Maui Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Maui Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the name of a hotel near the airport in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
[The security officer] became irate and called his supervisor who asked me to leave the airport premise for being "uncooperative??!! - fellowpacker
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported back to us during their time at Kahului Airport.
What to Expect
- A small open-air airport. Mosquitoes, mosquitoes...everywhere! Bug-repellant is a MUST!
- Minimal shopping and dining options
- The airport provides does not provide WiFi, but internet kiosks are available. See WiFi below.
Where to Sleep
- Sleeping in the airport is frowned upon, but some of our reviewers were able to do so. After security checkpoints close for the night, passengers are restricted to the baggage claim area. One reviewer slept on one of the stone benches, while another slept in an airport wheelchair, and then a luggage cart. Have a travel blanket and pillow handy to add some comfort to your stay!
- Bring earplugs or noise-cancelling headphones, as the airport’s Hawaiian music soundtrack can get pretty loud!
- There are no hotels directly at the airport. However, there are nearby hotels that provide an airport shuttle. See Airport Hotels below.
Good to Know
- Economy class passengers can find comfort in the Hawaiian Club lounge with a membership. See Airport Lounges below for more info.
For more information about the services and facilities available, scroll down to continue exploring our Maui Airport Guide. Send us your airport tips to help us keep this information up to date.
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
- Hawaiian Airlines Premier Club - Location: Gate 17. Lounge Access: Hawaiian Airlines Premier Club.
- WiFi is not available at the Maui airport.
- Internet kiosks are avilable on the second level at Gates 9, 15, 21B, 33, 35. Rate: $0.20 per minute.
If sleeping in Kahului Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Courtyard Maui Kahului Airport - (4 min from the airport) Free airport shuttle service available on request from 7:00AM to 11:00PM.
- Maui Seaside Hotel - (7 min from the airport) Free airport shuttle service available daily from 6:00AM to 9:00PM (seat must be reserved at least 24 hr in advance). Call (808) 877-3311 to schedule service.
- Maui Beach Hotel - (7 min from the airport) Free airport shuttle service available daily from 6:00AM to 9:00PM (seat must be reserved at least 24 hr in advance). Call 808-877-0051 to schedule service. Shuttle also goes to surrounding area within 5 mile distance on request (subject to availability, must be arranged with Front Desk).
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Kahului Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - ATMs are available on the ticketing lobby • baggage claim • Rotunda (central, 2nd floor)
- Baggage Trolleys - Location: Baggage claim and ticket lobby areas. Fees: unknown.
- Car Rentals - Yes, see our Airport Transportation section below.
- Food & Drinks - There are no 24-hour food and beverage concessions at this airport.
- Information Desk - Information desks can be founds throughout the airport and are staffed from 7:45AM - 9:45PM.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - not available
- Showers - not available
- Smoking - Smoking is prohibited in the airport, look for the designated area in the parking lot.
The airport is open about 1 - 1.5 hours before first flight departure and closes about 30 minutes after last flight arrival.
Maui Airport is served by Route 40 (Upcountry Islander) and Route 35 (Haiku Islander). Both buses depart every 90 minutes, from about 6:45AM - 10:45PM, and costs $1 per ride. Only one medium-sized suitcase is allowed per passenger. For route maps and schedules, visit the County of Maui website.
Car rental services are offered in the car rental building, connected to the baggage claim area by walkway. Onsite car rental agencies include Alamo, Avis, Budget, Dollar, Enterprise, Hertz, National and Thrifty. Advantage offers free shuttle service from the airport to its nearby off-site location. To request pick up, use the direct-dial courtesy phone on the Information Center board in Baggage Claim.
Several area hotels provide airport transportation service as a courtesy to their guests. Here are a few hotels offering airport shuttle service: Courtyard Maui Kahului Airport • Maui Beach Hotel • Westin Maui Resort.
Maui Airport Shuttle offers door-to-door shared ride shuttle service between the airport and lodging throughout Maui. Rides can be booked at the service counter in the baggage claim area, and reservations are not required. Hours of operation are from 5:30AM until the last flight.
Taxis are available outside of the baggage claim area during airport operating hours. All taxis are metered, and reservations are not required. At the time of this update, a one-way fare between the airport and Kahului is $13.
Last Updated: 17 June 2016
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items mentioned in the guide, please email us at email@example.com.