Richmond Airport Guide
In this section you will find traveller airport reviews as well as our Richmond Airport Guide with info on WiFi, lounges, facilities and services....and yes, even the name of a hotel near the airport in case you decide that sleeping in the airport is not for you!
Outside of security, there is one very good place to sleep: at the base of the escalator
To help you plan your layover or overnight sleepover, we are here to give you the low-down on what travellers have reported back to us during their time at Richmond International Airport.
What to Expect
- A small two-level airport with two concourses (Concourse A and Concourse B) and a good variety of dining options
- The airport provides free WiFi. See WiFi information in the airport guide below.
Where to Sleep
- After security checkpoints close for the night, passengers are restricted to landside only. Passengers sleeping airside will be required to go back to landside until security reopens, and will need to clear security again to re-enter.
- Check out the Business Center, located on the 2nd floor near the Ticketing area. Access is unrestricted, and the room usually quiet and empty.
- One reviewer slept in the corner near the entrance doors, across from the Ticketing counters.
- Due to the uncomfortable seating available in the airport, all overnight reviewers slept on the floor in various areas of the terminal. Have a travel mattress handy for added comfort!
- For uninterrupted sleep, there are hotels near the airport that provide free airport shuttles. See Airport Hotels in the airport guide below.
For more information about the services and facilities available, scroll down to continue exploring our Richmond Airport Guide. Send us your airport tips to help us keep this information up to date.
In this guide we may refer to locations as "landside" and "airside". Landside is the public area of the terminal located in the non-secure zone, before security. Airside is the secure area of the terminal that you must reach by going through security.
There are no pay-per-use lounges at the airport.
USO Lounge - The USO offers a lounge that is free of charge to members of the US military and their families. Amenities: internet/WiFi, snacks, video games. Location: on the lower level to the left of the escalators. Hours: 8:00AM - 9:00PM.
If sleeping in Richmond Airport does not appeal to you, there are hotels near the airport:
- Richmond Airport Hotel - (10 min walk or 5 min from the airport) This is the closest hotel to the airport, located just across the street. Free shuttle service to the airport and surrounding area (within 3 mile radius).
- Courtyard Richmond Airport - (6 min from the airport) Free shuttle service to the airport and surrounding area (within 3 mile radius), upon request. For airport pick-up, call 1-804-652-0500 or use the courtesy phone in baggage claim.
- Best Western Plus Richmond Airport Hotel - (7 min from the airport) Free shuttle service to airport and local area available from 4:30AM to Midnight.
To see more options there is a list of hotels near Richmond Airport on Tripadvisor that can be sorted by price, distance, traveller rating and popularity.
Free WiFi is available at the airport. Connect to the “RIC” network.
- ATMs / Cash Machines - ATMs are located on the 1st and 2nd Levels (landside and airside).
- Business Center - Workstations, with free WiFi and LAN connections, are free to use at the airport’s business center. Conference rooms are available to rent for a fee. Location: Upper Level connector, landside, just before security checkpoints. Hours: 5:00AM - 10:00PM.
- Car Rentals - Yes, see our Airport Transportation section below.
- Chapel - Collect your thoughts in peace at the airport’s interfaith chapel. Location: Lower Level Hours: Open 24 hours.
- Currency Exchange - BB&T Bank has a full-service branch at the airport, with foreign currency exchange service available. Location: Upper Level connector, landside, just before the security checkpoints Hours: 10:00AM - 2:00PM (Mon-Fri)
- Food & Drinks - Food concessions throughout the airport operate on varying schedules with some options open as early as 4:45AM. At the time of this update, there are no 24-hour dining options.
- Information Desk - The Visitor Information Center offers airport and local area information and assistance. Location: Lower Level Hours: 9:30AM - 4:30PM (Mon-Fri), 12:00PM - 5:00PM (Sat, Sun)
- Luggage Storage & Lockers - not available
- Showers - not available
The airport is open 24 hours. The TSA checkpoints are open 4:30AM - 8:30PM.
Keep in mind that airline check-in and baggage drop hours vary according the flight schedule. Check these hours with your airline. If you are in the public area of the terminal (landside) you will not be able to get through to the secure area of the terminal (airside) until the morning.
The Greater Richmond Transit Company (GRTC) connects the airport to most areas throughout the Richmond metropolitan area. For route maps, schedules and fare information, visit the GRTC website.
Car rental services are available on the lower level of the airport terminal, near the central entrance. Onsite car rental agencies include Alamo, Avis, Budget, Dollar, Enterprise, Hertz, National, Payless and Thrifty.
Several area hotels provide airport transportation service as a courtesy to their guests. Here are a few hotels offering airport shuttle service: Best Western Plus Richmond Airport Hotel • Candlewood Suites Richmond Airport • Courtyard Richmond Airport • Four Points by Sheraton Richmond Airport • Hampton Inn Richmond-Airport • Hilton Garden Inn Richmond Airport • Holiday Inn Express Richmond Airport • Homewood Suites Richmond Airport • Hyatt Place Richmond Airport • Richmond Airport Hotel.
Taxis are available, during airport hours of operation, curbside at the center section on the lower level, between the North and South parking garages. All taxis are metered, and reservations are not required.
Last Updated: 24 June 2016
The information in this Airport Guide is based on information collected and/or received from the airports and their web sites. The information above is subject to change without notice. Use it for informational purposes only to help you during your stay. To report errors, or to add/change any items mentioned in the guide, please email us at email@example.com.