New York City La Guardia Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our New York City La Guardia Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
I really think I heard the announcement in my head for days afterward.
In December 2015 there are multiple news reports of up to 50 homeless people and squatters taking over the terminals at night and even bathing (naked) in the public restrooms. Do not attempt to sleep here alone. We recommend you to get a hotel room or find an alternative overnight option until the situation improves!
"luxury" armrest rest free metal seating
by a guest traveller
July 2015 - We landed in the terminal that serves Delta (Terminal C) and we were going to have to stay overnight in the airport. One of the security officers told us that Terminal B is the place to stay because it has a food court. We went to Terminal B and around midnight, an officer was asking people if they were staying overnight, and if so to follow him. There was a section of the terminal where they laid out cots, pillows, and blankets for people to sleep. Very cool! I don't know if they do the same for Terminal C, but they did in Terminal B.
Have you been to La Guardia Airport recently? Write a Review!
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
If you are an economy class traveller, you can enter these lounges at New York City LaGuardia airport either by purchasing a lounge pass or through a membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details (ie. facilities, hours, pass and membership information):
- Air Canada Maple Leaf Lounge - Location: Central Terminal Building, Landside, Concourse A, Level 3. Hours: 5:00AM - 8:00PM (Daily). Lounge Access: Book Online ($25/$50) • Priority Pass • Maple Leaf Club Membership.
- American Airlines Admiral's Club - Location: Terminal C, Airside, next to Gate C28. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (US$ 50.00) • Admiral's Club Membership.
- American Airlines Admiral's Club - Location: Airside, Concourse D, near Gates D1 and D2. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (US$ 50.00) • Admiral's Club Membership.
- Centurion Lounge - Location: Terminal B, Landside, 3rd Floor, between Concourse B and C. Lounge Access: American Express® Card Members can purchase a one day pass. Access is complimentary for Platinum and Centurion cardholders.
- Delta Sky Club - Location: Terminal B, Airside, Concourse D, before Gate 2. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (US$50.00) • Delta Sky Club Membership.
- Delta Sky Club - Location: Terminal C, across from the food court. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (US$50.00) • Delta Sky Club Membership.
- United Club - Location: United Terminal, Landside, 3rd Floor. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (US$ 50.00) • United Club Membership.
Free WiFi is available at LaGuardia Airport for 30 minutes. Beyond this time limit you can purchase additional time through Boingo. Additionally, Internet Kiosks are available airside in the Central Terminal at Gate D3.
If sleeping in La Guardia Airport does not appeal to you (and we really wouldn't blame you!!!), there are hotels near the airport:
- New York LaGuardia Airport Marriott - (5 min from the airport) Located across from the Terminal C. Free airport shuttle service available on request.
- Hampton Inn New York LaGuardia Airport - (4 min from the airport) Located within walking distance of Terminal C (9 minutes). Free airport shuttle service available.
- LaGuardia Plaza Hotel - (4 min from the airport) Free shuttle service to the airport, subway and Queens Center Mall.
- Courtyard New York LaGuardia Airport by Marriott - (7 min from the airport) Free airport shuttle service runs every 15 minutes. Shuttle also goes to top restaurants in the immediate area. For airport pick-up, use the courtesy phone to call the hotel.
To find a cheap room, there is a list of hotels near LaGuardia Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - Yes, in all terminals (airside and landside).
- Currency Exchange - Location: Terminal B, landside, near the Air Canada ticket counter. Hours: 8:00AM - 8:00PM (Mon - Sat) • 8:00AM. to 6:00PM (Sun). Travelex has ATM’s available in Terminals A & B (landside & airside) and Terminals C & D (airside).
- Drinking Water - Hydration Stations are available before and after security.
- Food & Drinks - At the time of this update it was not known if there are any 24-hour food or beverage concessions. Doubtful, so bring your own food if you are going to waiting around landside as the options are very limited.
»Terminal A: There are no food options before security. There are 3 food concessions in this terminal (airside).
»Terminal B: There are a few landside food options, but many more options located past security.
»Terminal C: Landside, your only food and beverage option will be the Dunkin' Donuts kiosk. On the airside, there are about 12 concessions to choose from.
»Terminal D: The only concession located landside is a World Bean outlet. Once you get through security, there 9 other fast food outlets.
- Information Desk - Welcome Centers are located in the Baggage Claim level of every terminal. Hours. unknown.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - No
- Mobile Charging - Located both Landside and Airside in all Terminals
- Showers - No
According to an email I received from a reader in October 2015, the only terminal that remains open 24 is Terminal B.
Keep in mind that TSA, airline check-in and baggage drop hours vary according the flight schedule. Check these hours with your airline. If you are in the public area of the terminal (landside) you will not be able to get through to the secure area of the terminal (airside) until the morning.
The New York City Airporter is a shuttle bus service with transportation between LaGuardia and Penn Station where the Amtrak Station is located. From the airport’s Ground Transportation Center or the baggage claim area look for the Airporter’s agents wearing green jackets for more information. The buses stop outside each Terminal’s baggage claim area. Board the bus heading to Penn Station departing every 30 minutes on the hour and half hour. The ride will be approximately 35 minutes. For more information, visit the NYC Airporter web site.
A taxi ride will be similar travel time at 35 minutes.
NYC Airporter provides express bus service between LaGuardia Airport - Grand Central Station (41st Street between Lexington & 3rd Avenue) - Penn Station (West 33rd Street between 6th and 7th Avenues next to Sbarro’s Pizzeria) - Port Authority Bus Terminal (42nd Street between 8th and 9th Avenues). Free WiFi is available on-board. If you are arriving at LaGuardia and haven't purchased your tickets online, you can purchase tickets at their desk in the Ground Transportation Welcome Center or from a sales agent outside the baggage claim. The bus departs from all terminals. A complimentary van transfer is provided to travellers starying at mid-town hotels between 23rd and 63rd Streets. Hours of operation: 5:00AM - 11:30PM. Frequency: every 20-30 minutes. Travel time: 60 minutes. Fares: $16 per person (one way) or $28 per person (round-trip). The online rate is $26 per person (roundtrip). For more information, visit the NYC Airporter web site.
These New York City bus lines serve LaGuardia Airport: M60 - connects the airport with Upper Manhattan; the N, Q, 4, 5, 6 subway lines; and the Metro-North Railroad Q70 Limited/ Q47 - connects the airport with western Queens and Midtown Manhattan; and the E, F, M, R and 7 subway lines. two central Queens bus lines - Q72 (Corona and Rego Park) and Q48 (Flushing) For schedules, fares and route information, visit the MTA web site.
Rental cars are available at LaGuardia through a number of car rental companies. Rental agencies provide frequent free shuttle bus service between LaGuardia's terminals and their pickup/drop-off locations. Car rental companies at LaGuardia Airport include: Advantage • Alamo • Avis • Budget • Dollar • Enterprise • Hertz • National • Payless • Thifty.
Some area hotels provide courtesy airport shuttle service for their guests. Hotel shuttles pick-up outside each terminal. Ask your hotel about shuttle service details and availability. Here are some hotels that offer airport shuttle service: Airway Inn at LaGuardia • Best Western Plus LaGuardia Airport Hotel Queens • Comfort Inn At LaGuardia Airport • Courtyard New York LaGuardia Airport • Fairfield Inn New York LaGuardia Airport / Astoria • Fairfield Inn New York LaGuardia Airport/Flushing • Hampton Inn New York LaGuardia Airport • Holiday Inn LaGuardia Airport • Hotel de Point • LaGuardia Plaza Hotel - New York • New York LaGuardia Airport Marriott • Sheraton LaGuardia East Hotel • SpringHill Suites by Marriott New York LaGuardia Airport.
The New York City metropolitan area is served by three major airports: JFK International Airport, LaGuardia Airport and Newark Liberty International Airport. Aside from taxis, limousines and hired car services, there are other options for transferring between the airports. The NYC Airporter provides service between LaGuardia and JFK or LaGuardia and Newark Airport (via Port Authority Bus Terminal transfer to a partner service). All County Express and ETS Air Shuttle also provide service between LaGuardia and JFK or Newark Liberty Airport. Contact your service provider of choice for schedules and fares.
LaGuardia’s free daily shuttle service transports passengers throughout the airport premises. Route A shuttles travel between all terminals in 30 minute intervals (15 minute intervals during peak times) from 4:00AM - 12:30AM. Route B shuttles travel between Terminals B, C, D and the airport parking lots in 15 minute intervals (7 minute intervals during peak times) from 5:00AM - 2:00AM.
Shared Ride and Private Car Service
Shared ride vans and private cars and limousines can be booked on arrival at the Port Authority Welcome Center, located on the Arrivals Level of each terminal. Self-service kiosks are available nearby for use when the Welcome Centers are closed. Do not accept rides or assistance with luggage from anyone who approaches you in the terminal. Only seek the assistance of a uniformed staff member if needed.
There is no subway or train service to LaGuardia Airport.
Taxis are available in front of all terminals. Ignore offers of transportation from solicitors in the terminal as this is illegal and they may be unlicensed and uninsured. To obtain ground transportation information, visit the Port Authority Welcome Center in the arrivals area of each terminal, where uniformed staff will assist you. Alternately, head directly for the taxi stand located outside each terminal for safe and legitimate transportation.
Last Updated: 14 November 2015
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airport's and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items mentioned in the guide, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.