Hilo Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Hilo Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the name of a hotel near the airport in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
The airport lounge is the best in the world, with its huge comfy armchairs, tons of space, and soft Hawaiian music. - a traveller
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported back to us during their time at Hilo Airport.
What to Expect
- Described as "Small, out-of-date and sleepy", the large departure lounge boasts large cushioned armchairs, Hawaiian background music, outdoor gardens and not much else.
- There are no food options once you are through security, so eat beforehand.
Where to Sleep
- As of February 2017, we have no reviews from travellers who attempted to sleep in Hilo airport. Write a review to help future travellers!
For more information about the services and facilities available, scroll down to continue exploring our Hilo Airport Guide. Send us your airport tips to help us keep this information up to date.
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
If you are an economy class traveller, you can enter these lounges at Hilo airport either by purchasing a lounge pass or through a membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details (ie. facilities, hours, pass and membership information):
- Hawaiian Airlines Lounge - Location: Airside, in the northwest corner of the passenger departure lounge on the first floor. Below gate 6. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door • Hawaiian Airlines Premier Club Membership.
If sleeping in Hilo Airport does not appeal to you, there are several hotels within 2 miles from the airport. Here are the hotels nearest to the airport:
- Hilo Seaside Hotel - (2 miles from the airport) No airport shuttle.
- Castle Hilo Hawaiian Hotel - (2 miles from the airport) No airport shuttle.
- Reeds Bay Resort Hotel - (2 miles from the airport) No airport shuttle
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Hilo Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
WiFi is available at Hilo Airport inside the Hawaiian Airlines Lounge.
- ATMs - Located landside near the restaurant, to the left of the Security Check Point
- Car Rentals - Yes, see our Airport Transportation section below.
- Disabled Services – The airport has a number of accessibility services, including elevators, curbside loading, parking spaces, first aid and AEDs, porter services, family rest rooms, text telephones and telecommunications relay services.
- Food & Drink - The airport restaurant is open from 5:30AM - 7:00PM, and the bar is open from 11:00AM - 7:00PM.
- Information Desk – Located throughout the airport and open from 6:00AM to 8:30PM daily.
- Luggage Carts - Available for rent at baggage claim and curbside in Lobby 4.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers – There is no baggage storage available at the airport.
- Shopping - Leis and souvenirs can be purchased from three gift shops in the airport. A newsstand is also available. Shops operate on varying schedules, depending on flight schedules.
- Smoking Area – Prohibited from “cabin to curb”. Smokers must be more than 20 feet away from any entryway.
The airport is open from 5:30AM - 9:00PM.
Onsite car rental agencies include Advantage, Alamo, Avis, Budget, Dollar, Hertz and National. Harper’s and Enterprise provide free shuttle service between the airport and their nearby off-site locations.
Taxis and Shuttles
Taxis are available in the taxi rank outside, in front of baggage claim. All taxis are metered and reservations are not required. At the time of this update, a one-way fare to Banyan Drive hotels is $11, and to Hilo Town or Pier is $13. SpeediShuttle offers door-to-door shared ride service to and from the airport.
Last Updated: 15 January 2017
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items mentioned in the guide, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.