Orange County John Wayne Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Orange County Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the names of some airport hotels in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
I don't think many people spend the night at John Wayne airport, so it's not really set up with stragglers in mind. - flute
Terminal C. Photo credit: sca / Wikimedia
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported back to us during their time at John Wayne Airport.
What to Expect
- A small, user-friendly airport consisting of three terminals (Terminals A, B and C) and a main passenger terminal area.
- After airport restaurants and shops close for the night, vending machines are the only in-airport snack option. Plan ahead and buy your food and drinks before the concessions close.
- The airport provides free WiFi. See WiFi information in the airport guide below.
Where to Sleep
- After security checkpoints close for the night, passengers are restricted to landside only. Passengers sleeping airside will be required to go back to landside until security reopens, and will need to clear security again to re-enter.
- The airport is not the most comfortable for overnighters, but there are a few hard wooden benches in the terminal. Have a travel mattress, pillow and blanket handy for some added comfort, whether you sleep on a bench or on the floor.
- On the Upper Level (Departures), look between the two ticketing areas for a dark and slightly secluded horseshoe-shaped alcove. Hidden behind a giant American flag are two curved wooden benches.
- For uninterrupted sleep, there are hotels near the airport that provide free airport shuttles. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
Good to Know
- Economy class passengers can pay to use one of the first class lounges. See our Airport Lounges section for locations and rates.
For more information about the services and facilities available, scroll down to continue exploring our Orange County Airport Guide. Send us your airport tips to help us keep this information up to date.
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
If you are an economy class traveller, you can enter these lounges at Orange County airport either by purchasing a lounge pass or through a membership program. Visit the individual lounge page for more details (ie. facilities, hours, pass and membership information):
- American Airlines Admirals Club - Location: Terminal A, Airside, Mezzanine level, adjacent to Gate 8. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (US$ 59.00) • Admirals Club Membership.
- United Club - Location: Terminal B, Airside, across from Gate 9. Lounge Access: Pay at the Door (US$ 59.00) • United Club Membership.
USO - The USO offers a lounge that is free of charge to members of the US military and their families. Amenities include: TV Lounge, Snacks. Location: Terminal B, Arrival Level (lower) next to Baggage Carrousel 4. Hours: 6:00AM - 10:00PM.
If sleeping in Orange County Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Hilton Irvine Orange County Airport - Located across the street from the airport. Free airport shuttle service available on request (subject to availability).
- Radisson Hotel Newport Beach - (4 min from the airport) Free shuttle service to the airport and local area.
- Fairmont Newport Beach - (4 min from the airport) Free airport shuttle service available, arranged through the Bell Desk at the hotel.
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Orange County Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
Free WiFi is available at John Wayne Airport. Connect to the "JWAFREEWIFI" network.
- Art Gallery - Location: Airside, Departure Level, North Concourse, opposite Gates 11-14
- ATMs / Cash Machines - Locations: Terminal A (Gate 7) • Terminal B (Gate 10) • Terminal C (Gate 17) • Baggage Claim (Lower Level, Arrivals, near Carousels 1, 4, 6 and 7).
- Baby Care Facilities - Baby Change Facilities are available throughout the airport.
- Baggage Carts - SmarteCartes available throughout the airport. Rate: unknown.
- Car Rentals - Yes, see our Airport Transportation section below.
- Currency Exchange - not available. Exchange services are available off-airport grounds.
- Food & Drinks - Most food concessions throughout the airport operate with varying schedules. There are no 24-hour dining options.
- Information Desk - An information desk is located at each of the main entrances of Terminals A, B and C.
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - not available
- Mobile Charging - free mobile charging is available between the backs of the passenger seating rows.
- Powerpoints - Recharge your electronics at most gate areas. Outlets are located between the backs of the seating rows.
- Showers - not available
- Spa - XpresSpa - Manicures, pedicures, facials, massages and more services are available. Location: Terminal B, airside, Gate 10.
- Workstations - Locations: Terminal C, gate areas.
The airport is open from 4:30AM until 12:00AM.
The Disneyland Resort Express bus offers scheduled service between the airport and Disneyland Resort hotels. A designated bus stop is located in the Ground Transportation Center on the Arrivals (Lower) Level.
John Wayne Airport is served by Orange County Transportation Authority (OCTA) bus routes 76 and 212, and Irvine Shuttle (iShuttle) Route A. iShuttle links the airport to the Tustin MetroLink Station. For route maps, schedules and fare information, visit the OCTA website or City of Irvine iShuttle website.
Car rental services are available on the Arrivals (Lower) Level, between Terminals A and B. Onsite car rental agencies include Advantage, Alamo, Avis, Budget, Dollar, Enterprise, Hertz and National. The following car rental agencies offer free shuttle service to their nearby off-site locations: Airport Van Rental, Allied Rent A Car, AM-PM Rent A Car, American Eagle Car Rental, Firefly, Fox/Payless, Go Rentals, Orange County Van Rental, Los Angeles Van Rentals, SNA Auto Rental, Stop Then Go Rent-A-Car, Thrifty, United and U-Save Car & Truck Rental.
Several area hotels provide airport transportation service as a courtesy to their guests. Here are a few hotels offering airport shuttle service: Atrium Hotel at Orange County Airport • Ayres Hotel & Suites in Costa Mesa - Newport Beach • Clarion Inn & Suites John Wayne Airport • Costa Mesa Marriott Suites • Courtyard Irvine John Wayne Airport/Orange County • Courtyard Santa Ana John Wayne Airport/Orange County • DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Irvine Spectrum • DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Santa Ana - Orange County Airport • DoubleTree Club by Hilton Orange County Airport • Embassy Suites by Hilton Irvine - Orange County Airport • Holiday Inn Santa Ana - Orange County Airport • Irvine Marriott • Travelodge Orange County Airport/Costa Mesa.
Several companies offer scheduled or on-demand shuttle service to and from the airport. These shuttles can be found on the Arrivals (Lower) Level of the airport in the Ground Transportation Center. Contact your service provider of choice for service area information, fares and reservations.
Taxis are available in the Ground Transportation Center on the Arrivals (Lower) Level between Terminals A and B, and at Column 14 on the Arrivals (Lower) Level of Terminal C. All taxis are metered, and reservations are not required.
Last Updated: 13 June 2016
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items mentioned in the guide, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.