Milwaukee Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Milwaukee Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the name of a hotel near the airport in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
even though there were armrests on the most uncomfortable chairs, sleeping was still possible because of the silent ambience of this place. - Derek
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported back to us during their time at General Mitchell International Airport.
What to Expect
- A modest-sized airport with three concourses (Concourses C,D and E).
- After airport restaurants and shops close for the night, Starbucks (main terminal) is your only option for late night and early morning food and beverage, open 24 hours a day.
- The airport provides WiFi. See our WiFi below for details.
Where to Sleep
- After security checkpoints close for the night, passengers are restricted to landside only. Passengers sleeping airside will be required to go back to landside until security reopens, and will need to clear security again to re-enter.
- From the landside area, near the right-side of the Concourse C entrance, is an internet corner/workstation area with large silver cubicles and a heated wall. One of our reviewers slept there comfortably and successfully!
- Most of the chairs throughout the airport are hard and have armrests. Some reviewers still managed to sleep by propping their feet on an opposite seat.
- The few auto-pay massage chairs located in the landside area offer a somewhat comfortable chair to sleep on, if you can snag one.
- Prepare for terminal noise and/or cold temperatures.To improve your chances of sleeping comfortably, have a blanket and some earplugs or noise-cancelling headphones handy!
- In the event of major flight cancellations due to bad weather, the airport has a supply of cots.
- There are no hotels at the airport. However, there are nearby hotels that provide an airport shuttle. See Airport Hotels below.
Good to Know
- Economy class passengers flying on Delta Airlines can find comfort in a lounge, which is accessible by purchasing a day pass or Delta Sky Club membership. See Airport Lounges below for locations and rates.
For more information about the services and facilities available, scroll down to continue exploring our Milwaukee Airport Guide. Send us your airport tips to help us keep this information up to date.
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
If you are an economy class traveller, you can enter these lounges at Milwaukee airport either by purchasing a lounge pass or through a membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details (ie. facilities, hours, pass and membership information):
- Delta Sky Club - Location: Concourse E. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (US$59.00) • Delta Sky Club Membership.
USO Lounge - The USO offers a lounge that is free of charge to members of the US military and their families. Amenities include: WiFi, TV lounge, snacks, and reading materials. Location: Airside, Concourse D, across from Gate D30. Hours: 8:00AM - 8:00PM.
If sleeping in Milwaukee Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Best Western Plus Milwaukee Airport Hotel & Conference Center - (4 min from the airport) Free 24-hr airport shuttle service available.
- Super 8 Milwaukee Airport - (4 min from the airport) Free 24-hr airport shuttle service available.
- Hilton Garden Inn Milwaukee Airport - (5 min from the airport) Free 24-hr airport shuttle service available. For airport pick-up, use the courtesy phone in the baggage claim area and wait by the center median outside of Baggage Claim #4.
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Milwaukee Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
Free WiFi is available at the Milwaukee Airport for 20 minutes. When your time is up, you can pay for additional time. Connect to the Boingo network. Rates from $ 4.95 (1 hour) • $7.95 (24 hours) • $9.95 (unlimited).
- ATMs / Cash Machines - ATMs are available in the Main Terminal, landside, Upper Level and also Concourses C and E.
- Baggages Carts - Available throughout the airport. Rate: unknown.
- Bookstore - In June 2016, a helpful traveller sent us a message recommending the bookstore located landside.
- Banking - There is a BMO Harris Bank in the Main Terminal, landside, Upper Level.
- Car Rentals - Yes, see our Airport Transportation section below.
- Children's Play Areas - Locations: all 3 concourses.
- Cots - In the event of bad weather or massive flight cancellations, this airport has a supply of cots for stranded travellers. If you are stranded during a weather delay, contact an airport employee to find out when the cots are located. Unfortunately, the cots are not available for travellers who simply decide to spend the night in the airport. Due to the amount of wacky email we receive about this, we'll also let you know that cots cannot be "reserved" and we don't know where they are kept. Please speak to a gate agent or an airport employee.
- Food & Drinks - Food concessions throughout the airport operate with varying schedules. These options are open 24 hours: Starbucks (Main Terminal, landside, Upper Level near Concourse D security checkpoint).
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - not available
- Gallery of Flight Aviation History Museum - An interesting and informative display of memorabilia from the aviation pioneers of Milwaukee and Wisconsin. Location: Upper Level, landside, between Concourses C and D.
- Showers - not available
- Traveler's Aid - This is a non-profit organization that assists stranded and distressed passengers. Volunteers assist passengers with general airport and destination queries to assisting with situations such as transportation assistance, lost or stolen money, wiring money, emergency housing, etc. Location: Main Concourse. Hours: 9:00AM - 9:00PM (Mon - Thurs & Sat) • 9:00AM - 5:00PM (Fri) • 1:00PM - 9:00PM (Sun).
- Workstations - Locations: Concourse C.
The airport is open 24 hours.
Keep in mind that TSA, airline check-in and baggage drop hours vary according the flight schedule. Check these hours with your airline. If you are in the public area of the terminal (landside) you will not be able to get through to the secure area of the terminal (airside) until the morning.
Buses, Coaches and Shuttles
MCTS GreenLine service connects the airport to downtown Milwaukee, Bayshore Town Center, Bayshore/Whitefish Bay area, UVM, Milwaukee’s east and south sides and Walker’s Point. MCTS Route 80 service connects the airport to downtown Milwaukee, including the downtown MATC campus, and the MATC-South Campus in Oak Creek. For route maps, schedules and fares, visit the MCTS website.
GO Riteway offers door-to-door shared ride shuttle service between the airport and Milwaukee, southeastern Wisconsin or northern Illinois (including Chicago).
Badger Coaches, Coach USA and Lamers offer coach service to Milwaukee area, surrounding region and counties throughout Wisconsin. Contact your service provider of choice for details. Coaches pick up outside of Baggage Claim 2.
Onsite car rental agencies include Alamo, Avis, Budget, Dollar, Enterprise, Hertz, National, Payless and Thrifty.
Several area hotels provide airport transportation service as a courtesy to their guests. Here are a few hotels offering airport shuttle service: Best Western Plus Milwaukee Airport Hotel & Conference Center • Clarion Hotel Airport • Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Milwaukee Airport • Courtyard Milwaukee Airport • Hampton Inn Milwaukee Airport • Hilton Garden Inn Milwaukee Airport • Hyatt Place Milwaukee Airport & Spa • Sleep Inn & Suites • Super 8 Milwaukee Airport
Taxis are available in the taxi lane located behind the car rental area, outside and across from Baggage Claim 3. All taxis are metered, and reservations are not required.
Amtrak’s Hiawatha line runs between Intermodal Station in downtown Milwaukee, and Union Station in Chicago. Trains stop at Milwaukee Airport Rail Station, which is connected to the airport terminal via free shuttle service. Shuttle pick up is outside of Baggage Claim Door 4. For route map, schedules and fares, visit the Amtrak Hiawatha website.
Last Updated: 17 June 2016
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items mentioned in the guide, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.