport overnight is not permitted.
Gainesville Airport is served by RTS bus routes 25 and 39. For route maps, schedules and fares, visit the RTS website.
Onsite car rental agencies include Alamo, Avis, Budget, Enterprise, Hertz and National.
Several area hotels provide airport transportation service as a courtesy to their guests. Here are a few hotels offering airport shuttle service: Best Western Gateway Grand • Hilton University of Florida Conference Center Gainesville • Holiday Inn Gainesville University Center • Wyndham Garden Gainesville • SpringHill Suites Gainesville
Authorized airport taxis are available in the ground transportation area of the terminal during airport hours of operation. All taxis are metered and reservations are not required.
Last Updated: 09 January 2017
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items mentioned in the guide, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.