Kona Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Kona Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the name of a hotel near the airport in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
They can't close the doors because there are no doors but they have a motion sensoring.
- wandering fox
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported back to us during their time at Kona International Airport at Keahole.
What to Expect
- A small open-air international airport with two terminals (Terminals 1 and 2) and limited shopping and dining options
Where to Sleep
- Any passengers attempting to overnight at the airport are directed by airport security to the hard wooden benches at the small rental car facility across the street from the airport. Have a travel mattress and pillow handy to add some comfort!
- For uninterrupted sleep, there are hotels near the airport. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
For more information about the services and facilities available, scroll down to continue exploring our Kona Airport Guide. Send us your airport tips to help us keep this information up to date.
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
- Hawaiian Premier Club - Location: airside
WiFi is not available at Kona.
If sleeping in Kona Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Courtyard King Kamehameha’s Kona Beach Hotel - (15 min from the airport) No airport shuttle.
- Kona Seaside Hotel - (15 min from the airport) No airport shuttle
- Holiday Inn Express & Suites Kailua-Kona - (15 min from the airport) No airport shuttle.
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Kona Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - Yes
- Baggage Carts - Available in the baggage claim area. Rate: unknown.
- Car Rentals - Yes, see our Airport Transportation section below.
- Duty Free & Shopping - Each terminal has a small gift shop, a lei stand and a newsstand.
- Food & Drinks - Food & Drinks - At the time of this update, there are no 24-hour dining options. Laniakea by Centerplate is the only restaurant available Location: North & South Terminals.
- Information Desk - Information desks are located throughout the airport and are staffed with volunteers from 7:45AM - 9:00PM.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - not available
- Showers - not available
- Smoking - The only place to smoking in the airport vicinity is the uncovered parking lot.
- Space Center - The Astronaut Ellison S. Onizuka Space Center is an educational facility dedicated to the memory of Hawaii’s first astronaut who perished aboard the Challenger Mission in 1986. Hours: 8:30AM - 4:30PM.
The airport is open from approx. 4:00AM - last flight. (unconfirmed)
The following car rental agencies serve the airport in nearby off-site locations: <a href="http://www.kqzyfj.com/click-3264176-11221786-1353007466000" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">Alamo</a>, Avis, Budget, Dollar, Enterprise, Hertz, National and Thrifty. Free shuttle service runs between the airport and the car rental agencies, stopping at the center median across from Baggage Claim areas A and B to pick up and drop off passengers.
SpeediShuttle offers door-to-door shared-ride service between the airport and destinations throughout the island. A SpeediShuttle service counter is available in Baggage Claim.
Taxis are available curbside, outside of Baggage Claim areas A and B, on a 24-hour basis. All taxis are metered, and reservations are not required. The following estimated one-way fares were current at the time of this update in December 2015: Kailua Kona Town $25; Kaiminani Drive $20; Kona Hospital $45; Kings Shops/Queens Marketplace $50; Waimea $100 and Volcano/Hilo $300.
Last Updated: 12 February 2017
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items mentioned in the guide, please email us at email@example.com.