Long Island Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Long Island Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the name of a hotel near the airport in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
After midnight, the place is real dead and I got some quality Z's.
- a traveller
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported back to us during their time at Long Island MacArthur Airport.
What to expect
- A tiny airport with a food court, a Starbucks, two gift shops and an art gallery.
- Shops and restaurants close for the night, and reopen again at 5:00AM, so bring snacks and drinks for your overnight stay!
- The airport provides WiFi. See WiFi below.
Where to Sleep
- After the secure zone closes, the only place to sleep is landside. No special area was mentioned by reviewers, but the airport is very quiet at night. Bring a travel blanket and pillow for extra comfort!
- For a more comfortable and uninterrupted sleep, there are nearby hotels that provide an airport shuttle. See Airport Hotels below.
Good to Know
- If you plan to sleep overnight at the airport, get there before the airport closes or you will be locked out!
For more information about the services and facilities available, scroll down to continue exploring our Long Island Airport Guide. Send us your airport tips to help us keep this information up to date.
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
There are no pay-per-use lounges at this airport.
Free WiFi is available at this airport for a period of 1 hour. Additional time can be purchased for $4.99 per calendar day. Connect to “optimumwifi” network, open browser, click “GUEST” and follow the instructions.
If sleeping in Long Island Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- La Quinta Inn & Suites Islip MacArthur Airport- (3 min from the airport) Free airport shuttle service available daily from 7:00AM to 9:00PM.
- Courtyard Long Island MacArthur Airport - (9 min from the airport) Free airport shuttle service available on request. For airport pick-up, call 1-631-612-5000 or use the courtesy phone in the airport.
- Hilton Garden Inn Islip/MacArthur Airport - (3 min from the airport) Free airport shuttle service daily from 5:00AM to 11:00PM.
To find a cheap room, there is a list of hotel deals on Long Island on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price.
- Art in the Airport - Feast your eyes on local works of art at the Art Gallery in the Atrium at MacArthur Airport. Location: At the Arrivals exit, landside.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - One ATM is located landside in the Main Terminal, across from the Law Enforcement Office. Another ATM is located airside in front of the Starbucks across from Gate A5 in the Veterans Memorial Concourse.
- Baby Care Facilities - Feed and care for your baby in comfort and privacy in the Mother’s Room. Changing tables, comfortable rockers, hand sanitizer, and more are available, and the room is accessible to mothers and their babies or toddlers, free of charge. Location: Veterans Memorial Concourse, airside, East Checkpoint, across from the Starbucks.
- Car Rentals - Yes, see our Airport Transportation section below.
- Food & Drinks - Food concessions throughout the airport operate on varying schedules, with most opening daily at 5:00AM. At the time of this update, there are no 24-hour dining options. Food options include: A&W All-American Food • Great American Bagel • Maggie O’Shea’s • Starbucks.
- Live-brary - Suffolk County Public Library cardholders can enjoy ebooks, audiobooks, music, and movies free of charge. Download the titles of your choice to your mobile device at the “Live-Brary” kiosk located in the main terminal.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - not available
- Shopping - Two gift shops and a travelmart are available in the airport.
- Showers - not available
The airport is open 24 hours. However, the TSA security checkpoint is open from 4:30AM until the last flight departure.
MacArthur Airport is served by Suffolk Bus Route S57, 7 Bus (service to/from NYC) and the Hampton Jitney.
The following car rental companies are available at Long Island McArthur Airport: A-Car • Enterprise • Budget • Avis • National • Thrifty • Hertz. Location: Baggage Claim area.
Several area hotels provide airport transportation service as a courtesy to their guests. Here are a few hotels offering airport shuttle service: Clarion Hotel & Conference Center • Courtyard Long Island MacArthur Airport • Hilton Garden Inn Islip/MacArthur Airport.
Last Updated: 27 February 2017
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items mentioned in the guide, please email us at email@example.com.